Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Many British expats desperate to leave Spain

Many British expats desperate to leave Spain

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many British expats desperate to leave Spain

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Rambling Rose I agree with you totally. I get fed up with people saying that those who return to the UK have failed to research properly, or failed to settle in etc. We all move for different reasons, some see it as a forever thing and others decide that it would be a good experience for a short length of time.

My OH had wanted to live in Spain for many years whereas I had no intention of moving abroad. When we first started to talk about moving it was me who instigated the discussion and I now have no idea why. We were not dissatisfied with living in the UK, had no gripes and did not see moving to another country as a wonderful thing. I think that we decided that it would be a good idea to have a different experience. During our discussions my OH said that we should give it a year and then decide whether we wanted to stay or return to the UK. Like you we did a great deal of research but the town that we ultimately chose was done more on feelings when we visited it, somehow it felt right for us. We were right it fits us like a glove, we are well settled here and still feel the it was the right decision. We do not discount moving elsewhere in Spain or back to the UK at some point but in all honesty it does not feature greatly in our thoughts.

Rosemary
RamblingRose I think you are quite correct in your summary you researched as did I and to be honest had we bought 12 months later would no doubt not have done so. Unfortunately foresight is much better than hindsight. What has happened seemed to take the world mainly by surprise so how could that be in your plans. I speak to people who try and say oh I always took a euro for a pound (doubt that to be honest) but point is if as you say you are on a fixed UK income and living or paying bills in Spain you are currently much worse off than 4 years ago. Obviously this has an affect on house prices Spanish try and stick to theirs because they use and paid in euros ex pats can reduce their euro price to take advantage of the exchange rate. On particular ,annoying fact from governements is they say they didn't see the problems coming 2007 2008 now they are all saying they didn't see the euro crisis coming once ok twice !!!! also many experts predicted the error of the euro so why didn't they see the problems. Other thing whether in UK or Spain we are all worse off than we were even though in my case not taking the advantage of the loose credit and use of debt previously. My view is you make decisions some good some bad and you have to make it work somehow, only people that never make a bad decision are those that never make one. Only here once lets make the most of it.