Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid Accom for 1 Year with a Dog

Madrid Accom for 1 Year with a Dog

Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Kwtsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madrid Accom for 1 Year with a Dog

Hi, my name is Jon and I'm currently on the move again from New Zealand to study for a Masters in Madrid, due to arrive mid July in the hope I can find accommodation before the August holiday season closes Madrid down!

I plan on staying in a few Airbnb places on my own whilst looking around Madrid in the last two weeks of July.

I'm looking for guidance on the type of accommodation I might be able to find within my budget (€800 PM ish) and particularly with a small dog. Ideally I'd like to find somewhere to live on my own and if feasible with some access to a small garden / terrace so my dog can call outside when necessary. Ideally I'll need a bedroom plus kitchen/lounge and maybe a 2nd bedroom for a big desk and study, or maybe an open plan studio of some sort? I'm not an inner city apartment dweller, so would prefer somewhere on ground floor and close to a park or rural land, but will be needing to travel by Metro into the city most weekdays to go to UC3M Uni in Toledo within say 20 mins or less. Equally am open to suggestions as to suburbs to look at or avoid and in particular any resources such as web sites to find accommodation. I speak basic Spanish, but pretty rusty Ideally I want to find the right spot and stay put for the year I'll be there, perhaps longer.

Ideally I'd find somewhere unfurnished as I have. 20ft container of household contents arriving from NZ in September, have heard you don't get any appliances or curtains for unfurnished places? Alternatively somewhere finished and I'll put some stuff in storage close by.

Also wondering what to do about a vehicle, considering my dog too. How practical is car ownership in these suburbs for parking etc? Maybe I don't bother, I hear some people take their dogs into the Metro?

Any suggestions, insights or guidance would be most appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by Kwtsh; Jun 13th 2015 at 7:27 am.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Madrid Accom for 1 Year with a Dog

Hi Jon, I presume you mean that your campus is Puerta de Toledo which is just south of Madrid city centre and reasonably well connected by public transport so you could look for flats in areas on the same metro line to make life easier.

800€ should get you a decent place.. if you want open plan, look for a LOFT... these are units often on the edge of industrial estates, originally planned for offices but being occupied for living purposes by professionals. They typically have decent terraces and maybe a parking space.

There are many websites offering rented accommodation.

Your dog might prove a problem and I don't think it's typical to see them on the metro.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kwtsh
Hi, my name is Jon and I'm currently on the move again from New Zealand to study for a Masters in Madrid, due to arrive mid July in the hope I can find accommodation before the August holiday season closes Madrid down!

Any suggestions, insights or guidance would be most appreciated
Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out loquo.com
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary, thanks for the welcome.

Mustard: Great Suggestion to look for lofts, sounds perfect for my needs. I realise I'm severely limiting my options with my dog, but am sure I'll find something somewhere. You mentioned lots of websites for hunting of accommodation, any particular suggestions? Particularly for unfurnished seems hard to locate?

Tabbicat: that's a really helpful link, much appreciated, looks like a few options on there.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 18th 2015 at 7:38 am. Reason: remove very odd link
Old Jun 15th 2015, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon, try googling madrid lofts en alquiler
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live too far from Puerta de Toledo.

For €800 you can get a 2 bed flat with communal garden, or maybe a newer 1 bed flat with a pool thrown in as well (but remember the pools only tend to open during June, July and August so if you're not around then, you never get to use it anyway). For some reason the newer flats tend not to have balconies.

Try looking near the river, as that has a long park running next to it. Maybe in the Acacias or Chopera areas.

Your main problem is finding a landlord that accepts pets. I think quite a few do, but you need to hunt them down.

You don't need a car really, but you can only take small dogs on the metro if they are in one of those dog carrier boxes.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Chopera, that sounds promising and down by the river does sound quite appealing. I'll check out those suburbs, that exactly the kind of local knowledge I was hoping to pick up! Also quite impressed with the choose of lofts for 600-1000 euros Mustard.

I realise my dog limits my options, but am finding lots more options in Madrid for pets than I expected, seems like quite a canine friendly city.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I remember, when renting a flat you need to pay a deposit of 1-2 months rent and if through an agency a month's fee. If going through an agency, make sure it's a genuine one. Also, there are other things to consider like water, electricity, gas, internet/phone... You will most likely be responsible for giving the "alta" (signing up for) all these. You will need a bank account too. It can be expensive to rent a flat yourself, which is why most people share to start with. Also, many contracts for flats are long term.

Unless you are planning on staying in Spain or Europe long term, you might find it easier to leave your dog with family or friends until you return, if you can.
Same goes for furniture. You would find it much easier to just rent a furnished room in a shared flat. You might even find one where they accept pets.
Why don't you ask the university for advice?

Suerte!

Last edited by tabbicat; Jun 15th 2015 at 9:37 am.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks tabbicat, had an expectation for some funds required upfront and expecting a 6-12 month lease as a minimum and expecting bills to be on top. Always a risk when trying to find a good place to stay in a city you don't know, which I guess is why I'm asking here! I quite like living on my own and it's easier when owning a dog. The Uni does have a website for accommodation, but it's primarily aimed as undergrad student flats.

I'm migrating from New Zealand so my dog is my company! I do currently have family in Denia but they're moving back to the UK soon. I'll be bringing all my belongings as even if I end up migrating to Australia afterward I want to retain the flexibility of moving anywhere. I can store everything quite cheaply. Nice having two passports! Bizarrely it's more expensive to move from NZ to Australia than in it is to Spain!

Madrid / Spain looks like a great place to live as a student and I speak moderate Spanish already, but it's a bit rusty so have been back listening and going to an intensive 2 week course as soon as I arrive. I already have an NIE from when I've lived in Spain previously so will get a bank account as soon as I arrive.

One year in Madrid or maybe a touch longer we will see, so hopeful to find the right spot for me with a bit of hunting!
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered you can take pets on the Cercanias rail network, without the need for the carrier box. Also there is a Cercanias station not far from Puerta de Toledo (piramides) so you could live a bit further out in somewhere a bit more rural and commute in quite easily. Places like Aravaca and Pozuelo are more leafy (but quite up market) and as you get past Las Rozas you are into the much more rural areas.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks that's hugely helpful. I found the length of confirms this

Madrid – Travel with

That means I can live without a car for walkies and explore more around Madrid, brilliant!