Madrid V Coast

Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:53 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Madrid V Coast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There are 100,000s of migrants who work in Madrid from Rumania, Algeria, Ecuador, Peru,etc many of them have family . Do you really think they earn more than 4000 a month?
Get real, they live in crap neighbourhoods, send their kids to state schools and share 2 bed flats between several families. Some even hot rack.

Who mentioned the "radius of the Metro"?
The Metro is Madrid. Anything else may belong to the Community, but not to Madrid. Even some of the zones inside the Metro are not Madrid.

2200 would be ok for a family
Ok, lets look at this in reality.
  • Crap flat (your price): 1200 Euros
  • Shopping: 400 Euros
  • School lunch for 2 kids (minuta maxima): 170 Euros
  • 2x mobile phones: 80 Euros
  • Telefonica Duo (ADSL + calls): 50 Euros
  • Electricity: 50 Euros
  • Gas: 40 Euros
  • Water: 40 Euros
  • Community fees: 60 Euros?
  • IBI: 60 Euros
  • Subscription television: 50 Euros
  • Transport to take 2 adults to work (4 Euros a day each): 160 Euros
  • Clothes: 100 Euros
Sure looks like dire straits to me and that's just trying to get ends to meet without living in any way (car, school fees, holidays, hobbies, social life, pocket money, etc).

Last edited by Tele Addict; Aug 10th 2009 at 9:55 am.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

craiggingell is an unknown quantity at this point

Who mentioned the "radius of the Metro"? As it happens the metro has a second loop in the south and also extensions to the north (Alcobendas) and to the west (well a tram system). In one of Craig's other threads he stated he would be working in Barajas and someone (I think it was Forteleza) suggested some good places on the east of Madrid that would be suitable and the accommodation not nearly so expensive. Incidentally there are loads of single people who get by in Madrid on just 1000 a month salary. 2200 would be ok for a family - ok so you wouldn't be able to eat out every night and run a BMW but it can be done. There are 100,000s of migrants who work in Madrid from Rumania, Algeria, Ecuador, Peru,etc many of them have family . Do you really think they earn more than 4000 a month?
You are right when you say that property is far cheaper to rent out in Alicante or Valencia, but if the work's in Madrid...

Its in the north, near barajas (closest metro stop is Bergona).

I've got loads of info to process and big decisions to make now so thanks for all your help guys. Sorry to have started an arguement.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like dire straits to me
Well obviously looking at your figures, your definition of "dire straits" differs to me (and to cricketman looking at his post). I can cope perfectly well without 50 Euros pay-tele, and where you calculate that transport has to cost 4 Euros per person every day I don't know (with a travel pass it'd be less than 2 a day). I still say that an income of over 2200 will be enough for a family (obviously if it is 2200 dead, then maybe one of the flats advertised at 1000 or 1100 would be sought). But hey, horses for courses. Craig has to weigh up other factors in deciding whether to make the move. He's probably going to be earning a little more than this (and with promotion can potentially earn more), but may want to add in costs of healthcare, private tutoring, transport to and back from GB etc. In his shoes I would jump at the chance, but if you're uncertain of making the move, or your family is unsure, then maybe it's best to stay put. If their Spanish language skills aren't good it's going to be an initial difficult few months.

PS Just read your post Craig. Don't worry about an internet minor spat - you may be gleening more and thus be able to come to a better informed decision.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks steviedeluxe.

My heart is saying yes but my head is saying no at the moment. My wife is going to start learning Spanish and mine is continually improving so a few months or a year down the line may be a better option. In my industry I think i'd be able to get a job whenever i decide to go so its not a now or never situation.

I'm going to visit madrid again in the next month or so to have a look at the suburbs so we'll see what happens.

Ps if someone can build a beach near madrid and import a sea for me it would make my decision a bit easier
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

What you say about importing a beach is how I feel about Madrid! I love the place, it was the first place I ever visited in Spain. I have lived in Barcelona for 7 years and have NEVER felt at home compared to when I was in Madrid. The people are great and on the whole friendly, it IS cold in winter, but you have mountains to visit and skiing nearby, there are some good outdoor swimming pools, and loads to do. But yes, if it had a beach it would be just perfect for me.

