Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Curate's egg

The Curate's egg

Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Curate's egg

Here's the cartoon on the right hand side a little way down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(magazine)

The curate has been invited to breakfast at the Bishop's residence. He depends for his livelihood on the good will of the bishop, and would have been terrified of causing offence. So, when he is served (by mistake) a boiled egg that was actually rotten, he proceeds to eat it rather than say anything.

The bishop tho sees that the egg is off, and says to the curate, "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones!"

The Curate replies, "Oh no, My Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent."

Just realised that the arguments concerning the Catholic church's prediliction for paedophilia are not unlike the cartoon. If you point out to believers that their church is rotten, they tend to reply as did the curate.

"Oh no, I assure you that parts of it are excellent."
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Curate's egg

Originally Posted by bil
Here's the cartoon on the right hand side a little way down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(magazine)

The curate has been invited to breakfast at the Bishop's residence. He depends for his livelihood on the good will of the bishop, and would have been terrified of causing offence. So, when he is served (by mistake) a boiled egg that was actually rotten, he proceeds to eat it rather than say anything.

The bishop tho sees that the egg is off, and says to the curate, "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones!"

The Curate replies, "Oh no, My Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent."

Just realised that the arguments concerning the Catholic church's prediliction for paedophilia are not unlike the cartoon. If you point out to believers that their church is rotten, they tend to reply as did the curate.

"Oh no, I assure you that parts of it are excellent."
the site cuts the last ) off the URL link to anyone having trouble following this worthy quest
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Book bil now for your boiler room

The only fuel-less pilot light guaranteed to burn for an eternity
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
Book bil now for your boiler room

The only fuel-less pilot light guaranteed to burn for an eternity
As I say, who needs to fear the fire when the demons of hell will be far too busy barbecuing all the people who did nothing about the church's taste for paedophilia!
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
As I say, who needs to fear the fire when the demons of hell will be far too busy barbecuing all the people who did nothing about the church's taste for paedophilia!
You need to put that as your signature.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:53 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
You need to put that as your signature.
Naaah, not provocative enough!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:56 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Exactly as I was expecting you to do, bil... congrats!

And this is about your personality, not your ideas...
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evamar
Exactly as I was expecting you to do, bil... congrats!

And this is about your personality, not your ideas...
what a disgraceful character trait speaking out about kiddie fiddling papists
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:04 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

You have my point in the appropriate thread, just as we have yours, bil's and other people's who participated there.

No point bringing it here again other than giving another puntazo, and that I find extremely low.

If you want to continue, please do in that thread, this is beginning to look like a "let's kill all catholics before they abuse our children" thing. And I think we are better than that.. or maybe not.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

You have my point in the appropriate thread, just as we have yours, bil's and other people's who participated there.

No point bringing it here again other than giving another puntazo, and that I find extremely low.

If you want to continue, please do in that thread, this is beginning to look like a "let's kill all catholics before they abuse our children" thing. And I think we are better than that.. or maybe not.
the other thread was regarding the giving away of Spanish children with the involvement of the usual band of perverse papists This is disgust about it's historic worldwide abuse. Would you be so quick to criticise anyone speaking out against any other organisation which actively protects paedophiles ? We do not aim to persecute any catholics merely give those who wish to remain in the catholic church food for thought about who they are mixing with before they consider themselves fine upstanding citizens of the world
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:40 pm
Spanish, 40

what's the point? Criminals should face civil courts and I think we all agree to that.
What you are doing by putting criminals, their protectors and mere catholics at the same level is simply RELIGIOUS HATE, nothing else. I'm surprised that nobody seems to have raised concerns about religious attacks here. I might happen to be a baptized catholic as I wasn't asked as a baby, but I already said that I never took confirmation and am not practising.

Catholic, anglicans, protestants, jewish, arabs... we all can continue happily throwing shit at each other for all eternity, because we ALL have done lots of terrible things in the name of religion, and it comes since the first day human beings decided to believe in "something else".

For me, we would be far more happier simply accepting that we are going to die at some point and stop worrying about what's after it and that some are better than others because of their "true" religious ideas.

