Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the lovely french police[not]

the lovely french police[not]

Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

janet57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the lovely french police[not]

Just a warning to anybody travelling through france to england.we were stopped in france by the police .[after letting french.polish trucks through]and asked what tobacco we had we told them we had 6 packs of tobacco and 8 sleeves of cigs.they then made us follow them to the local nick.they confiscated all but 2 sleaves of cigs and 2 tobacco.kept us there for 3 hours why they typed 4 sheets of french blog and give it us.I asked what it said [and in a voice from the policeman in allo allo]he said that is all you are allowed per vehicle.then let us go......and then shouted after us...have a good trip .not only do we not smoke [it was for friends and relatives]we had missed out boat at dieppe and had to wait 8 hours for the nexy one....we travel to spain every other week[never get stopped in spain] the french police seem to stop every british truck[but theres not many of us now]
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the lovely french police[not]

Originally Posted by janet57
Just a warning to anybody travelling through france to england.we were stopped in france by the police .[after letting french.polish trucks through]and asked what tobacco we had we told them we had 6 packs of tobacco and 8 sleeves of cigs.they then made us follow them to the local nick.they confiscated all but 2 sleaves of cigs and 2 tobacco.kept us there for 3 hours why they typed 4 sheets of french blog and give it us.I asked what it said [and in a voice from the policeman in allo allo]he said that is all you are allowed per vehicle.then let us go......and then shouted after us...have a good trip .not only do we not smoke [it was for friends and relatives]we had missed out boat at dieppe and had to wait 8 hours for the nexy one....we travel to spain every other week[never get stopped in spain] the french police seem to stop every british truck[but theres not many of us now]

Frenchy`s never did like them !! And i knew they didnt like us Brits
Now you have just confirmed it bet the buggers keep them for themselves
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Frenchy`s never did like them !! And i knew they didnt like us Brits
Now you have just confirmed it bet the buggers keep them for themselves
you got caught technically smuggling tabacco, got let off with a warning, and now you are complaining ?

i'd think yourself lucky !!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:21 am
Just Joined

thrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nicethrifty is just really nice

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you got caught technically smuggling tabacco, got let off with a warning, and now you are complaining ?

i'd think yourself lucky !!
try it in germany i got a 33 euro fine and 600 cigs confiscated in a romanian van i bought my tobacco in luxembourg and they nicked that too even though i complained i had paid EU tax on it i only had 2kgs buggers ok so the cigs were romanian and ok i accept it was not ok but the baccy i was well miffed about
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There are no official amounts, just suggested, on what you can take through customs in the EU.
If they think it is not for your personal use then they can confiscate it.
Maybe you had too much of each, you should of kept it to baccy or ciggies of the same make.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

we did.the tobacco was the same brand.my partner said it was for him and the cigs were the same i said they were for me. we know someone who was stopped and they told him they were confiscating his tobacco.so he got out of his truck[when there backs were turned]put the tobacco under the wheels of his truck and ran over them and confiscated them himself.the police were not amused.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

we did.the tobacco was the same brand.my partner said it was for him and the cigs were the same i said they were for me. we know someone who was stopped and they told him they were confiscating his tobacco.so he got out of his truck[when there backs were turned]put the tobacco under the wheels of his truck and ran over them and confiscated them himself.the police were not amused.
When you say police, do you mean custom officers ?
You are not breaking the law until you try to leave France with them anyway.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:07 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very odd doesnt even look like you had that much to be honest.
Ah well next time get the ferry straight to spain avoiding france alltogether. At least that way you dont have to step on yucky yucky yucky french soil!

Every since i went to Lille i've fallen out with France. Total s*it hole.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

yes your right customs i meant.and yes it is a s--t hole they even expect you to use one in the floor in the toilets.i also think its wrong that they think its normal to close the mens or womans toilets and you have to use one toilet.is it me being old fashioned ,but i dont want to go into the mens toilet or have them coming into the womens when i am trying to have a wash.right moaner arnt i.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:46 am
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

That doesnt seem a lot at all

Were you carrying a gun?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

I did suggest that as it was a week before christmas they were stocking up for themselves[in a calm voice]but that did not go down too well with them.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Strange .... it is actually not illegal to buy cigarettes in Spain and take them to the UK under H M Customs & Revenue Management Act - after all this IS the EU. So you weren't smuggling tobacco at all. I have no idea why they took it off you, although I have heard of similar stories of counterfeit designer handbags and stuff being confiscated which I guess you can understand. There ARE British customs officers stationed in France at the ports.

The law is that the goods must be for personal use, and not for re sale or gifts. Thats why people are able to go to Calais and fill up their cars with wines & spirits & tobacco and return to the UK with impunity. I think the French have just decided its a way of getting cheap cigarettes!!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

You can take them on the plane.they never stop us at calaise.it is the new law in france they stop you before you get there .your right about eu but its the same with trucks on sunday you cannot go through france with a truck unless it has fresh produce on.but they can come through england on sunday.also you have to buy road tax daily if you go through belgium they dont buy road tax in england.dont get me started........tony blair get your finger out.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

bit dispondent at the moment .we bought 30thousand square metres of land 18 months ago near peniscola we have done everything we were told ie spanish solicitet spanish architect.all the drawings were completed and now the forrestry has objected to the building licence.saying a fire was on the land 10 years ago and a new law in spain says if the fire was deliberate then the land cannot be built on for 30 years.apparently some unscrupolous builders use to burn land and then aquire it cheap at a later date...and early indications says our land was burnt deliberatly.......absolutley gutted.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can take them on the plane.they never stop us at calaise.it is the new law in france they stop you before you get there .your right about eu but its the same with trucks on sunday you cannot go through france with a truck unless it has fresh produce on.but they can come through england on sunday.also you have to buy road tax daily if you go through belgium they dont buy road tax in england.dont get me started........tony blair get your finger out.
Same in Germany ... our vehicles used to have to queue at the border at midnight on Sunday, waiting until we could enter ..... British haulage industry was decimated by Willy Betz / Eastern European hauliers who would work for next to nothing because they didn't have £3.5k a year road tax to pay and huge insurance bills

if the fire was deliberate then the land cannot be built on for 30 years.apparently some unscrupolous builders use to burn land and then aquire it cheap at a later date...and early indications says our land was burnt deliberatly.......absolutley gutted.
That is appalling ... so sorry to hear of yet another unscupulous way of aquiring land ... what do you do now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.