Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mallorcan Buses

Mallorcan Buses

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default Mallorcan Buses

Just been looking at the bus routes in Mallorca. From the airport there are two routes, one of which passes right by our apartment, but does not stop there.

What are the buses in Mallorca like for stopping in-between bus stops? Can you ask the driver to stop ad-hoc? Or are they like the UK, where you can only board or disembark at the actual stops?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mallorcan Buses

To be fair, it's not that far and a taxi would not be an expensive option, especially as there will be 4 of us travelling, but I'm concerned that taxi's will not be big enough for all of our suitcases/sports equipment.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 11:58 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

On buses, you can only embark or disembark at designated stops.

Taxi will be orders of magnitude more expensive no matter what.

The buses and trains are very cheap, especially if you buy an intermodal card (requires a NIE number), which in some cases saves you 50%. But you need to use public transport a lot, since the minimum is top up is €40 I think.

Where are you going?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, that's what I thought. Shame, but I understand. It can lead to chaos if they stopped outside everyone's house. lol, interesting about the Intermodal card though, I will look into that.

We are going to be going between Palma Airport and Cala Estancia. We could walk it if there were pavements! The number 21 bus passes right by our apartment, but the first stop if a bit of a walk with our luggage, buy do-able for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 5:19 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, well, taxi is about 2 minutes and about €5 to Cala Estancia. They won't like you for that fare though. They'd rather go to Palmanova or Alcudia. better yet, manacor (€80).
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Yeah, that's what I thought. Shame, but I understand. It can lead to chaos if they stopped outside everyone's house. lol, interesting about the Intermodal card though, I will look into that.

We are going to be going between Palma Airport and Cala Estancia. We could walk it if there were pavements! The number 21 bus passes right by our apartment, but the first stop if a bit of a walk with our luggage, buy do-able for sure.

Thanks for the info.
You could visit the supermarket and 'borrow' a trolley