Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car hire Malaga Airport

Car hire Malaga Airport

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Car hire Malaga Airport

Hi , we're considering booking a car from Holiday Autos, Hertz or similar ;
someone suggested that , besides spare bulbs , 1st aid kit , 2 red triangles etc , the car should also be equipped with :
- fire extinguisher ( ? ) ,
- reflective waistcoats etc...
Would any one know : are rental vehicles usually eqipped , as to comply with all of the above ?
Alternatively , what to do , in order to avoid any fines ?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:08 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car hire Malaga Airport

Originally Posted by Ray51
Hi , we're considering booking a car from Holiday Autos, Hertz or similar ;
someone suggested that , besides spare bulbs , 1st aid kit , 2 red triangles etc , the car should also be equipped with :
- fire extinguisher ( ? ) ,
- reflective waistcoats etc...
Would any one know : are rental vehicles usually eqipped , as to comply with all of the above ?
Alternatively , what to do , in order to avoid any fines ?
Hire cars should be equiped as these are legal requirements for motoring in Spain.
No fire extinguisher though.
If you want child seats you will have to tell them on booking.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:23 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
Hire cars should be equiped as these are legal requirements for motoring in Spain.
No fire extinguisher though.
If you want child seats you will have to tell them on booking.
and get one that working
here the car at the airport thay tryed to give me
Attached Thumbnails Car hire Malaga Airport-newbmw.jpg  
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
and get one that working
here the car at the airport thay tryed to give me
At least it has brake lights. ;-))
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:42 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
At least it has brake lights. ;-))
just the one olny lol and trought in the free drinks like some airline used to do look to left off me top the engine

Last edited by jurdyr; Jun 3rd 2008 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Hi Ray.

We’ve hired many times now for our visits, and can safely say that not one of the cars had ANY of these things available.

We carry the reflective waistcoats as that’s easy, but you couldn’t possibly know what bulb kit to get (or indeed want to buy it). The triangles are heavy, so we go without those, and we carry a small first aid kit only. (fire extinguisher maybe not a requirement?)

Obviously the rental companies are letting us down by not kitting the cars out legally. I suppose when booking you could ask them to confirm they will provide what’s needed?

Driving properly and not attracting the attention of the rozzers seems to be the way to avoid problems.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Pobman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have hired from 5-6 companies probably a total of 40 cars over the years and only once did I get a yellow jacket, never got any of the other items.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Thanks , everyone !
Seems we better take our own reflective jackets , at least , and to hell with the fire extinguisher ?
Was thinking of booking online with Holiday Autos or Hertz/suchlike ( we only need a small economical air-con'd runabout , to take us , 2 adults , up & down to Nerja/La Herradura maybe , a few times , plus to have a browse around Velez Malaga , Torrox , Frigiliana ) - any better ideas , re : chice of rental firm , anyone ???
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

2weeks ago booked through doyouspain.com car was provided by auriga crown had yellow jkts (in glovebox) and triangles no bulbs that I found. Car was very good little Hyundai with air con cost £152 for 10 days that included the full tank of petrol.
Bob
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I’ve mostly used carjet.com who have never let me down. They source from the on-airport rental companies, mostly in my case Europa Rent A Car. The cars have without exception been perfect, and never any hassle on return, when you’re on a strict timetable for your plane.

According to the AA motoring advice webpage, you don’t need a fire extinguisher, but they do mention bulbs, the tools to fit them and a warning triangle. One warning triangle is apparently compulsory for foreign registered vehicles, but two are AA recommended as, in an accident or breakdown situation, ‘local officials’ may impose a fine if only one is produced.

Don’t forget that a driver who wears glasses should carry a spare pair with them. I have heard of this being picked up, but it would have to be a nit-picking traffic cop I suppose.

Satnavs are legal, but anything else with a screen that the driver can see is not.

Something I just learnt is that apparently it is NOT mandatory to carry a hi-vis vest in your vehicle. However, the wearing of one is compulsory if the driver and/or passengers get out of the vehicle when immobilised on motorways and main roads.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toyboy23
I’ve mostly used carjet.com who have never let me down. They source from the on-airport rental companies, mostly in my case Europa Rent A Car. The cars have without exception been perfect, and never any hassle on return, when you’re on a strict timetable for your plane.

According to the AA motoring advice webpage, you don’t need a fire extinguisher, but they do mention bulbs, the tools to fit them and a warning triangle. One warning triangle is apparently compulsory for foreign registered vehicles, but two are AA recommended as, in an accident or breakdown situation, ‘local officials’ may impose a fine if only one is produced.

Don’t forget that a driver who wears glasses should carry a spare pair with them. I have heard of this being picked up, but it would have to be a nit-picking traffic cop I suppose.

Satnavs are legal, but anything else with a screen that the driver can see is not.

Something I just learnt is that apparently it is NOT mandatory to carry a hi-vis vest in your vehicle. However, the wearing of one is compulsory if the driver and/or passengers get out of the vehicle when immobilised on motorways and main roads.
I used Carjet years ago, had a free Upgrade, car was easy to find at Malaga airport, anyway I broke my foot one night after falling of a kerb trying to hail down a taxi in Benalmadena, the Europa people collected the car from the Hotel and even sent someone to bring me back to the airport for my return a few days later, I think at the time I had a Focus Estae for £107 for 7 day but only had four day use out of it, no surcharge, no fuel levy, no hassle only bliss really considering all that happened.

I have not used them recently however.

A hi vis top is probably one of the lightest things you can carry in your luggage so worth taking if none in the car maybe, The last car I hired had all you needed in the Glovebox, that was Avis at Salou.