But then you people would lose a big topic of conversation, wouldn't you? As I said, this puntazo matches your personalities, not your ideas.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:45 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by EllisG
the other thread was regarding the giving away of Spanish children with the involvement of the usual band of perverse papists This is disgust about it's historic worldwide abuse. Would you be so quick to criticise anyone speaking out against any other organisation which actively protects paedophiles ? We do not aim to persecute any catholics merely give those who wish to remain in the catholic church food for thought about who they are mixing with before they consider themselves fine upstanding citizens of the world
Now then, the church does good, and therefore you aren't allowed to say nasty things about the kiddy fiddling little bastards, and their pimping bosses, lest you upset people like evamar, who respects all religions, especially those who treat paedophilia as a perk of the job.

People like her will keep supporting the church no matter what happens, because basically they don't care what evil the church has done, is doing or will do.

Unless of course it's their child, in the which case prepare to have your eardrums ruptured as they start screaming for something to be done.

The church, especially the catholic sect, is like the curate's egg, rotten, but the worshippers, like the curate, dare not complain, dare not say anything, and to those worshippers that know full well what is going on, I say this.

Everytime you attend church without saying anything, you are more guilty.

Every time you support the church, by worship or financially, you are funding paedophilia, and each time you do that, I hope you hear a crying child.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:47 pm
bil
Banned

what's the point? Criminals should face civil courts and I think we all agree to that.
What you are doing by putting criminals, their protectors and mere catholics at the same level is simply RELIGIOUS HATE, nothing else. I'm surprised that nobody seems to have raised concerns about religious attacks here. I might happen to be a baptized catholic as I wasn't asked as a baby, but I already said that I never took confirmation and am not practising.

Catholic, anglicans, protestants, jewish, arabs... we all can continue happily throwing shit at each other for all eternity, because we ALL have done lots of terrible things in the name of religion, and it comes since the first day human beings decided to believe in "something else".

For me, we would be far more happier simply accepting that we are going to die at some point and stop worrying about what's after it and that some are better than others because of their "true" religious ideas.

But then you people would lose a big topic of conversation, wouldn't you? As I said, this puntazo matches your personalities, not your ideas.
You just don't get it.

The paedophilia is ongoing, and unless people do speak out, it will continue.

If you start speaking out to others, and they speak out to others, then there is a chance that together we will raise such a shout that something will HAVE to be done.

I will do you the courtesy of assuming you are a good person.

Just remember, for evil like this to go on, it only requires good people to do nothing.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:55 pm
Spanish, 40

Oh, yes... thanks so much for taking me as an ultracatholic child abuser. I can't remember last time I went to church, never paid anything, don't pray... but of course I am an ultracatholic child abuser, so good of you of telling me, I never actually thought about the child abusers hiding in the church so I certainly needed you to point them out and save the world, so good of you.

Bil, I will also assume that you are a good and intelligent person. You say that you just want to bring attention to a problem. I agree with you, there is certainly a problem because there are criminals in the church just as they are in all institutions. And just as in many institutions they are corporately protecting themselves with their own rules. This should be attacked, and hard. There are criminals in the police force, army, government, health... and of course in all churches.

Giving everybody the same label is not the answer. I completely gave you the reason about criminals and protectors but still cannot agree on religious attacks per se, that is RELIGIOUS HATE and we know just how far and dangerous that can go. You know that people can decide by themselves whether to be criminals or not, and what they decide is their only decision and should take the consequences, in this world. We all want criminals in jail and I don't care what clothing they wear.

Unfortunately things are slow to change, especially in big closed institutions, but they are changing, there are more and more attacks to the actual criminals to bring shame on them and their protectors. These are the attacks that help changing things.

Bil, I completely agree with you in the main thing, but I don't see the point of religious attacks to innocents as you are doing.

Why saying this in an ex pats forum knowing that most readers are non catholic? What is the merit in that? As you live in Spain and surely know lots of Spanish people, please do tell your ideas to EVERY catholic you know... as you as so sure about them, please make sure you don't hide cowardly in an ex pats forum. Please do share them to reach the people you complaint about, but do it loud and clear everywhere. Start with your neighbors, friends, police, shopkeepers, go also to the local catholic church and shout it at a mass, publish them in newspapers.... (better do it in Spanish, though: that would be "ultracatólicos abusadores de niños", if somebody else wants to join and is not sure of the lingo).

Or BETTER, rather than attacking the followers as you have been doing here to me (and this not even being a follower), simply denounce the facts in a normal conversation. You will find that catholics are against them just as you are, they are no longer afraid of telling things by their name and don't expect to be hit by lighting on the spot or burn later in hell for doing the right thing.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

you can lead a dog to water but if it continues to bite the bowl it will not quench it's thirst..good choice, the water is muddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.