Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies

Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:52 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Angry Lord of the Flies

I must say call me old fashioned but where the hell have all those bally flies come from, My estate is oranges surrounded by fir trees knitted close together. I have no pig, horse, cat, or Alligator droppings on my land however since the heavy rain we appear to have more flys this year than ever. :curse:
I have bought a South African Contraption which consists of a plastic bag in which you put 2 litres of water and a 45 gramme powder sachet of rhino droppings. There is only one way into the bag re a valve on the top but no way out the flies are drawn to the smell which humans do not register on their smellometer. That cost 24 euros, Goodness I could have gone to MichaelandDawns and had a coffee for that

Anyway has anyone got any other ideas to rid my flies.......ohhhhh errrrrr
I have the electric zappers in the kitchen its just nice to sit outside the house in the early evening. Ohhhhh and the other day got stung by a black fly on my leg what a mess they leave about a six inch bright red mark and weeping small hole....God I look a sight in my lime green silk shorts so much so Had to wear the check plus 4s.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

... have you tried washing (with water and not Champagne ...)

No, seriously, we're plagued with those d..n flies as well. Just a couple of nights ago, we were walking the estate and were both bitten by very small black insects.

My wife now seems to have elephantitus and I've got bright red wields on both legs taht are soooo itchy.

Does anyone have any way of;

a) avoiding being bitten or
b) once bitten, how can we reduce the pain/swelling etc

We've tried most ointments but none really seem to work.:curse:
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:06 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks

Anyway has anyone got any other ideas to rid my flies.......ohhhhh errrrrr
How about moving further north? The coffee is cheaper too.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh

No, seriously, we're plagued with those d..n flies as well. Just a couple of nights ago, we were walking the estate and were both bitten by very small black insects.

My wife now seems to have elephantitus and I've got bright red wields on both legs that are soooo itchy.

Those are the rotter's.....black flys you never see them my wife's arm was nearly twice its size at the elbow in a few minutes and I have the red marks on my leg that blistered up and wept. very nasty business.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:21 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are the rotter's.....black flys you never see them my wife's arm was nearly twice its size at the elbow in a few minutes and I have the red marks on my leg that blistered up and wept. very nasty business.

Go and have a wash and they may not bother you then!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Go and have a wash and they may not bother you then!!

Howwwwwwwwwwwwwww Veryyyyyyyyyyyy Veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dare you
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:23 pm

Howwwwwwwwwwwwwww Veryyyyyyyyyyyy Veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dare you
I can smell you from here!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:36 pm

I can smell you from here!!

I will have you know maam all my soaps and aftershaves come from Taylor of Old Bond Street,or Trumper of Curzen/Jermyn Street Mayfair I am sure I will not see you shopping there. My hats come from the same street Bates you pay a little extra but you hand them down to the next generation next time your in London give Jermyn street a visit.............................. For once give primart a miss

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 30th 2008 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:46 pm

I will have you know maam all my soaps and aftershaves come from Taylor of Old Bond Street, Mayfair I am sure I will not see you shopping there. My hats come from the same street Bates you pay a little extra but you hand them down to the next generation next time your in London give Jermyn street a visit.............................. For once give primart a miss

Now thats bullpoo I can smell now!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I will have you know maam all my soaps and aftershaves come from Taylor of Old Bond Street, Mayfair I am sure I will not see you shopping there. My hats come from the same street Bates you pay a little extra but you hand them down to the next generation next time your in London give Jermyn street a visit.............................. For once give primart a miss
That brings back some memories, Tonic Mohair suits made to measure 25 quid, cuban heel boots made to measure 20 quid.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:12 pm

Now thats bullpoo I can smell now!!

I can not put my hats through the scanner but here is one of my smellies I may be many things but porky pies......................... nah lass

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

OK, first off keep all windows and doors shut during the day, not just because of the flies.

If you are bitten, hold a hot flannel, mug of tea, whatever against the bite asap.

That really helps.

Finally, use your head and observe the flies. There is a very clever product called an insect pen by Vapona and a couple of other companies.

Flies have a habit of landing on certain objects like lightshades and so on.

You scribble the pen where they land. It contains a clear contact insecticide which lasts for 2 weeks, and with careful use (only apply to clean surfaces), a pen will last a year or two. Flies have a preference sometimes for yellow, so if you create landing points out of thin strips of yellow plastic, they will go there first. If they put one foot on the pen line, they are dead within two minutes.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

My wife now seems to have elephantitus and I've got bright red wields on both legs taht are soooo itchy.

Take anti histamine tablets each day, don't stop the biting, but they do stop the itching, you ca get them at about 4 euros for 30 at the phamacia, BUT hey will ty to sell you Alercina or other brand at 8 euros for 7, you just have to ask for Cetrizina.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by bil
OK, first off keep all windows and doors shut during the day, not just because of the flies.

If you are bitten, hold a hot flannel, mug of tea, whatever against the bite asap.

That really helps.

Finally, use your head and observe the flies. There is a very clever product called an insect pen by Vapona and a couple of other companies.

Flies have a habit of landing on certain objects like lightshades and so on.

You scribble the pen where they land. It contains a clear contact insecticide which lasts for 2 weeks, and with careful use (only apply to clean surfaces), a pen will last a year or two. Flies have a preference sometimes for yellow, so if you create landing points out of thin strips of yellow plastic, they will go there first. If they put one foot on the pen line, they are dead within two minutes.

Bil I know you are trying to help, But I think you should cut yourself a key and get out more old chap
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hang plastic bottles of water up, the flies land on them ,see their magnified reflection and "go away".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.