Re financial stuff, I would pick a figure somewhere between the two (2200 euros and 4000) if you want a decent lifestyle.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:52 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

I still say that an income of over 2200 will be enough for a family
2200 = 1100 each parent, or looked at another way 35 Euros a day. A decent lunch costs 10 Euros, leaving just 25 Euros. Set your sights any lower and you would shoot yourself in the foot.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:03 am
Just Joined

johnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nice

PS Just read your post Craig. Don't worry about an internet minor spat - you may be gleening more and thus be able to come to a better informed decision.
Minor! I for one take this affront to a fellow internet stranger's honour very seriously and shall hunt thee down, ruffian. Remember my words!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
2200 = 1100 each parent, or looked at another way 35 Euros a day. A decent lunch costs 10 Euros, leaving just 25 Euros. Set your sights any lower and you would shoot yourself in the foot.
You are crazy. Noone eats a 10 euro menu del dia everyday. its like saying that in England you need to budget eating at pizza express everyday and if you cant afford to do that you are living in povert

People I know who work in Madrid go home for lunch or bring a tupperware meal
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
You are crazy. Noone eats a 10 euro menu del dia everyday. its like saying that in England you need to budget eating at pizza express everyday and if you cant afford to do that you are living in povert

People I know who work in Madrid go home for lunch or bring a tupperware meal
I would be getting around 2500 before tax (dont know how much of that id see though).

I agree with the above, i would either go home or bring lunch in apart from the odd occasion.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craiggingell
I would be getting around 2500 before tax (dont know how much of that id see though).

I agree with the above, i would either go home or bring lunch in apart from the odd occasion.
You'd be looking at maybe 1800 euros after tax then, but you would get some tax rebate becuase of your family at the end of the year. Yes this budget is very tight if your wife wasnt working

But people do live on much less, all depends how extragant your spending is. I dont think this salary would be able to pay for internaltional schools though
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be looking at maybe 1800 euros after tax then, but you would get some tax rebate becuase of your family at the end of the year. Yes this budget is very tight if your wife wasnt working

But people do live on much less, all depends how extragant your spending is. I dont think this salary would be able to pay for internaltional schools though
I wished we had 18.00€`s a month to live on, I would be the king of Spain. ;-))
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:18 am
Banned

You are crazy.
No need to be personal. If you are happy earning 35 Euros a day and not being able to afford to pop into a restaurant for lunch that your prerogative, but my expecting more from life doesn't mean I'm crazy.

Originally Posted by craiggingell
Don't believe everything you read (especially on web forums). Because of accommodation costs most people work in the centre and live up to 50 kilometres away. To get to the centre just from kilometre 15 takes a good hour for each leg of the journey. If you take public transport it is much longer. The day goes something like this: get up at 6:30, shower (if you are a clean person) and breakfast, leave house at 7:30 and join the traffic. Arrive at work 9:00. Lunch break 14:00 to 17:00. Due to travelling time not long enough to go home so eat from a tupperware or have a menu del dia. Back to work from 17:00 until 20:00 then rejoin the traffic. Arrive at home 21:30. Make evening meal 21:30 to 22:30. Eat dinner 22:30 to 23:00. Make tomorrow's tupperware dinner 23:00 to 23:30. Spend time with family? Not possible, insufficient time.

I think the worst part of Madrid life is the traffic and its secondary effects (stress, pollution, etc).

Last edited by Tele Addict; Aug 11th 2009 at 4:20 am.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No need to be personal. If you are happy earning 35 Euros a day and not being able to afford to pop into a restaurant for lunch that your prerogative, but my expecting more from life doesn't mean I'm crazy.

Don't believe everything you read (especially on web forums). Because of accommodation costs most people work in the centre and live up to 50 kilometres away. To get to the centre just from kilometre 15 takes a good hour for each leg of the journey. If you take public transport it is much longer. The day goes something like this: get up at 6:30, shower (if you are a clean person) and breakfast, leave house at 7:30 and join the traffic. Arrive at work 9:00. Lunch break 14:00 to 17:00. Due to travelling time not long enough to go home so eat from a tupperware or have a menu del dia. Back to work from 17:00 until 20:00 then rejoin the traffic. Arrive at home 21:30. Make evening meal 21:30 to 22:30. Eat dinner 22:30 to 23:00. Make tomorrow's tupperware dinner 23:00 to 23:30. Spend time with family? Not possible, insufficient time.

I think the worst part of Madrid life is the traffic and its secondary effects (stress, pollution, etc).
But thats like any city and I could argue it is much more expensive and much worse transport-wise in London. Just depends whether you like cities or not.

And there are many more "normal" people who live in the centre of Barcelona or centre of Madrid then do so in London because although the rents are high they are not £3k a month for a 2 bed flat which it may cost you in London zone 1

Renting costs are reasonable in Madrid, just dont even think about buying...
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:30 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would sooner struggle on a lower income and sit on the beach or by the pool with me home made sarnies while you lot are in the traffic. ;-))
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

but isn't that how so many do live?

thankfully I don't because I work from home - but so many do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.