Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking to emigrate to Marbella

Looking to emigrate to Marbella

Old May 21st 2014, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Lizzibaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to emigrate to Marbella

I thought this site was supposed to be helpful?
Old May 21st 2014, 4:09 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzibaby
LOL

You people! It's funny how you all try to scare people off and yet you all live abroad so it can't be that bad. I am asking advice from you all because you live out there and I understand you saying about the unemployment but the employment rates in england are hardly anything to write a song about either!

I am not just resting my search in Marbella, I just am fond of that particular place and if you have any other places I should check out then feel free to let me know instead of just saying things like "she loves the area", its patronising!
No, it's just that many of us have already made all the mistakes and have sorted our way through it... and frankly, many of us are not entirely dependent on the abysmally weak Spanish economy for our well-being, which is an important consideration when moving here.

Personally, I first moved to the ridiculously expensive southwest when I came to Mallorca, because it was what everybody else did and honestly, I "loved" it simply becasue it was what I knew as a long-time visitor.

But living in a place is a very different proposition than visiting. It turns out that it wasn't much different than living in any suburb anywhere. The neighbours were irritating, it was crowded and expensive without getting much in return...

Eventually, we found out that we could live a far better quality of life with more of everything (including the big garden that you aspire to have) at a fraction of the cost by simply moving 40km away. And surprise! we didn't give up anything in that process, despite everybody telling us we'd be completely isolated "out there". But now, I'll never go back to the southwest. Ever.

My sense is that you have decided to do it, and you're going to do it, regardless of any drawbacks, so there's no sense in debating whether you should or not. Better to just try to give you helpful advice - and that's all I was saying.

So, you might consider it "patronising", but really, it's just experience... Nobody's trying to belittle you.. Really.

Last edited by amideislas; May 21st 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 21st 2014, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this site was supposed to be helpful?
I was being helpful

You need to know what you are up against
Old May 21st 2014, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

No you were behaving in a negative way and a non constructive way.

Thanks for just helping me to decide not to use this website again!
Old May 21st 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

No you were behaving in a negative way and a non constructive way.

Thanks for just helping me to decide not to use this website again!
I lived in that area for three years. There were lots of British beauty/hairdresser type people. Shops would spring up and then be gone a year later

It is incredibly difficult. What you are trying to do has been tried by lots of people in the area in the past. The only advice I can give I have already given:
- bring 10,000s of euros for investment and spending money
- expect 2 to 3 years to build up your client base
- 800 euros per month will be what you can expect after 2-3 years. Maybe a little more if you are very good
- it will be difficult to live close to Marbella unless you have a lot of savings and other income

I am not being negative, I am being realistic.
Old May 21st 2014, 4:40 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Cricketman you know the area and are correct, I could have said the same myself but seeing how the land lies I didn't bother. I sense a wind- up.
Old May 21st 2014, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

You have not put me off, I am not completely clueless. Just wanted some advice and the funny thing is, only one member has answered some of my questions!!!

Computer trolls!
Old May 21st 2014, 5:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from all the "negative" comments, you have had a link to a rental site.

Let me try and answer the other two questions you asked.

Assuming you are both EU citizens than you are free to travel and work in Spain. However, there are some restrictions if you wish to stay for more than 90 days.

First you must register on the register of EU foreigners with the local National Police station. You will need to prove that you have adequate financial resources to not be a burden on the State and you must have adequate medical cover which will almost certainly mean private medical insurance.

Driving licenses are not a problem. You can use your UK (or any other EU) license, but after a period you will be required to have the normal medical and also it may expire earlier than it would in the UK. That's all fine in the short term, but you would be well advised, once you have settled down, to exchange it for a Spanish license which is a very straightforward procedure.

Regarding what you consider to be negative comments, they may well appear to be negative, but the reality of foreigners getting jobs in Southern Spain cannot be described as anything but negative.

You commented that we all live here, so it can't be all bad.

Well, many members do not actually live in Spain and of those that do, I think many are either retired or have an adequate income that they do not need to work.

I wish you success but you will find it will take some time to achieve your objectives. At least you have the cushion of some savings behind you.