Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies

Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:12 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Take the box into your local pharmacia next time to get them you need NO ID.
No Mike the ID was used to get the Spanish E111 when we pop back to the UK as we like you are on the Spanish health system. The chemist was fine I just showed them the name which I wrote from your post, Can now show the box. I took two of those tablets and they knock you out. You also feel a bit under the weather for about 2 days after. But it does stop the itching.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Plus, the delight is that when it's hot, flies can get off the tape and then they fly off, and land somewhere else in the house and stick fast there.

I have got to ask again.

Why, in the name of a thousand demons do people leave their doors open in the summer? Not only does it allow the flies in, it also raises the temp in the house so that the house is nice and warm at night so you then need air con.

Mike, thanks for pointing that out. Far too often people don't read what it is they are posting about.
To get a breeze!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:20 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but at what price? You fill the house with flies, and on top of that you warm the carcass of the house up.

We always open all the windows at night and let the house cool down asap and as much as poss.

First job when we get up is to shut all the windows. All our windows are protected against the sun shining in.

Open the doors in the day and you warm the house up so it then is miserable getting to sleep!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

So no flies on you then Bil!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the house, no.

First year we left the doors open, and regretted it deeply.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well we leave the doors and windows open day and night. Do not have a problem with flies. Yes we get a few but we have a bat either from www.swatthefly.com or www.swatthatfly.com which is brilliant. Far, far superior to any that you can buy in the shops. Even the smallest mossie can´t get through it. We keep the blinds down during the day where the sun shines in but leave the doors and windows open to let a breeze blow. I would die if I had the house shut up with no fresh air, and I hate flies. Also don´t have a prob with mossies just use the plug ins.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:43 am
bil
Banned

I suppose it all depends on what type of house you have, and what you are trying to do.

If the house is built modern style, with large windows that let plenty of sun in, then basically it matters not what you do.

If like ours the house is a more trad construction, then it does start to matter.

All the windows are smaller, are all protected from the sun, with a shaded terrace at the front which faces south, and the house is aligned EW so that the sun can't shine into the windows at the back.

In the summer, the house acts as a storage radiator for cold, which means that we have less need for AC, and will be trying to do without one if poss. If we kept the doors open in the day, the house would warm up and then we would lose our cool retreat if the heat of the day gets too much.

We keep the mozzies out with fly screens, which are pretty cheap and easy to make and fit. You can even make screens that roll up but are rigid for those awkward windows that have bars.

As for air in the house, well, we mostly live outside so that's not a problem.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:25 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

when i lived in Naples fl Usa we had abig fly screen uilt over the pool and was best think we had pool and bbq was under this all the windows had fly screen aswell living beside fresh water we get the bugs all the time

wich i had one here in spain
jurdy
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:02 pm
bil
Banned

So make one.