Madrid V Coast

Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

craiggingell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madrid V Coast

I've been offered a job in Madrid and recently went to visit. I loved it but felt that it was missing a coastline (obvious statement i know).

I was wondering whether another big city near a coast would be a good idea, somewhere like Valencia but i've got no job leads anywhere other than madrid at the moment. I know i've not asked any direct questions but looking for peoples thoughts on city versus coast.

i also thought it would be easier for my family to settle nearer the coast as they dont speak spanish (yet) and Madrid is very spanish.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madrid V Coast

I think even in prosperous times, jobs must come first.
Once you're settled, you can always drive (or take one of the newAVEs) down to the coast every so often. You may however prefer to fly back to Blighty instead!
Plenty of expats in Madrid - but you're right, you will need to pick up spanish, which is a blessing. Maybe once your Spanish improves you can look for the next job elsewhere...
Some great places to visit near Madrid (Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Chinchon etc) and plenty of mountains nearby.
Major downside (for some) is it gets cold in winter, but I like the fact that for several months you can see the snow on the local mountains.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

I've heard people mention the cold lots of times but whenever ive looked up the winter temperatures they are hovering around the 2degree mark. Is this accurate?

If so this is nothing compared to good old British cold (especially South Wales cold).
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Madrid when the gauge went down to -15C The 2C is probably right for an average low, and the city itself is always warmer than outside (it rarely snows in the city itself). The problem is that heating systems aren't always adequate - check this when you find somewhere to live.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Incidentally I've looked at your previous posts, and you've been undecided on those posts about making the move. If you or (more importantly) your family don't feel sure about making the move, then maybe now's not the time. Or perhaps you need to take your family for a few days out to Madrid before committing to the new job.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I still am undecided.

I hadnt ever visited Madrid until last week. I really enjoyed it as a tiourist but was only there for 2 days so hard to imagine what everyday life would be like. I'm trying to get as much info/opinions as I can before i commit.

I've made the decision that I want to move to Spain but now its abour finding the right time and location.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:52 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Madrid is too dear. Unless your monthly family income is above 4000€ you'll be in dire straits.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Madrid is too dear. Unless your monthly family income is above 4000€ you'll be in dire straits.
A bit of an exaggeration - if you'd said 2200 I may have agreed with you. Once you sort out the accommodation (renting isn't too bad but buying a place can be expensive) it's really not that expensive a city. Things like a monthly travel pass are far cheaper than they would be in a British city.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:05 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
A bit of an exaggeration - if you'd said 2200 I may have agreed with you. Once you sort out the accommodation (renting isn't too bad but buying a place can be expensive) it's really not that expensive a city. Things like a monthly travel pass are far cheaper than they would be in a British city.
I've got enough family there to know what I'm saying is right. In what decent neighbourhood inside the radius of the Metro could you rent a reasonably sized modern 3 bedroom place for less than 1500€?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I've got enough family there to know what I'm saying is right. In what decent neighbourhood inside the radius of the Metro could you rent a reasonably sized modern 3 bedroom place for less than 1500€?
I agree with Steviedelux. Think about it a minute, 90% of the people who live in Madrid have an income of less than 4000 euros a month and they are not in dire straights. Plus you could probably (I havent looked for a while) get a new build flat on the outskirts with 3 beds, communal pool and paddle courts for 1200 euros tops. In a working class neighbourhood in the centre you get a 3 bed for 1000.

Of course you shouldnt be planning on living on the very best neighbourhoods unless you're seriously rich, but that is the same anywhere. Its like advising someone that they'll need £20,000 a month to live in London because thats how much a family house rents for in Mayfair
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Who mentioned the "radius of the Metro"? As it happens the metro has a second loop in the south and also extensions to the north (Alcobendas) and to the west (well a tram system). In one of Craig's other threads he stated he would be working in Barajas and someone (I think it was Forteleza) suggested some good places on the east of Madrid that would be suitable and the accommodation not nearly so expensive. Incidentally there are loads of single people who get by in Madrid on just 1000 a month salary. 2200 would be ok for a family - ok so you wouldn't be able to eat out every night and run a BMW but it can be done. There are 100,000s of migrants who work in Madrid from Rumania, Algeria, Ecuador, Peru,etc many of them have family . Do you really think they earn more than 4000 a month?
You are right when you say that property is far cheaper to rent out in Alicante or Valencia, but if the work's in Madrid...
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by cricketman
I agree with Steviedelux. Think about it a minute, 90% of the people who live in Madrid have an income of less than 4000 euros a month and they are not in dire straights. Plus you could probably (I havent looked for a while) get a new build flat on the outskirts with 3 beds, communal pool and paddle courts for 1200 euros tops. In a working class neighbourhood in the centre you get a 3 bed for 1000.

Of course you shouldnt be planning on living on the very best neighbourhoods unless you're seriously rich, but that is the same anywhere. Its like advising someone that they'll need £20,000 a month to live in London because thats how much a family house rents for in Mayfair
I think you're spot on with that 1200 figure. I've just done a search on segundamano for flats to rent in Madrid with 3 or more bedrooms between 900 and 1200, and there are loads to look at (some even with 2 bathrooms). 1105 entries in all. Still not exactly cheap though - but to be close to the work sometimes you have to pay a premium.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:58 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, as a young man, I went to work in London because that's where the money was, and accommodation costs were extremely high. It wasn't yesterday, but I think the Madrid example is much the same, and the accommodation costs are related to your earning capacity.

Where London was (is) different to Madrid, you can get to the seaside within an hour, and if you need the proximity of running water, then the Thames is on your doorstep. I can't think of something similar to Madrid's Plaza Mayor though, down to the weather, I suppose.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by HBG
In the UK, as a young man, I went to work in London because that's where the money was, and accommodation costs were extremely high. It wasn't yesterday, but I think the Madrid example is much the same, and the accommodation costs are related to your earning capacity.

Where London was (is) different to Madrid, you can get to the seaside within an hour, and if you need the proximity of running water, then the Thames is on your doorstep. I can't think of something similar to Madrid's Plaza Mayor though, down to the weather, I suppose.
Well, if offered a job in London I'd go. It has its downsides and also its advantages. Certainly there's a lot going on every day. However IMO Madrid is a far better place to live. Even when talking about water - the tap water in Madrid is superb compared to London (to be fair, once anything has been re-processed 7 times....) . And I'm afraid you won't find a place in London where you can drink a glass of wine for 1 pound 20 and still get a free plate of boquerones or tortilla or jamon to nibble on... Worst things about Madrid? Trying to walk anywhere - people keep wandering in your path. The noise (well London isn't any better). Plus it's surprisingly difficult at times to eat cheaply at night - make full use of those free tapas.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Who mentioned the "radius of the Metro"? As it happens the metro has a second loop in the south and also extensions to the north (Alcobendas) and to the west (well a tram system). In one of Craig's other threads he stated he would be working in Barajas and someone (I think it was Forteleza) suggested some good places on the east of Madrid that would be suitable and the accommodation not nearly so expensive. Incidentally there are loads of single people who get by in Madrid on just 1000 a month salary. 2200 would be ok for a family - ok so you wouldn't be able to eat out every night and run a BMW but it can be done. There are 100,000s of migrants who work in Madrid from Rumania, Algeria, Ecuador, Peru,etc many of them have family . Do you really think they earn more than 4000 a month?
You are right when you say that property is far cheaper to rent out in Alicante or Valencia, but if the work's in Madrid...
I agree with you on the whole, but migrants tend to live in shared flats with several family members or flatmates. I know this as I have Colombian friends, 6 family members, 4 of whom who work, living in one 3 bed apartment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.