Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

:: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::

:: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::

Old May 27th 2007, 1:44 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::

Hi
As you have guessed i am back

After a week checking out Mallorca for a home and a place to stick a boat i report the week as below..

Flights from the newly relaunched Manston Airport to Palma have been covered in the Cheap South East Flights section ..

Arrived Friday night at Palma , collected a HERTZ rented SEAT LEON diesel , and i have to say was a lovely looking car in Go faster Red , but with a diesel engine !! the car was dirty inside and out which considering i opted for Hertz assuming to be the best was suprising and something i will be writing to the Company about..

Drove across the island to the BigPete Base Camp in the Alcudia region , arriving just in time for evening meal at 9.00pm .
Weather lovely some 23 degrees clear skies and a super evening ..

Saturday and Sunday
Mrs BigPete and me had decided before we do a single thing will have the weekend off and so Saturday and Sunday spent sunbathing on the glorious sandy beach , with the evening spent in Alcudia shopping and checking out the marina situation ..
Spoke with a EX PAT running boat trips with his flash big 40 foot Cruiser who advised that he pays only £400 a month and like me was told initially you have no chance of getting a berth !! He said there is so many speculators taking the berths available and selling them for silly money which gives that effect.. What i should do as he did is get in beneath them forget the internet and deal with the councils or marina owners .once over here . they are around but needs work to slip in something can only do when here ..
So good advice there i think..

At the Marina shows the correct prices and a schematic and as it shows at the budget end prices arent to bad at all ..

Monday
As predicted weather went cloudy and dismal so we made the right choice in grabbing the sun whilst it was here
Property viewings were scheduled with agents in Cala Dor which is the South East of the island , viewed 2 properties in Cala Dor which didnt impress me in the slightest wanted some 450k and they was small and crammed in like a Barratt home . although a sea view was on both from the roof terrace , the rest did NOT justify the heavy price tags , so a none goer.
The area Cala Dor also we didnt like small roads all one way and very hilly with poor car parking and hard work getting around it..

In the afternoon travelled across to a private sale we had arranged and found on the internet in a little place near Santanyi just inland again on the South East Corner .
This property was absolutely stunning looked like a Millionairres show home had every thing from its own hi tech water treatment plant to a luxurious upstairs Guest suite. Only snag the property has no privacy with like a rubbish tip next door on both sides and i am sure the reason the owners are selling At the rear is another Villa semi built which looks to me as if its going to have a roof terrace overlooking this property !! If my hunch is right then this property will lose any views and suffer badly with NO privacy at all. ( they dont tell you that on the brochures do they lol )

Tuesday

Travelled North upto Puerto Pollensa checking the marinas there , very nice and judging by the small boats there wouldnt think they charge much , but typical the only english speaker is not in the Marina office when i call , so couldnt find out much on the berth issues ..
In the Afternoon travelled East to a prearranged booking to view in SA COMA near the sea , You may recall this is the one with the hole in the ground ready for a pool ?? Well this property is very big and impressive on the outside contains a 3 bedroomed main house with a second Guest House at the rear , big enough to convert into a 2 bedroomed second home !
Straight away the brain gets ticking hmmmm rent that bugger out etc, lol . Mrs Bigpete says i know what your thinking ! and i say well could be a money spinner lol.. She says yep but rent that and we have no privacy ! But it just begs to be converted its got rent me out all over it i say !!
The only snag its a old place and the money needed to get both propertys to 2007 standards will be collosal and the work involved would be beyond me so would require builders and all the ongoing hassles ..

So this one is still under consideration but the final bill would eat into the retirement fund and could end up with having to Rent it out to stay in Mallorca somewhat defeating the dream

Wednesday
Fed up with driving and sun was shining so took a day off sunbathed and became a tourist for the day lol

Thursday
A prearranged viewing at a property in Cala Pi , The area which i had been advised was a crap place by someone living in Cala Dor ! However as i wasnt impressed by Cala Dor reckon its worth checking out as the property ticks all the boxes on paper so will drive and just satisfy myself ..

As we approach of the main road we are met by a lovely Roundabout with a engraved sign saying "Cala Pi" which leads to a NEW dual carriageway all tastefully lined with Quarry stones .. this leads into a clean smart looking little town with New posh Villas lining the streets , We are met by the agent a Dutch Guy who when i advise how impressed i think the road in looks ,he goes on about this area is zoned as the New Growth area on the island , and is zoned to be built with a mix of protected green belt zones and housing ..

In short its up and coming ! After remembering that sexy Amanda Lamb on Tv saying the trick is to buy in the right upcoming location ,already my brain is thinking hmmmmm this is worth the drive ..
We are driven around all the new roads which are in place and the dozens of Millionairres Villas being constructed all in lovely Tree Lined plots with sea views and areas .. From the way it looks there is some serious money being chucked in here . and whilst at present only 2 shops are evident the options here are one of growth and feel the infrastructure will no doubt come in as it develops ..

The property we approach sits on a very large 900sq metre plot with a total private screened off double gate entry , allowing parking for 2 cars and a boat on a trailer .. Has the largest swimming pool ever seen at 12x5 m and once inside the gates well had this sense of space and privacy which we had been looking for .. Inside the place has everything air con - 3 bedrooms - garage - utility room - etc.. Its a little tatty as hasnt been used for 9 months but nothing that is beyond our makeover skills ..
So Have put a offer in and now waitting to see how little i can secure it for .

Checked out the marinas at SA RAPITA and Son Bielo where this pretty Senorito advised Marinas Full , but have slipway for small boats ..

