British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Losing Your Independence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/losing-your-independence-418182/)

poollounger Jan 12th 2007 3:25 am

Re: Losing Your Independence

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4275602)
They don't use them because they don't know where to find them, the same as their indicators!

Crispygirl don't deter people from driving in Spain. It is easier than driving in Britain, and certainly easier than London. I find Spanish motorists very considerate and have driven in Jerez and Seville. Added to which I look Spanish so don't have them making allowances for me being a foreigner in town. The motorways are a joy. Now consider driving in Italy, especially Rome...I reckon that would challenge anyone.

mikelincs Jan 12th 2007 3:29 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4275602)
They don't use them because they don't know where to find them, the same as their indicators!

Most of the people round here who cause problems with their signalling are in rented cars, they drive up to a junction, signal right, then stop, signal left, then go straight on anyway.

crispy Jan 12th 2007 3:30 am

Originally Posted by glynis (Post 4274435)
Mine will stand outside the shop looking bored - so no pressure than to mooch!

I too am lucky, OH is very happy to either walk around the shops (more than me if the truth be known) or just stand outside (for ever on some occasions)
but this then makes me feel a little guilty and I start to rush or just give up.

I have been thinking that it may be easier for younger people as they either have children to take to school or they have to earn a living; this means they have to get out and about. When you are of an older age group and you are not working it just seems easier to get up and go out as a couple. I thought I would never here my self say it but I do actually miss going out to work. For most of my time in the NHS I was happy and loved my job and most of the people but I was very tried when I left but I think now I have been retired for nearly two years life is becoming much of the sameness. I don't want a job as I don't think I could go back to being somewhere at particular time for x amount of hours, doing as I was told. I think it is just winter blues as I don't think about this when the summer is here and I am busy with family.

crispy Jan 12th 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by poollounger (Post 4275697)
Crispygirl don't deter people from driving in Spain. It is easier than driving in Britain, and certainly easier than London. I find Spanish motorists very considerate and have driven in Jerez and Seville. Added to which I look Spanish so don't have them making allowances for me being a foreigner in town. The motorways are a joy. Now consider driving in Italy, especially Rome...I reckon that would challenge anyone.

Sorry if I gave that impression it was not meant, but I too like others can only speak from experience and as a passenger I find driving in Chiclana very stressful, younger people on motor scooters are my biggest worry they just appear from no where I have seen young girls talking on phones, putting makeup on, reading books, and when there are two of them on the scooter they are busy chatting and swaying from side to side. This is something I see often, we go out most days and I would say it is a daily experience. having said that I have promised my children that I will add driving to my list of things to do in 2007.

Chiclanagir Jan 12th 2007 4:51 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4276019)
Sorry if I gave that impression it was not meant, but I too like others can only speak from experience and as a passenger I find driving in Chiclana very stressful, younger people on motor scooters are my biggest worry they just appear from no where I have seen young girls talking on phones, putting makeup on, reading books, and when there are two of them on the scooter they are busy chatting and swaying from side to side. This is something I see often, we go out most days and I would say it is a daily experience. having said that I have promised my children that I will add driving to my list of things to do in 2007.

When I started driving again over here I was given a good tip. Find somewhere quiet and then go out between 2 and 4pm when the spanish are back home. It just gets your confidence back. Also when you have done that, just pick a short drive only. Drive there and say OH drive back, then go out on your own and you will be away.

crispy Jan 12th 2007 5:00 am

Originally Posted by glynis (Post 4277714)
When I started driving again over here I was given a good tip. Find somewhere quiet and then go out between 2 and 4pm when the spanish are back home. It just gets your confidence back. Also when you have done that, just pick a short drive only. Drive there and say OH drive back, then go out on your own and you will be away.

Thanks Glynis I think I will do that. I learnt to drive actually in the City of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, Westend area. It was easy really as the traffic does not move more than 5 miles a hour.

That's it I have made up my mind we will go into town next week and get me on the insurance as this is really the best time to do it as there is hardly any traffic around this area at the moment.

