Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

changing car to spanish plates

changing car to spanish plates

Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

1964paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changing car to spanish plates

i have a 11 year oldcar to change over to spanish plates ,will it cost a lot in tax.and how much is their road tax itv .
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: changing car to spanish plates

Minds immeasurably more powerful than mine will be able to answer the first part, it's a sliding scale based on age and emissions.

Road tax varies with where you live and is paid directly to the Town Hall, mine was 48€ last year for a 2 litre 4x4.

ITV which for your vehicle is annual, under ten years is bi annual is about the same. The initial inspection is around 140€.

There are countless threads on this subject.

HTH and Welcome
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:07 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

Allow for around 800 euros for the bookwork; BUT add the cost of new headlights if you haven´t already changed them. ALSO the rear lights have to conform if you do not have two reversing lights and two high intesity (rear fog light).

If the car is American the there are additional costs

Davexf
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

Are you sure about the two reversing lights and fogs lights? My car only has one of each and is legal.

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi and welcome to BE

Allow for around 800 euros for the bookwork; BUT add the cost of new headlights if you haven´t already changed them. ALSO the rear lights have to conform if you do not have two reversing lights and two high intesity (rear fog light).

Davexf
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: changing car to spanish plates

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi and welcome to BE

Davexf
Way too much mine is a 14year old diesel and the tables come to a total of euro 68. I have changed the lenses on the headlights £30 and it already has 2 reverse & 2 rear fog lamps so all I have to get is the ECC which is proving difficult since Skoda UK say that they do not have one. I know that they were available here in Spain since I parked next to exactly the same model and colour in the car park down town one day and I looked very carefully for any small differences and could not see any. It is the last true Skoda but with the VW diesel. Now they are a full subsidiary of VW it probably does not show on their massive computer system.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 19th 2012 at 5:52 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim1963
Are you sure about the two reversing lights and fogs lights? My car only has one of each and is legal.
Single lights have to be on the correct side of the car but the lenses will probably provide for the one on the other side anyway so just pop along to a scrappy and get the lamp holder fittment and you then have two lights which is legal but not needed if your single lamp is on the correct side in the first place. There is a good chance the wiring loom will also have the correct outlets.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim1963
Hi

Perhaps I phrased it badly; If your car has only one reversing light and / or one high intensity rear light, then they MUST be on the correct side. That is the High intensity light has to light up the white line in the middle of the road, the reversing light has to light up the kerb.

Davexf
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

They didnt quibble about our Smarts reversing light or the one a friend did, since had other ITV´s without problem
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1964paul
i have a 11 year oldcar to change over to spanish plates ,will it cost a lot in tax.and how much is their road tax itv .
The cost of above encapsualtes much that is wrong with the Spanish economy, amounting as it does to hundreds of Euros, where the cost should be less than €100.
Take for example the 'simple' task of changing ownership of a newly bought vehicle. Simple and straightforward in the UK whereas in Spain it's an involved legal procedure necessitating the employment of legal 'officials'.
The bureaucracy and legal procedures which dominate much of Spanish business life stifle any real chance of advancement and will continue to do so until the whole economy is modernised. Sadly however I fear such changes will take many years as there still remain so many vested interests in maintaining the status quo.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
The cost of above encapsualtes much that is wrong with the Spanish economy, amounting as it does to hundreds of Euros, where the cost should be less than €100.
Take for example the 'simple' task of changing ownership of a newly bought vehicle. Simple and straightforward in the UK whereas in Spain it's an involved legal procedure necessitating the employment of legal 'officials'.
The bureaucracy and legal procedures which dominate much of Spanish business life stifle any real chance of advancement and will continue to do so until the whole economy is modernised. Sadly however I fear such changes will take many years as there still remain so many vested interests in maintaining the status quo.
understand how you feel but if it is not a new car being bought from an authorised dealer (and covered by the necessary import licences) you have to consider that so far as Spain is concerned it is a car being imported which has to be checked as being fully roadworthy and complying with the original manufacturers specification.
Surely the same would apply in the UK or any other country that is interested in ensuring the vehicle isnt a danger to its people and the users.

If you have any complaint that Spain is treating you or any other Brit in an illegal way then you have every right to take your complaint to the Brussels Fun House. See you in 20 years or so........
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Domino, sorry I think I may have been a little off topic. I was referring to the registering of a new vehicle and the the procedure when selling one to another person.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:21 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Hi Domino, sorry I think I may have been a little off topic. I was referring to the registering of a new vehicle and the the procedure when selling one to another person.

perhaps I was as well Biff

Spain is still struggling out of the very early 20th century, having been held back for decades by Franco.
many of my Spanish acquantances say that he died leaving them 30years behind the rest of the world.

the Spanish history is based on using "professionals" for everything, surely partly because of an enduring lack of education, making work for notaries, gestors etc etc all over the place.

in this little town 2 such have closed their rented offices and the one round the corner has his property up for sale but still working in it

yes there is oooddles of beaureaucrats but the modern ones I have recently found in Govt offices are bright cheerful and efficient, finishing the transaction whilst you sit there, not sending you away for a month or six.

my BH has recently put her car thru the ITV process for an older car being transferred to Spain so we have seen it all the hard way, partly because the ITV engineers are professional and will not pass something they have doubts about. It must conform to the original spec or it gets sent back until it does - personally I have respect for that no nonsense attitude.

rgds
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
perhaps I was as well Biff
my BH has recently put her car thru the ITV process for an older car being transferred to Spain so we have seen it all the hard way, partly because the ITV engineers are professional and will not pass something they have doubts about. It must conform to the original spec or it gets sent back until it does - personally I have respect for that no nonsense attitude.
rgds
So you have recent chapter and verse on what I have to do. What form No's I need to go armed with and where you have to go to do it.
Did you have the European Certificate of Conformity (ECC) or did you do it without. I have a current valid MOT from UK and I am not sure if you start the process by getting an ITV or does that come later or do you need one at the start on UK plates and one at the end on Spanish plates? Give us the target data and the arcs of fire and we can zero in on the target without collateral damage.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO it is just as expensive, there are (different) hoops to jump through and just as many palms to grease when importing a car into that other third world impoverished state which the UK is fast becoming.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
So you have recent chapter and verse on what I have to do. What form No's I need to go armed with and where you have to go to do it.
Did you have the European Certificate of Conformity (ECC) or did you do it without. I have a current valid MOT from UK and I am not sure if you start the process by getting an ITV or does that come later or do you need one at the start on UK plates and one at the end on Spanish plates? Give us the target data and the arcs of fire and we can zero in on the target without collateral damage.
Technico report first
ITV
pay road tax
pay import duty, whoops sorry admin fee, get plates, change insurance and bingo

oh yes, when we did the Smart, new rules, we had to get a certificate from consulate to say we had left uk, at cost of about 150 euros, also you need empadronamiento, well we did last time, not with Disco.

took several months with our Smart as Spain said our model didnt exist, Technico sorted that

Disco took short few weeks and cost about 550 euro start to finish, it is elderly, they do go on engine size, cost when new, reducing each year, technicos have small black book, they can tell you cost of admin

we did ours but left the last bit to local gestor to complete as we would have had at least 2 trips to Granada, cheaper to let her do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.