AS and Marca

Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:53 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default AS and Marca

Does anyone know how much these daily sports publications make? (Of course they have radio now as well as the newspaper).
I remember thinking years ago the writing was on the wall for this type of publication, yet here they are seemingly stronger than ever. I suspect most of their revenue is from advertising, but see that circulation still holds up (2.7 million readership / 403,000 sold daily for Marca)
I couldn't explain why, but I always preferred AS to Marca when based in Spain.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AS and Marca

Marca is known amongst football fans as the Real Madrid daily. Unless you support them . AS is the preferred read for everyone else.

Looks like they make quite a few bob.
"MARCA is a Spanish national daily sports newspaper owned by Unidad Editorial. The newspaper focuses primarily on football, in particular the day-to-day activities of Real Madrid CF. It has a daily readership of over 2,749,000the highest in Spain for a daily newspaper."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marca_(newspaper)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AS and Marca

In the same way that the back page of the Sun will often carry stuff about Man U or Chelsea, it's true that Marca (and AS is the same) will normally feature Real Madrid or Barcelona heavily as they have the largest set of fans, and are normally contenders for the trophies. Yet a newspaper solely devoted to 1 or 2 teams would never be viable. I used to buy AS occasionally as it would go into depth in each Primera match, and also cover La Segunda too; well I believe that Marca does the same. It still surprises me though that they managed to keep going against the normal papers, who also covered football and sports.
Here in London I see folk handing out a free sports paper outside Tube stations each Friday; I really don't see that lasting much longer.