Marinaleda

Old May 26th 2008, 8:30 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marinaleda

Now that we are rather limited with the TV, we have been watching more Spanish programmes. We watched one about a place called Marinaleda near Osuna. It is a small town that dicided to take things into their own hands, and fight for employment, land and housing. The population started with artichokes and now have different products. They have a canning factory and have built 360 houses for the people. The houses are detatched and cost about 24000 euro. The owners help to build and any work done by themselves is credited for with a reduction in price. The houses cannot be sold (to stop speculation) but they can be passed down. There is full employment and they have seasonal work for outsiders. There are nursery places for the children at 12 euro a month. Here is the link to Marinaleda.
http://www.marinaleda.com/inicio.htm
It seems to be working, with the population working towards a common goal. I found the programme really intereting. Did anyone else see it?
Old May 26th 2008, 8:53 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marinaleda

Didn't see it unfortunately but Marinaleda is very local to me. It's a strange place, virtually communist, quite a bit of extreme graffiti to be seen on buildings, has a very amusing TV channel all of its own with a bearded communist preaching almost 24/7. Has a good radio station too! Quite a few Brits live there now.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:29 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Didn't see it unfortunately but Marinaleda is very local to me. It's a strange place, virtually communist, quite a bit of extreme graffiti to be seen on buildings, has a very amusing TV channel all of its own with a bearded communist preaching almost 24/7. Has a good radio station too! Quite a few Brits live there now.
I saw the bit about the TV channel,Is he the new Castro??? Is is a nice place??
Old May 26th 2008, 9:32 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

He certainly does a good impression! It's an...OK place, wouldn't choose to live there personally though.
The bar, Palo Palo, mentioned in the following article used to be an OK live music place but it's probably the only bar I've ever been into in Spain where I've actually been made to feel "uncomfortable" by the regulars, well yoofs!
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Marinaleda

Last edited by Hillybilly; May 26th 2008 at 9:43 pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hillybilly; has a very amusing TV channel all of its own [QUOTE]

Up until this year they used to relay a couple of the pay per view football matches free every weekend, plus the discovery channel or the 40 latino music channel during the weekl
Sadly I fear the mayor must have been warned off, as this practise has now stopped

Power to the people

ps
Just read your link and the reference to a court case in Estepa. That would explain it.

Last edited by big wheels; May 27th 2008 at 12:04 am.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:17 pm
Structural Surveyor

Marinaleda's own TV channel still going strong on the internet
http://www.tvmarinaleda.com/
Enjoy!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:44 pm
Structural Surveyor

Was reminded today of another piece of info re Marinaleda (did they mention this on TV I wonder?!)....it is presently "home" to the largest plague of termites in Spain with nearly 400 houses known to be affected so far (I found another one today, that's what reminded me ).