Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the lovely french police[not]

the lovely french police[not]

Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:20 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the lovely french police[not]

Hi Janet57,
Iv found it interesting reading your post,and it bought memories back,I used to drive HGV on the continent uk/spain/portugal,its going back awhile now,it was from about 1987 to 1992,I expect its changed alot,well when I used to drive down you had to stop at the boarders and get papers to be able to go into Spain,you could be held up for a couple of days waiting for clearance.In them days it was not uncommon for the men and women to use the same facilities,you could have a man of any nationality having a shave whilst you were cleaning your teeth,no one batted an eye-lid,I dont think they thought of catering for woman drivers,however they did build a new shower complex at the T.I.R. truck park at Barcalona and they catered for woman.I dont think the T.I.R is there now,there was other places you got to know where you could get a shower ect.privatley,( Tillys Bar at Puig ) just off the N340 above Valencia ,she was a english lady married to a Spanish guy,they did a real good meal has well.Then there was Freds Bar in Madrid and several others up and down.

As far has the French police go,they are has bent as bent can be,it was common practice for them to pull you over and ask for coffee,this meant that they wanted a couple of packs of cigs off you,or sometimes they would ask to look in the back of the trailor,they would just take a box of fruit or whatever,you just dident argue,it was just so widespread,they were the same all over,well I could talk about this all night,like you said there is proberly a lot less uk trucks going over these days,I spent some happy times driving on the continent,I wish you happy and safe trucking
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hi Janet57,
Iv found it interesting reading your post,and it bought memories back,I used to drive HGV on the continent uk/spain/portugal,its going back awhile now,it was from about 1987 to 1992,I expect its changed alot,well when I used to drive down you had to stop at the boarders and get papers to be able to go into Spain,you could be held up for a couple of days waiting for clearance.In them days it was not uncommon for the men and women to use the same facilities,you could have a man of any nationality having a shave whilst you were cleaning your teeth,no one batted an eye-lid,I dont think they thought of catering for woman drivers,however they did build a new shower complex at the T.I.R. truck park at Barcalona and they catered for woman.I dont think the T.I.R is there now,there was other places you got to know where you could get a shower ect.privatley,( Tillys Bar at Puig ) just off the N340 above Valencia ,she was a english lady married to a Spanish guy,they did a real good meal has well.Then there was Freds Bar in Madrid and several others up and down.

As far has the French police go,they are has bent as bent can be,it was common practice for them to pull you over and ask for coffee,this meant that they wanted a couple of packs of cigs off you,or sometimes they would ask to look in the back of the trailor,they would just take a box of fruit or whatever,you just dident argue,it was just so widespread,they were the same all over,well I could talk about this all night,like you said there is proberly a lot less uk trucks going over these days,I spent some happy times driving on the continent,I wish you happy and safe trucking
We used to drive through france in the 70`s and most of the loo`s were shared.
A lot of them were like shower bases with a bigger waste hole and two footmarks to stand in.
I dont think Thomas Crappers stuff has arrived in a lot of France to this day, lol
Attached Thumbnails the lovely french police[not]-crapper.jpg   the lovely french police[not]-tc-1892.jpg  
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We used to drive through france in the 70`s and most of the loo`s were shared.
A lot of them were like shower bases with a bigger waste hole and two footmarks to stand in.
I dont think Thomas Crappers stuff has arrived in a lot of France to this day, lol
jdr, alot of the toilets in france are still like that !
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

janet57 is an unknown quantity at this point

everything you said about borders.papers ect my partner told me about as he has been trucking for over 30 years he told me about how the police use to stop him and bribe him.also he went in tillys ever time he went to spain.and told me hilerious tales about what went on.over the years we have been to see tilly as she retired upstairs with her husband miguel.however the last time we went 2 years ago they were not there. when we sit at dover now its sad that 90per cent of the lorries are foreign that come off the boat.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:30 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janet57
everything you said about borders.papers ect my partner told me about as he has been trucking for over 30 years he told me about how the police use to stop him and bribe him.also he went in tillys ever time he went to spain.and told me hilerious tales about what went on.over the years we have been to see tilly as she retired upstairs with her husband miguel.however the last time we went 2 years ago they were not there. when we sit at dover now its sad that 90per cent of the lorries are foreign that come off the boat.
Hey , it dosen,t half bring memeries back,your partner would of used the T.I.R parks as well,Im not suprised that Tilly isent there anymore she was getting on a bit last time I saw her,the longest trip I ever did was 28 days round trip,that included a trip to Tenerife on a spanish frieghter out of Cadiz,we were only in tenerife for six hours,delivering a yougart machine on a tilt.From there we picked up a second hand machine up which we then took to Porto in Portugal,we headed back towards Madrid for a back load but there wasnt anything ,so we cut across to Alicante and collected a load of onions to go to Scotland ,it was one hell of an experience,we had boxes on our trailers and carried a small two ring gas cooker,we did a lot of our meals at the side of the truck,has did a lot of drivers then .
I have since worked for various companys,I gave up going away after I remarried in 97.Unfortunatly I injured my back two years ago pulling the curtains,so now am disabled and unable to drive a truck I have also worked in transport offices on the management,but other factors dictated that I gave that up,I wonder if your partener has heard of me,there are a few more woman drivers about now,I think when I passed my test in 87 there was only a handfull.Hey I could write a book,Im off now till the next episode.Happy Trucking,By the way do you double up with your partner? Cheers
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

