Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lost driving licence that was due to expire

Lost driving licence that was due to expire

Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:57 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost driving licence that was due to expire

Originally Posted by andyrich666

I guess the reason people hang on to a UK licence is that it can not be endorsed no matter what anyone says, I had a issue this summer and they cant do jack, and they don't inform the DVLA,

Andy
Sorry but they can if you are a resident. They can insist that you change it and the points go on the new licence or have it endorsed and entered on the Spanish database. When you have lost all your points you are no longer able to use it.

Why do people spend all this effort to avoid the law of the country they live in.

Personally I think they should be thrown out but of course EU law prevents this.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats quite informative as I was not aware of that, I have only been a tourist for now, so I am just expressing an opinion from what I have taken in from other Ex Pats, I guess the same happens all over Europe,

I would possibly argue though that in some communities a local Spanish resident may not be treated as harshly as a ex-pat be it English German or Dutch, and therefore they may feel justified.

I would assume you can get away with so much but as soon as your known then maybe things will change.

You will always find with motoring law in any country some who agree with the law and more'so who don't.

I get what you say, but please accept from me it is just a guess as to why people would not change.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you say, but please accept from me it is just a guess as to why people would not change.
I didnt change mine simply because I didnt want to and I didnt have to.
I wasnt breaking the law, it was within the rules.

Had it got to a stage when I needed to under the rules then I would probably have done so
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:48 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

If you get pulled by UK plod, you give your current address as you would have to, sometimes I would choose the address on the licence but sometimes you cant, so whatever is on the licence is ignored and they automatically inform the DVLA of the change, I will just put this in as some people might benefit from it.

I guess the reason people hang on to a UK licence is that it can not be endorsed no matter what anyone says, I had a issue this summer and they cant do jack, and they don't inform the DVLA,

Andy
The reason I 'hung on to' my UK licence was a) there was no requirement for me to change it and b) we intended to return to the UK eventually, which we have now done.

I did manage to change it for another UK one because I was in the UK for seven months of the year it expired,(therefore UK resident), so I just renewed it while I was in the UK, albeit a few weeks earlier than I needed.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice and opinions here.

Do any of you guys happen to know if I can exchange my UK licence for a Spanish one with just the paper part of my UK license and a stamped letter from the Spanish police?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barajoz

Do any of you guys happen to know if I can exchange my UK licence for a Spanish one with just the paper part of my UK license and a stamped letter from the Spanish police?
I doubt it as it does not show the categories of vehicles that you are entitled to drive.

You will need the Certificate of Entitlement from the DVLA to prove that.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:49 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Sorry but they can if you are a resident. They can insist that you change it and the points go on the new licence or have it endorsed and entered on the Spanish database. When you have lost all your points you are no longer able to use it.

Why do people spend all this effort to avoid the law of the country they live in.

Personally I think they should be thrown out but of course EU law prevents this.
and that also covers many other items arising from living in another country. Too many seem to think it is their Human Right to live "under the radar" - after all they are British.

and it is about time EU law allowed for forced return to original country if they make themselves persona non grata. Too many times people from other states bring their bad habits across without any fear of consequences.
And here I don't just mean not changing driving licence, taxation etc, but people trafficking, rape, theft, prostitution etc etc. We have enough of our own without.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barajoz

My understanding is that you need to have the credit card license itself in order to make the exchange.

Rosemary