So small boat and then keep looking when i am there , and thats the jist of the visit .. so we see if they accept my offer ,If they dont well the Sa Coma one could still be in the running ..

I havent included pics of the Cala Pi one yet , incase someone nips in a higher bid right
Attached Thumbnails :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-alcudia-marina-plan.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-alcudia-mooring-fees.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-sa-coma-1.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-sa-coma-2.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-sa-coma-4.jpg  

Old May 27th 2007, 1:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::

Wow thats a great report, glad it went well. We all look forward to getting the house warming invite if it comes off. We're only a ferry ride away from you

Puerto Pollensa was lovely when I went there and I seem to remember it was just a five minute drive to beautiful mountainous countryside,

Is there still a pub called (I'm afraid) the Spotted Dog in Alcudia? Spent a couple of nice holidays there in apartments just by the bar

Fingers crossed for you
Old May 27th 2007, 7:57 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Wow thats a great report, glad it went well. We all look forward to getting the house warming invite if it comes off. We're only a ferry ride away from you

Puerto Pollensa was lovely when I went there and I seem to remember it was just a five minute drive to beautiful mountainous countryside,

Is there still a pub called (I'm afraid) the Spotted Dog in Alcudia? Spent a couple of nice holidays there in apartments just by the bar

Fingers crossed for you
Your welcome no problems Mitzy the more visitors the better , regarding the spotted dog didnt notice it but i spent most of my evening time along the marina drooling over the boats and admiring the lovely sunsets on the Bars over looking the Bay .

Did the drive up the mountain past Puerto Pollensa and yes gorgeous up there and breathtaking views ..
Old May 27th 2007, 8:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Your welcome no problems Mitzy the more visitors the better , regarding the spotted dog didnt notice it but i spent most of my evening time along the marina drooling over the boats and admiring the lovely sunsets on the Bars over looking the Bay .

Did the drive up the mountain past Puerto Pollensa and yes gorgeous up there and breathtaking views ..
Glad you had a good time, we had a holiday in Alcudia area years ago, very nice. ;-)
Old May 27th 2007, 8:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Glad you had a good time, we had a holiday in Alcudia area years ago, very nice. ;-)
Yep and you and mrs jdr can come over as well jdr
the more the merrier
Old May 27th 2007, 8:27 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Big Pete!

Sincere wishes for a smooth and favourable outcome.

Martha
Old May 27th 2007, 8:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MnM
Well done Big Pete!

Sincere wishes for a smooth and favourable outcome.

Martha
Thanks Martha and yes you can come as well
Old May 28th 2007, 10:12 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

So Pete, did you get any contacts out there?
Old May 28th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Big Pete;4837622]Hi

What a fantastic report Pete. When we were there in Feb we also got a rubbish car - they never mentioned the acres of scratches on the car and it was nicely hidden in the dark of the car park - impossible to see. We had to go and get them and have all the marks noted only to find more when we eventually got to our destination - a huge scratched area on a wing was hidden as it was right next to a concrete pillar. Phoned them to make sure it was noted. Worse place ever for car hire!

Have you looked at any property in the SW? Silly prices I think but gorgeous. Some photos of the wonderful hills around Andratx attached. Have also stayed just north of Cala D'Or up on the cliff side - was lovely actually - great views out to sea. Not heard of this area you are looking at - have you heard yet?
Attached Thumbnails :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-ssa50507.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-ssa50495.jpg   :: Mallorca Mission update Big Pete ::-dscf0145.jpg  
Old May 28th 2007, 3:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So Pete, did you get any contacts out there?
Yes got a few Matt , and yes you can come over as well
Old May 28th 2007, 3:28 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=CAROL ELIZABETH;4841098]
Hi

What a fantastic report Pete. When we were there in Feb we also got a rubbish car - they never mentioned the acres of scratches on the car and it was nicely hidden in the dark of the car park - impossible to see. We had to go and get them and have all the marks noted only to find more when we eventually got to our destination - a huge scratched area on a wing was hidden as it was right next to a concrete pillar. Phoned them to make sure it was noted. Worse place ever for car hire!

Have you looked at any property in the SW? Silly prices I think but gorgeous. Some photos of the wonderful hills around Andratx attached. Have also stayed just north of Cala D'Or up on the cliff side - was lovely actually - great views out to sea. Not heard of this area you are looking at - have you heard yet?
Only went over SW one time lacked the soft squidgy sandy beaches though..

Latest news is as follows
My initial offer has been rejected , it was 25,000 under asking so have now resubmitted at 12,500 under so see what happens now

Will report back as soon as i hear anything ,

And yes you can come over, if i get a place also , hmmmmmmm getting pretty full now maybe i should get the SA COMA one with the guest suite
Old May 28th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Great report Pete, hope everything works out brilliantly for you
Old May 28th 2007, 5:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Only went over SW one time lacked the soft squidgy sandy beaches though..

Latest news is as follows
My initial offer has been rejected , it was 25,000 under asking so have now resubmitted at 12,500 under so see what happens now

Will report back as soon as i hear anything ,

And yes you can come over, if i get a place also , hmmmmmmm getting pretty full now maybe i should get the SA COMA one with the guest suite
Just get a row of ex army beds and stick em on the patio. ;-)
Old May 28th 2007, 6:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kaylee
Great report Pete, hope everything works out brilliantly for you
Thanks kaylee , you can come over anytime as well
Old May 28th 2007, 6:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Just get a row of ex army beds and stick em on the patio. ;-)
Not quite the same jdr is it ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.