Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malted Barley - for home brewing

Malted Barley - for home brewing

Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Saucepan is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Malted Barley - for home brewing

I am going to be doing some home brewing soon, but not from a Boots Can, I want to use 'proper' ingredients and wondered if there are any other home brewers out there, who have been able to source sacks of malted barley.

It will be too expensive to import from England, so I am thinking that best to try and buy here in Spain, or possibly source from Germany or another mainland European country.

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated, as always.

Saucepan.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:18 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malted Barley - for home brewing

I think there are some Belgian sites where you can info and buy kits and ingredients, not sure about the language they´re in. Ever tried Belgium beer? , it´s superb!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saucepan
I want to use 'proper' ingredients and wondered if there are any other home brewers out there, who have been able to source sacks of malted barley.
Good grief! How much beer are you planning to brew?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Saucepan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jur
I think there are some Belgian sites where you can info and buy kits and ingredients, not sure about the language they´re in. Ever tried Belgium beer? , it´s superb!
Yes, Belgium beer is the 2nd best in the world, after English Ale. I will start looking at some sites and hopefully "Google Translate" will get me on the road with the language barrier.

Pete - probably more than I can drink myself, so if things work out as well as I hope they will, I might be looking to do some 'off-sales'. It's early days though, so not running before I can walk springs to mind !!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

if things work out as well as I hope they will, I might be looking to do some 'off-sales'.
Interesting that you (too) have identified a hole in the market in Spain for ale, rather than simply lager. Yes, if you're going down the microbrew path, it makes sense to secure your suppliers - after all the financial investment for equipment would be quite high.
Personally I don't have the experience to work from the basic ingredients, but I've heard good things about http://www.wineworks.co.uk and their real-ale mixtures. They also sell stills
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

I am going to be doing some home brewing soon, but not from a Boots Can, I want to use 'proper' ingredients and wondered if there are any other home brewers out there, who have been able to source sacks of malted barley.

It will be too expensive to import from England, so I am thinking that best to try and buy here in Spain, or possibly source from Germany or another mainland European country.

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated, as always.

Saucepan.
Have sent you a PM.