Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Manchester City Council leader held over assault claim

Manchester City Council leader held over assault claim

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice
Default Manchester City Council leader held over assault claim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/8619019.stm

Seems the guy clipped his 16 year old step-daughter around the ear at 11oclock at night.

He was then arrested at 11pm, held until 4pm the following day ( 17 hours!!!) and cautioned.

UK Nanny state undermining any parents authority yet again. !!!

and that is why the UK is totally screwed up.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester City Council leader held over assault claim

Originally Posted by neilwturner
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/8619019.stm

Seems the guy clipped his 16 year old step-daughter around the ear at 11oclock at night.

He was then arrested at 11pm, held until 4pm the following day ( 17 hours!!!) and cautioned.

UK Nanny state undermining any parents authority yet again. !!!

and that is why the UK is totally screwed up.
I wonder how his daughter is feeling now about totally screwing up his career
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:44 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I wonder how his daughter is feeling now about totally screwing up his career
come on Mitz - he screwed it up by hitting her in the first place
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
come on Mitz - he screwed it up by hitting her in the first place
A clip round the ear?

I suppose we dont know the facts. But a clip round the ear is a little different to beating her up! So, if she then called the Police to have him arrested for 17 hours .... possibly (and I mean possibly) losing his job, which may mean in the present climate he will struggle to get a job, meaning he can no longer finance her education etc etc ......

Come on, you know I don't condone parents beating kids, but I think maybe we need to see if the actual facts come out, and if this was a simple clip round the ear or a bad parent
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:11 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

A clip round the ear?

I suppose we dont know the facts. But a clip round the ear is a little different to beating her up! So, if she then called the Police to have him arrested for 17 hours .... possibly (and I mean possibly) losing his job, which may mean in the present climate he will struggle to get a job, meaning he can no longer finance her education etc etc ......

Come on, you know I don't condone parents beating kids, but I think maybe we need to see if the actual facts come out, and if this was a simple clip round the ear or a bad parent
I agree with you there Mitz - there is definatly a difference between a beating n chastising your kids xxx
My too were so different Lee you could just say no n he wouldnt do it but Paul on the other hand would do it and keep doing it and keep doing it - he had no sense of danger about anything whatsoever so a smack used to do the trick with him
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:48 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

People just shouldn't hit other people, it's not right.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:57 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jimenato

Times change

When I was bought up in the 50's /60's it was not unusual. And I grew up with respect for adults, which is more than can be said for the many dick head children you get today.

I was never beaten, but a clip round the ear if I was extremely naughty was not unheard of. In fact whilst I was at school I was given the cane or slipper as well. It never did any harm.

This is, as I say, was somewhat different to child abuse or child beating

And before anyone comments .... no I didnt used to clip my kid around the ear ... but we spent huge amounts of time drilling respect and responsibility into her, which many parents nowadays down even bother with.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:07 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Times change

When I was bought up in the 50's /60's it was not unusual. And I grew up with respect for adults, which is more than can be said for the many dick head children you get today.

I was never beaten, but a clip round the ear if I was extremely naughty was not unheard of. In fact whilst I was at school I was given the cane or slipper as well. It never did any harm.

This is, as I say, was somewhat different to child abuse or child beating

And before anyone comments .... no I didnt used to clip my kid around the ear ... but we spent huge amounts of time drilling respect and responsibility into her, which many parents nowadays down even bother with.
Also agree with this. UK children have very little or no respect for others as they know they can get away with whatever they want. A clip round the ear is not tantamount to physicaly child abuse.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:08 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Also agree with this. UK children have very little or no respect for others as they know they can get away with whatever they want. A clip round the ear is not tantamount to physicaly child abuse.
Exactly
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

A clip round the ear?

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I agree with you there Mitz - there is definatly a difference between a beating n chastising your kids xxx
My too were so different Lee you could just say no n he wouldnt do it but Paul on the other hand would do it and keep doing it and keep doing it - he had no sense of danger about anything whatsoever so a smack used to do the trick with him
I agree - there is a huge difference between a 'clip' & a beating - but IMO 16 is a bit old for even a 'clip' - yes a little slap when they are little & it's a danger issue - but when they get older it could easily turn into proper fisticuffs

IMO when you are getting to that stage with a teen it's more likely that it's a case of the parent losing their temper/self control than anything else

I don't know what happens in the UK now, but here in Spain the social workers go into schools & talk to the kids - handing out cards & encouraging them to report any physical or mental abuse (by anyone - not just parents)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:48 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree..but it's not just the UK..but around here, it seems to be acceptable for parents to hit their kids or tell them off in the street.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Given that there is always someone prepared to hit someone else are you suggesting that if someone hits you that you should "turn the other cheek"?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Given that there is always someone prepared to hit someone else are you suggesting that if someone hits you that you should "turn the other cheek"?
I dont think jimenato meant that if someone hits you, you should not defend yourself, you would have to be a bit of a plonker to just stand there if you just received a clout of another person.

He was saying that hitting someone is not right, but not to stand there like a lemon if you get hit.(I think)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think jimenato meant that if someone hits you, you should not defend yourself, you would have to be a bit of a plonker to just stand there if you just received a clout of another person.

He was saying that hitting someone is not right, but not to stand there like a lemon if you get hit.
WOW.... your read a lot more into his post than I ever could. Well done.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:34 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
WOW.... your read a lot more into his post than I ever could. Well done.

It makes sence to me, even though someone would not instigate it, it does not mean theay they are a pushover, You know that.

And I did put I think in barckets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.