no I dont drive well not trucks anyway.I remember a jenny and charlie who both drove I think they were from yorkshire or was it lincolnshire.I know how you feel I have crumbling discs in my back its not very nice.like me you proberly have good and bad weeks.everyone knew my partner as foxy.I will ask him if he remembers you.as he was doing spain at the same time as you.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:06 am
Young at heart

no I dont drive well not trucks anyway.I remember a jenny and charlie who both drove I think they were from yorkshire or was it lincolnshire.I know how you feel I have crumbling discs in my back its not very nice.like me you proberly have good and bad weeks.everyone knew my partner as foxy.I will ask him if he remembers you.as he was doing spain at the same time as you.
Sorry to hear about your back,I am on morphine based patches for the pain,they dont seem to help much though.It used to me myself and my previous husband,our business was Dave Johnson Transport,we ran out of Bletchley,Milton Keynes,I had my own F12 with my name on it ,white and red.We had other drivers who worked for us,one of them was engaged to a spanish girl,she didnt drive but travelled with him,I passed my test in one of our own F7,s,.Cor the spanish girl I was talking about could drink anyone under the table,in fact they got pulled in UK for drinking and driving ,in one of our trucks ,it was lucky we were home because we had to go down to LEWES to sort it out,I ended up having to deliver the onions to Scotland whilst my o/h sorted the mess out.Well there is another tale .Hey JDR will be chucking us off ,this is a expat forum not a truckers
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Are you moving to spain?if we dont have any luck with our building licence we will have spent 30thousand and will be left with a piece of land we cant do anything with.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

heard today that rumour in the village is that the fire was deliberate about 10 years ago.the soliciter we saw said everything with the land was okay when we bought it.if this true we cannot build on it and will lose thousands.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:01 am
Young at heart

Are you moving to spain?if we dont have any luck with our building licence we will have spent 30thousand and will be left with a piece of land we cant do anything with.
We will be moving to Spain eventually,good heavens what awfull news about your land ,you must be gutted,its terrible.If you cant get the building licence you will have to look at selling it,and that will be at a big loss if its no use for building,I think I would look at getting a lawyer on the case.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever been in trouble with any police ????????
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Has anyone ever been in trouble with any police ????????
You expect us to answer that officer?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:04 pm
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Just a warning to anybody travelling through france to england.we were stopped in france by the police .[after letting french.polish trucks through]and asked what tobacco we had we told them we had 6 packs of tobacco and 8 sleeves of cigs.they then made us follow them to the local nick.they confiscated all but 2 sleaves of cigs and 2 tobacco.kept us there for 3 hours why they typed 4 sheets of french blog and give it us.I asked what it said [and in a voice from the policeman in allo allo]he said that is all you are allowed per vehicle.then let us go......and then shouted after us...have a good trip .not only do we not smoke [it was for friends and relatives]we had missed out boat at dieppe and had to wait 8 hours for the nexy one....we travel to spain every other week[never get stopped in spain] the french police seem to stop every british truck[but theres not many of us now]
Where in France were you stopped,is this happening in just one area and is it only commercial vehicles
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

we have been stopped many times from irun right up to about a mile from calaise.its not just commercial vehicles but they told us any vehicle is only allowed 2 packs of cigs and 2 packs of tobacco no matter how many people are in the car. just a funny story about the no smoking rules.......because we stop off at very old spanish bars most are ignoring the no smoking bans in the bar.but the restaraunt part is no smoking.but one old bar has a built what looks like a small greenhouse in the corner for NON SMOKERS.with just 2 tables........with regards to the land we are going to take it further but I have a sinking feeling its going to be hard.but we are determined not to give up.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

with regards to the land we are going to take it further but I have a sinking feeling its going to be hard.but we are determined not to give up.
Can you use the land for anything else in the meantime?

Something that might produce a little cash?

Or start establishing parts of the garden? ie if the worst comes to the worst, and you can neither build nor sell, you might be able to have a nice garden in which you could camp some of the time, and that would help sell the land down the track..... just some thoughts.

I really feel for you guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.