Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for more interesting books on Spain

Looking for more interesting books on Spain

Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for more interesting books on Spain

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
True, much like "The book Depository", for which one can pay in €, but they do tend to cost more than those on Amazon UK. I wish I could support more independent booksellers since I'd hate to see them die away.
Amazon.es prices seem to be the same as the shops, plus you often have to pay the postage.
Yes I use the Book Depository too, they give you nice free bookmarks.

I think there is some sort of legal minimum price for books in Spain, both electronic and paper, so they are always really expensive. New paperbacks often retail at over €20, it's no wonder people download free pirate e-versions from a certain website in Mexico!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

It really pays to shop around online - prices and postage can vary dramatically - other sites worth checking are:

http://www.alibris.co.uk/

http://www.play.com
(prices shown incl. postage, but they don't always have the choice)

also some of the sites mentioned are actually owned by Amazon!

Yes great to support the smaller dealers.

Once you want a book - what then decides you where to buy it - price? or?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you're ordering books in Spanish from Spain, then this may be of interest:

http://www.casadellibro.com/

Always thought that Fnac in the centre of Madrid did good deals, and had a good range.
A couple of bookstores also in Madrid, sell and buy second hand books in English - J&J bookstores (surviving well by also running a cafe and holding intercambio nights) and also one that I understand that although is still running, is up for sale, Petra's

http://www.jandjbooksandcoffee.com/
http://www.petrasbookshop.com/

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Feb 24th 2013 at 4:00 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I went to J&J in Jan 2012 - and was rather disappointed, most of the stock was either typical Top 10 best sellers or books for courses. Nothing really juicy.

But depends what you are looking for I guess.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think books are more expensive in Spain because they charge IVA

I agree it is sad to see the slow death of bookhops. I used to go to Borders in Kingston and they were one of the first to introduce squashy sofas and a coffee bar, long before Starbucks etc arrived on the scene. They also used to have quiz nights and authors book readings.

There is a Fnac in Marbella but not very large and a bit pricey.

Last edited by jackytoo; Feb 24th 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:46 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread - thanks! Looks like I have a few to add to my list.

I've read my fair share of the "relocation" books. Some are good, but many are economical with the truth I think. I've lived in Spain for almost 7 years and haven't found this place that so many describe.

Read Jeremy Holland's book "From Barcelona" and really enjoyed it. That one is a collection of short stories.

Really enjoyed Victoria Twead's "Chickens" trilogy too.

Hubby has written one - but it's about his charity walk across the Canary Islands rather than general interest. not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of it, because of "interest", so I'll keep schtum.

Elle xx
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
Good thread - thanks! Looks like I have a few to add to my list.

I've read my fair share of the "relocation" books. Some are good, but many are economical with the truth I think. I've lived in Spain for almost 7 years and haven't found this place that so many describe.

Read Jeremy Holland's book "From Barcelona" and really enjoyed it. That one is a collection of short stories.

Really enjoyed Victoria Twead's "Chickens" trilogy too.

Hubby has written one - but it's about his charity walk across the Canary Islands rather than general interest. not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of it, because of "interest", so I'll keep schtum.

Elle xx
I forgot to mention on my list Victoria Hislop's "The Return", an interesting account of the Civil War in the form of a story.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Although they may be fiction - Hemingway's Death in The Afternoon; For Whom the Bell Tolls; Fiesta, The Sun Also Rises
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
I forgot to mention on my list Victoria Hislop's "The Return", an interesting account of the Civil War in the form of a story.
I found that book totally implausable from the start. This old guy starts rambling on about the civil war to a young girl. Most older Spaniards I know/knew are reluctant to talk about it at all, especially to strangers. I would rate her as a Mills and Boon type writer.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I found that book totally implausable from the start. This old guy starts rambling on about the civil war to a young girl. Most older Spaniards I know/knew are reluctant to talk about it at all, especially to strangers. I would rate her as a Mills and Boon type writer.
I should think that most British fiction authors writing about Spain havent got a clue what they are actionally writing about. Fiction in the widest meaning of the word
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are others, such as Javier Cercas's "Soldiers of Salamis".

Yes, most are reluctant to talk of the war, but then that's common to British soldiers that fought in the 2nd world war too.

Thankfully, "el gran silencio" in Spain is slowly giving way, but it'll take another generation at least I reckon, by which time all those who fought in it will be long dead. It's easy to forget that Spain is an extremely young democracy, less than 40 years old.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:39 am
Banned

RodYounger is an unknown quantity at this point

Just discovered this forum thanks to Rob Innis of Spain Exposed and great to see what books about Spain people are reading/recommending and also nice comments about Books4Spain! One book not mentioned here us V S Pritchett's Spanish Temper - a brilliant analysis of the Spanish character. Recently re-published as eBook and also a physical book. A Tomb in Seville and Voices o Old Sea both excellent but hard to get as out of print - we have a few copies of each. Hooper very good too. Lots of reviews and recommendations on our blog www/books4spain.com/blog
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:45 am
Banned

RodYounger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Yes I use the Book Depository too, they give you nice free bookmarks.

I think there is some sort of legal minimum price for books in Spain, both electronic and paper, so they are always really expensive. New paperbacks often retail at over €20, it's no wonder people download free pirate e-versions from a certain website in Mexico!
Book Depository owned by Amazon! Yes there is fixed pricing of books in Spain which encourages piracy. Independent bookshops are dying a slow death - 6th year in a row they have declined in UK. Need to develop a better online presence and also publishers need to give us more support.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I should think that most British fiction authors writing about Spain havent got a clue what they are actionally writing about. Fiction in the widest meaning of the word
Well if it's a romance that just happens to take place in Spain, I don't suppose that matters too much. But you wouldn't write a historical novel without doing some background research, would you? It would never get published!

Incidentally the top-selling fiction book in Spain right now is ... (groan) Cincuenta Sombras de Grey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.