Reload this Page >

Marina development

Marina development

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

David and Margaret is on a distinguished road
Default Marina development

Hi ,
We haven’t visited our holiday home since December last year and wonder what progress or not has been made on completing the project . Any news would be welcome .
Many thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marina development

Forgive my ignorance but I wasn't aware a Marina Development has been started. I recall talk of the fish farm being developed our side of the bridge, but I'm not aware it came to anything concrete. There have been works going on to reclaim a strip of land adjacent to the portugal ferry in town ,but I don't believe its a Marina ? So I'm not sure what you refer to ! Please explain. I'd like to see a Marina Development, but there seems to be plenty of boat docking space in the existing town marina.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this what you are referring to:-

Ayamonte Looks to the River

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Keith my details of a marina were misleading but Martin’s description was in fact what I was referring to ( thank you ) .
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ive not been back since late March so not sure what sort of progress they’ve made. Looking forward to coming back again in the next few weeks.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Marina development

Wow, I'm feeling like Manuel in Fawlty Towers --- I KNEW NOTHING. I take a keen interest in what goes on around Ayamonte, but had not seen this proposal at all. This area has always been very shabby and tired so I'm really chuffed to see the plans. Thanks for raising the issue. Certainly nothing was happening in March when we were there. The town really needs this badly if it is going to appeal to tourists a bit more in future. I've often thought some bars overlooking the river at sunset would be lovely to spend an hour or two. Perhaps we will get some now. But, they still have to get the businesses out of the falling down former Canary buildings. The info Ayamonte article doesn't mention a completion date but I suggest we are looking at a couple years. Progress on the work on the Paseo going up to the ferry seems to have been ridiculously slow. Some of the building there need pulling down as well !
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:11 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT View Post
Wow, I'm feeling like Manuel in Fawlty Towers --- I KNEW NOTHING. I take a keen interest in what goes on around Ayamonte, but had not seen this proposal at all. This area has always been very shabby and tired so I'm really chuffed to see the plans. Thanks for raising the issue. Certainly nothing was happening in March when we were there. The town really needs this badly if it is going to appeal to tourists a bit more in future. I've often thought some bars overlooking the river at sunset would be lovely to spend an hour or two. Perhaps we will get some now. But, they still have to get the businesses out of the falling down former Canary buildings. The info Ayamonte article doesn't mention a completion date but I suggest we are looking at a couple years. Progress on the work on the Paseo going up to the ferry seems to have been ridiculously slow. Some of the building there need pulling down as well !
Dont mention the war! They withdrew those episodes from streaming after the protests.

Things are slowly looking up. The 'Marina development' ( not to be confused with the Marina/fish farm) should be great, but its taking time. I'm not sure that the footfall will support all the current facilities (bars + restos etc) and the new, so some may close. But riverside facilities would be wonderful with great views. Cleaning up that messy area

With Sugar Reef opening a new bar in La Lota, that will also add a buzz there revitalising that lovely small square, that suffered for years.

Our Golf + clubhouse was a great improvement and I cant wait for the new bar/resto to open above the shop. Finally we, apparently, have a legally complete business ready to trade 'properly' and run by people with experience of the hospitality industry, both so important and lacking before.

I heard that they bought the 2nd unit upstairs, pointing up the hill - and am curious as to what the plans are for that... Rumours aside!

It's also encouraging that this is happening in spite of the current crisis..

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 24th 2020 at 10:17 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Tbh Mike & I love this part of Ayamonte & everytime we drive along the road it makes us think of the fabulous painting above (The Tuna Catch by Joaquin Sorolla). I know it's a bit shabby but rather than knock down those lovely old buildings (reminiscent of a bygone era) wouldn't it be better to utilise them rather than build horrid modern ones with no character. One of our other favourite places is Vila Real de SA & that also has a lot of beautiful old buildings that are in need of a bit of tlc. We are not against using them as restaurants/bars etc & making the area more pedestrian friendly but something in keeping with Ayamonte & its history would be preferable. I don't know how many of you have ever visited Puerto Banus but to me something on those lines would be our worst nightmare.😱

Last edited by MikeCol; Jul 24th 2020 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hello there ,
When we drove on the back road to Ayamonte , right after the parador roundabout we were amazed at the amount of old and not so pleasant buildings that had been demolished as part of the scheme . Progress there was in contrast to the works being carried out on the stretch by the ferry which was obviously more detailed and technical. I guess it is the end result that is important .