Reload this Page >

Losing Your Independence

Losing Your Independence

Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:48 pm
Young at heart!!!!!!!!!!!

costablancaAnna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Losing Your Independence

Originally Posted by glynis
Mainly for the ladies. Do you feel that moving to spain and living 24-7 with your partner and perhaps downsizing to one car between you that you tend to lose your independence? I certainly do. Whereas in the UK on the days off I would just go off and do my own thing in my own car, now I feel guilty about leaving the other half at home on his own. Also there are a lot of women who give up driving when they move over and have to be ferried around. Do they regret this?
I have to agree , I have totally lost my independence.We have a car and a van over here , but I can only drive an automatic car..We cant afford to buy a car just for me , so I am stuck.Back in the uk , I would think nothing of just jumping in my car and driving , not anywhere in paticular , just to get out of the house . My husband worked from home in the uk and I used to do shift work..so I was the one who left the house , I had friends that were my friends , not OURS .I did all the shopping , errands etc ....I am feeling totally lost over here ..if it wasnt for a very good friend of mine , I wouldnt get out at all .My OH hates shopping and everything thats goes with it ..so if I even try to suggest we need to go shopping ..he mopes about and makes me feel like I have asked him to commit murder .....
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jjh
My hubby uses the car for work but I would be absolutely terrified of driving on the roads here anyway.:scared:
This really does surprise me as I always think drivers on the Costa de la Luz are very patient - certainly you don't hear horns blaring like in other parts of Spain.

Give it a try - maybe have a "driving lesson" around Novo Sancti Petri, it's very quiet at this time of year - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I was very very nervous of driving here...but knew I would just hate not having my bit of independence.

Plus the thought of not being able to go to a shopping centre on my own made me feel sick! Nothing worse than going shopping with your other half and they dont want to be there or being on a timer!

A friend of mine was very nervous about driving so she didnt for about 4 years. Last year she got herself a car, took a few refresher lessons and now shes driving everywhere. She cannot believe she went so long without a car and how much it has improved her life.

If I can drive here - anyone can!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Glynis

I rely on my OH for all my outings, We both took early retirement in 2005 and moved here permanently, I had a very busy social life (he on the other hand did not) and when we first arrived here I loved spending 24/7 with him (still do really) OH is the most amazing person and will stop whatever he is doing to indulge my every whim, I only have to say I want to go out and off we go; anywhere just for a ride out to see the sights.

I did drive back in Blighty, but here; well I don't think I could cope with the Chiclana driver! I also feel guilty about going out and leaving him on his own, the look of hurt on his face is heart wrenching when I mention that I might ventured forth on my own, he says "I'll take you, drop you off, you ring when your ready and I'll come fetch you". But just occasionally I would love to be spontaneous and just go out on my own, I am beginning to miss the independence I had of just hopping on a bus or train, meeting friends and family for coffee in town was so easy then. I love where I live but sometime I think being in a town would have been better because I know I would have been much more independent there then I am now.

Having said that what do you know about buses, I am a little nervous about trying them as my Spanish is still very sparse, I seem to remember someone telling me you buy the tickets somewhere before you board does anyone know if that is correct.

That is exactly what I mean. I don´t want to be dropped off and then picked up. I want to go out and come back when I am ready without feeling guilty that I have got the car. I have always done my own thing and that is just as well after thirty plus years of marriage or else I would have killed him and him me! As for riding a scooter I would be petrified. I love the idea in principle but would be sure to be knocked off on the first outing. P.S. I MISS WORK TOO.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try next week to get the bus into Cadiz and have a mooch around the shops and have lunch too. Have become inspired to give it a go.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:00 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try next week to get the bus into Cadiz and have a mooch around the shops and have lunch too. Have become inspired to give it a go.

Good for you Glynis
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:12 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Reading these posts made me question, for those of you who admit to being reliant on OHs for driving etc since moving to Spain, what are you going to do if/when OH maybe becomes unable to drive or, sorry to be morbid...but realistic....dies? How will you all cope than?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived here for over 5 years, and the first thing we did was buy a car and drive, both my husband and I are semi retired, but like most "girls" I love my independence, and get out and about on my own. You need a car where we live or would be housebound, always the lovely shopping centres to browse round, and although lovely going with hubby also nice to have a real good look on your own and take your time.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
We have lived here for over 5 years, and the first thing we did was buy a car and drive, both my husband and I are semi retired, but like most "girls" I love my independence, and get out and about on my own. You need a car where we live or would be housebound, always the lovely shopping centres to browse round, and although lovely going with hubby also nice to have a real good look on your own and take your time.
Mine will stand outside the shop looking bored - so no pressure than to mooch!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

Glynis,
here is a useful link re buses in and around Cadiz. You probably know about it already.
www.tgcomes.es

Glad to hear you are taking that first step to regaining your independence.
Find a nice cafe/restaurant where you can sit and watch the world go by, inbetween browsing around the shops and you will start to feel comfortable doing it on your own. I say this because in recent years my OH won't go out very often and certainly not to any shops so I had to take courage in both hands and go for it by myself

Jenna.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jenna m
Glynis,
here is a useful link re buses in and around Cadiz. You probably know about it already.
www.tgcomes.es

Glad to hear you are taking that first step to regaining your independence.
Find a nice cafe/restaurant where you can sit and watch the world go by, inbetween browsing around the shops and you will start to feel comfortable doing it on your own. I say this because in recent years my OH won't go out very often and certainly not to any shops so I had to take courage in both hands and go for it by myself

Jenna.
Tried this website but found it confusing. Is it me, or to get to Cadiz you have to go to Seville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:30 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

That is exactly what I mean. I don´t want to be dropped off and then picked up. I want to go out and come back when I am ready without feeling guilty that I have got the car. I have always done my own thing and that is just as well after thirty plus years of marriage or else I would have killed him and him me! As for riding a scooter I would be petrified. I love the idea in principle but would be sure to be knocked off on the first outing. P.S. I MISS WORK TOO.
Glynis I have always fancied one of those four wheeled buggies... perhaps next time I am over we can venture onto the Poligono Industrial to the shop that sells them and have a try !!! Not sure If I would want to ride one all the way to Cadiz......
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:46 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Mine will stand outside the shop looking bored - so no pressure than to mooch!

Just like mine. Makes you feel rushed doesn't it. I'm hoping to make some girlfriends when I am over there, someone to shop and dine with and have a giggle....be girlie again and forget (for a little while) that I am a housewife and mother
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:00 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dazzle
This really does surprise me as I always think drivers on the Costa de la Luz are very patient - certainly you don't hear horns blaring like in other parts of Spain.

Give it a try - maybe have a "driving lesson" around Novo Sancti Petri, it's very quiet at this time of year - you might be pleasantly surprised.
They don't use them because they don't know where to find them, the same as their indicators!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:17 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Reading these posts made me question, for those of you who admit to being reliant on OHs for driving etc since moving to Spain, what are you going to do if/when OH maybe becomes unable to drive or, sorry to be morbid...but realistic....dies? How will you all cope than?
I have given this some thought and talked it over with OH, I would move into a town as I know if I stayed where we are I would just tune into a hermit. I would not be able to afford the cost of running a car so somewhere that was well with in walking distance of shops, bars and social life would be important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.