British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Losing Your Independence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/losing-your-independence-418182/)

tim hortons man Jan 13th 2007 8:28 am

Re: Losing Your Independence

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4279618)
I don't know about anyone else, but I feel much more nervous as a passenger in Spain than I ever have as a driver!

Mind you, when I get back to the UK after a stay in Spain, I sometimes forget which side of the road I should be on!:eek:

I'm on the other side of the fence, I've taken my car over to the UK a few times, and other than odd mistake (freaked my cousin out when I turned right out of the pub and drove right LEFT LEFT LEFT nearly gave him a heart attack) it wasn't too much of a problem, people see the plates and understand when you drive through the intercesion on the "wrong" side but over christmas we to Nottingham for a few days and decided and rented a car, big mistake, totally freaked me out looking to the left and seeing people beside me:scared: we parked the car and took taxis for the rest of the holiday . Won't do that again, it's either my car or taxis and bus! I can handle driving on the otherside if I have my own car!

helenp Jan 13th 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by culchie (Post 4272070)
I think that one of the fatal mistakes that women make on relocation to Spain is leaving the driving to their partner. I have numerous friends who just kinda let it slide and are now totally dependent on their partners.....it´s one of the pieces of advice that I give all women... drive, get out there and drive.

As for the 24/7 thing ...this is a feature of retirement no matter where. Men, in particular, find it very difficult to go from work to zero and women find it difficult to have them underfoot all day....it´s a whole new ball game, isn´t it?

I totally agree I stopped driving in UK for a couple of years and lost confidence, but 18 months ago got a job and started driving again which I love, just getting out on your own the freedom. When we move to Spain I will be driving even if some of the mountainous roads are a bit hairaising!!!!

Helen

culchie Jan 13th 2007 9:45 pm

In our household the woman makes all the small decisions and the man makes all the big decisions.

So the woman decides how the budget is spent, where the kids go to school etc.

And the man decides whether we should invade Iraq, join the Euro etc.

LOL!!

culchie Jan 13th 2007 9:48 pm

By the way, has anyone any idea when the tram/train from Chiclana to Cadiz will be up and running? They put a big full page ad in the Diario de Cadiz the other day...so many passengers, stops blah blah...but not a word about when this miracle of modern transport will be in place!!

Chiclanagir Jan 14th 2007 5:30 am

Originally Posted by culchie (Post 4282272)
By the way, has anyone any idea when the tram/train from Chiclana to Cadiz will be up and running? They put a big full page ad in the Diario de Cadiz the other day...so many passengers, stops blah blah...but not a word about when this miracle of modern transport will be in place!!

It looks as if San Fernando to cadiz will be open first.

jenna m Jan 17th 2007 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Carol&John (Post 4279462)
Hi,
I'm enjoying reading this thread! Everyone's experiences are interesting and thought provoking. I'll add driving to my list of Things to do 2007, too!
Jenna's comment made me think about the "machismo way of life" of, oooh, say 30 years ago...:eek: Anybody remember when it was frowned upon for a woman to enter a pub? (not the lounge)
Poollounger, I agree, if not a car, then a moped for sure. Easier to park, but a nightmare for the hairstyle!:)
As for taking the bus, go for it! You might even strike up a conversation with an exiled Russian novelist! (another story...LOL)
Regards,
Carol

No, not 30 years ago - just 8 years ago!!
I was quite surprised by it but modern life seemed to co-exist alongside the older values.
Not for us longterm though.
Regards Jenna

Lionda Jan 17th 2007 5:22 am

Originally Posted by jenna m (Post 4294703)
No, not 30 years ago - just 8 years ago!!
I was quite surprised by it but modern life seemed to co-exist alongside the older values.
Not for us longterm though.
Regards Jenna

I still find it a bit unnerving to walk into a bar full of Spanish men, I only went into a bar to use the loo and felt as though all eyes were on me, couldn't get out quick enough :unsure: Is it still that in some bars the men like to be alone without the presence of women :sneaky:

leighbloke Jan 17th 2007 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4294739)
I still find it a bit unnerving to walk into a bar full of Spanish men, I only went into a bar to use the loo and felt as though all eyes were on me, couldn't get out quick enough :unsure: Is it still that in some bars the men like to be alone without the presence of women :sneaky:

Men the world over turn their heads at a fine example of an English Rose, maybe it's when they stop looking you should worry??

Lionda Jan 17th 2007 5:37 am

Originally Posted by leighbloke (Post 4294756)
Men the world over turn their heads at a fine example of an English Rose, maybe it's when they stop looking you should worry??

I like your reply Leighbloke :D If I see you in a bar I'll buy you a beer :beer:

poollounger Jan 17th 2007 8:39 pm

As for taking the bus, go for it! You might even strike up a conversation with an exiled Russian novelist! (another story...LOL)
Regards,
Carol

Carol lets have the story please. A Russian slant on life in Chiclana might make interesting reading...and bring on the exiles I say...make Chiclana more cosmopolitan if it is going to expand regardless.
Gale force winds yest again today here in the south of England..:eek: