Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Two years on - update (tell me if I post too often!)

Two years on - update (tell me if I post too often!)

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default Two years on - update (tell me if I post too often!)

The second anniversary of our move to Spain has just passed and I must admit it feels like much longer. I think it must be the day to day uncertainty and variety of experience that does it, when you are on a treadmill and everything is predictable and comfortable the time seems to fly. The daily battle to put food on the table and keep the bank balance favourable certainly keeps you sharp.

To be honest, I actually kind of enjoy it. But don’t get me wrong; endless dining extravagances, casual shopping for goods you don’t need and the odd convertible or yacht would be preferable. In fact the occasional indulgence like a meal out would be welcome but I’m sure that will come soon.

All the family are well, my daughter seems to be enjoying school although her Valenciano isn’t progressing as quickly as I had imagined. My wife has started teaching Yoga and my mother has settled into her apartment in town.

At the time of last writing the signage and graphics business was only about four months old, and so my whining was a bit premature. The past year has surpassed expectations, given the economic climate, and while there have been flat spots there have also been extremely busy times when I have had to be working into the night to keep up. It does seem strange how the bills can keep up with the income though. To this end I had to increase my prices, if working flat out wasn’t putting a safe distance between me and the breadline I figured that I was too cheap. This doesn’t seem to have affected trade though, I’m still winning custom and the feedback is that the prices are reasonable.

An observation I have made about business in Spain (mostly in expat circles but also in the domestic market) is that if you know someone who’s brother’s mate is a landscape gardener, this is qualification enough to make you a landscape gardener too. Very often if you arrange for something to be done there is a Newton’s Cradle effect where you will pay a deposit to one guy, someone else turns up to do the job and then the original guy returns for the balance. The Lord only knows how many people are in between taking a cut of your cash.

With this in mind for my business I have contacted other people in associated trades and exchanged parts of the cradle with them. So I have other people selling my services (which they get at a discount) and I do likewise, only I’m a terrible actor and tend to just tell the client that I don’t do such a thing myself but I can organise it for them for a small cut. In modern business speak I believe they call this networking. This has saved my bacon. I might not be making as much money with this kind of work, but it’s kept me busy. My only other alternative was to spend heaps on advertising and hope for the best, which hopefully I’ll be able to do when the sight of the breadline drops off the horizon. Richard Branson I am not, but paying the bills and feeding the family I am.

My Spanish progresses too, at a snail’s pace. While I’m streets ahead of when I got off the boat I’ve reached a new plateau. At one time the Spanish would make me stumble through for a while before using English, which to be honest I preferred as it meant I used the lingo more and ultimately learned. Now they hear my slightly-better-than-awful Spanish and go straight to English. I must have reached the point at which I’m someone else’s responsibility. Someone I’ll probably have to pay.

I’m hoping the coming year bears more fruit and I can progress with developing the business and also my Spanish. I must say I do feel really at home here, it’s a tiny village and I think I’m only one degree of separation from knowing everyone who lives here. It has a great atmosphere most of the time and so far I haven’t encountered any nastiness. Of course there’s plenty of gossiping, which I’ll listen to, but resist passing it on unless it’s good news.

I’m told by inland expats that this isn’t the real Spain. To be honest it doesn’t even feel like the real planet Earth sometimes. Moraira is a community of people of all nationalities that makes up a small tourist resort without hotels. Most of it’s visitors own or know someone who owns property here. Neither overly brash nor unduly posh, it’s a great place and I love it.

My advice to anyone considering moving out in 2010 remains the same; bring money, a steady income or a foolproof plan. Preferably all three. Joking aside, I still believe anyone with the right attitude and proper planning can do it.

I raise a glass to everyone for 2010, may those who remain, sustain and to those who had to leave I hope you find happiness wherever you may find yourself.

Cheers!

Steve
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:40 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years on - update (tell me if I post too often!)

Good on ya Splatt - n i hope you enjoy many more
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

This is funny. Here you have shown that with a little bit of thinking outside the box, you have made a success of your move to Spain. Yet there is only one reply to your post.

Now, if you had made a post about how you want to move to Spain and start a business, you would have at least 30 replies by now, 29 of them negative.

Actually it is not funny, it is sad. Anyway, congratulations and may your story be an inspiration to those who are contemplating a move.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
This is funny. Here you have shown that with a little bit of thinking outside the box, you have made a success of your move to Spain. Yet there is only one reply to your post.

Now, if you had made a post about how you want to move to Spain and start a business, you would have at least 30 replies by now, 29 of them negative.

Actually it is not funny, it is sad. Anyway, congratulations and may your story be an inspiration to those who are contemplating a move.
Come on old bean; he only posted at 1053 last night. Anyhow I found it a very good read.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Come on old bean; he only posted at 1053 last night. Anyhow I found it a very good read.
9.53 surely

& well done to Splatt for sticking with it
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I was asleep when he posted.

But it was a good read to wake up to.

And well done for making it this far.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I was asleep when he posted.

But it was a good read to wake up to.

And well done for making it this far.
I was asleep too

what on earth was AdrianTO doing up at 2.30am
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I was asleep too

what on earth was AdrianTO doing up at 2.30am
Absolutely no idea.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:13 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps he posted from Philadelphia.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by HBG
Perhaps he posted from Philadelphia.
something like that occurred to me

how to find out?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

That's two of us who have recently posted who are OK
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:04 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
That's two of us who have recently posted who are OK
I am doing better than OK
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

expat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the rough

Makes a refreshing change from all the negtivity that some people seem to like putting on the forums
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Good news is no news. Just read any paper, most people believe all the stories without question. They are useful for wrapping up fish and chips - I do miss that
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:10 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Great to hear such a positive story. We'll be a year next month and it's just flown by. Still here though and keeping our heads above water. Good luck everyone in 2010.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.