Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marinas in Ayamonte

Marinas in Ayamonte

Old May 21st 2008, 2:17 am
Just Joined

kenmcquade is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Marinas in Ayamonte

Does anyone have experience of the marinas in Ayamonte / Isla Canela or even Villa Real. It has always been my intention to bring my boat from UK (to Isla Canela) but with the expansion of the marina in town (Ayamonte), possible expansion at Isla Canela sometime, there are now other possibilities.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Marinas in Ayamonte

Originally Posted by kenmcquade
Does anyone have experience of the marinas in Ayamonte / Isla Canela or even Villa Real. It has always been my intention to bring my boat from UK (to Isla Canela) but with the expansion of the marina in town (Ayamonte), possible expansion at Isla Canela sometime, there are now other possibilities.
Hi,
The marina at Isla Canela/Punta Moral is about €3000 for a 27footer

Personally I would moor at Ayamonte as it's easier access for river, thats where I am planning for mine... when i win the lottery !
Old May 21st 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Try sending a PM to fincasteve. He lives upriver, and, I believe, he also knows about marinas in this area.
Carol
Old May 21st 2008, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have visited the river and further upstream it is a popular over wintering place but for me the entrance is a tad restrictive in terms of tide and depth to keep the boat there all the time. The bar is well out past the end of the breakwater and quite exposed. It is true that many of the entrances along that bit of coast have sand bars and restricted access, with the exception of Mazagon but there is a hell of a waiting list there.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kenmcquade
Hi Ken,

Have been off line for a while so only just caught up with your post.

There are several marinas in the Ayamonte region and all reasonable places to keep a boat, but they are pretty full. Ayamonte recently extended and I was told the places had all been resereved although when I checked with the office a few months ago they seemed to have room. The Marina in Vila Real, that's opposite and in Portugal is also pretty full but they are talking about doubling the size so there may well be some room in the not too distant future. It does have an horrendous tidal rin acorss the entrance on the ebb and suffers from swell at times, but those with their boats there seem to enjoy it.

The entrance to the Guadiana is a little shallow but I had no problems even at low water with 20m length and 2 m draft. Smaller boats have been pooped when there is an spring ebb against a strong south easterly wind, but this can be a problem for all the river/harbour entrances on this coast and sensible precautions should keep you safe.

Islas Canela and Christina both have marinas. These are just round from the Guadiana in a safe harbour. Christina is run by the Junta de Andalucia and the Canela one is private. Both have all facilities although I have heard some comment that Canela can be a little unhelpful.

What size of yacht are you talking about? Presumably around the 40 foot mark. My advice would be to check all these out for availability and prices before you get too settled on where you are going and if all all else fails you can always sail up the Guadiana where you can anchor for FREE. well for now anyway.

Good luck.