Lionda Jan 12th 2007 5:31 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4277733)
Thanks Glynis I think I will do that. I learnt to drive actually in the City of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, Westend area. It was easy really as the traffic does not move more than 5 miles a hour.

That's it I have made up my mind we will go into town next week and get me on the insurance as this is really the best time to do it as there is hardly any traffic around this area at the moment.

Go girl Go :D

Lionda Jan 12th 2007 5:33 am

Originally Posted by glynis (Post 4277714)

That's a very good tip Glynis (I've added to your karma for that one ;) ) I haven't driven for 9 years as OH always does the driving so I need to get my confidence back :p

maryann Jan 12th 2007 5:38 am

This is an excerlent thread.
I just wanted to add that my marriage has vastly improved since moving here, we hardly argue now and dont feel under as much stress. We love having more time together and more time with the children.
I think it is a sink or swim situation with the relationship. It really tests you in ways you may not consider. I love my husband so much and the move has really confirmed that.

jjh Jan 12th 2007 5:44 am

Originally Posted by glynis (Post 4274733)
Tried this website but found it confusing. Is it me, or to get to Cadiz you have to go to Seville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Glynis, the bus goes from the Hotel Alboran into Cadiz, I can't remember what times but I think it's on the hour and the half hour.The other stop in Chiclana is outside Eroski.
JJ

Lionda Jan 12th 2007 5:49 am

Originally Posted by maryann (Post 4277807)
I just wanted to add that my marriage has vastly improved since moving here, we hardly argue now and dont feel under as much stress. We love having more time together and more time with the children.
I think it is a sink or swim situation with the relationship. It really tests you in ways you may not consider. I love my husband so much and the move has really confirmed that.

Good luck to you Maryann. I hope you relationship continues to go from strength to strength :)

crispy Jan 12th 2007 11:22 am

Originally Posted by maryann (Post 4277807)

Congrats Maryann, I truely wish you and your family every happiness it is so good to hear good news like this may it continue and grow.

poollounger Jan 12th 2007 11:29 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4276019)

Interesting that you find driving in Chiclana stressful.....I find it exactly the opposite...except for the new roundabouts on the road out of town to Pago. I even take the car into the centre and negotiate all the narrow streets.
Now my friend Wendy who now lives in France....driving with her was an experience, though I never felt insecure...even when she was driving with a cup of coffee while she removed her heated rollers and painted her fingernails at the same time. We once drove London to Edinburgh non stop in about 9 hours, with me feeding her along the way as she drove....in the days before I had a licence.

crispy Jan 12th 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by poollounger (Post 4278916)
Interesting that you find driving in Chiclana stressful.....I find it exactly the opposite...except for the new roundabouts on the road out of town to Pago. I even take the car into the centre and negotiate all the narrow streets.
Now my friend Wendy who now lives in France....driving with her was an experience, though I never felt insecure...even when she was driving with a cup of coffee while she removed her heated rollers and painted her fingernails at the same time. We once drove London to Edinburgh non stop in about 9 hours, with me feeding her along the way as she drove....in the days before I had a licence.

Well Poollounger I must be getting old in my old age and well done to you for being so confident when out negotiating the narrow roads of Chiclana. I too have a friend and a daughter called Wendy and they both fit the description you have given of your friend it must be a name thing. Keep up the driving and more power to your steering wheel.

Carol&John Jan 12th 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jenna m (Post 4272409)
The women in my village never went out - except during the Fiestas, so my wanderings were of great interest!
A friend married to a Spaniard once told me that when she occasionally went down to the coast that she had to be back home before the end of tapas time.

Hi,
I'm enjoying reading this thread! Everyone's experiences are interesting and thought provoking. I'll add driving to my list of Things to do 2007, too!
Jenna's comment made me think about the "machismo way of life" of, oooh, say 30 years ago...:eek: Anybody remember when it was frowned upon for a woman to enter a pub? (not the lounge)
Poollounger, I agree, if not a car, then a moped for sure. Easier to park, but a nightmare for the hairstyle!:)
As for taking the bus, go for it! You might even strike up a conversation with an exiled Russian novelist! (another story...LOL)
Regards,
Carol