Reload this Page >

Modern Spanish Electrical Switches!! HElp

Modern Spanish Electrical Switches!! HElp

Old May 21st 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Mongoose Ramhard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Modern Spanish Electrical Switches!! HElp

Hi Guys,

Just popping some lights out in the garden - using a switch certified for use outside and using standard 3 core cable.

Easy enough - ten minute job....or so I thought.

Opened up my switch to find I have ports labled for 1x live and 2 for neutral.....

Can anyone explain in simple terms how an idiot like me can wire this switch properly. I'll have 3 core coming in to the switch and 3 core going out of the switch

Truly baffled, guys and would appreciate any help.

Ta j
Old May 21st 2014, 6:38 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern Spanish Electrical Switches!! HElp

You apparently haven't done much electrical work. You only need to switch the "hot" feed (black or brown), not all 3 (blue is neutral, green is earth - you need not connect these to the switch).

The switch is a common 2 way switch - it is designed to operate as a basic switch or as a (sorry don't know the english name anymore but I'll try "changeover" switch - for when you have 2 switches in different places to control one lamp.

Anyway, just insert the switch to the "hot" wire (black or brown) using the "live" port and one or the other of the remaining ports. One of the ports will have it ON when the switch is "up" and the other port will have it "on" when the switch is "down".
Old May 21st 2014, 6:51 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Basically the live port is easy

The other two ports are the return usually labelled L1 & L2 if memory serves. If L1 is live, then L2 will not be, but switch the switch and L2 will be live and L1 not.

Davexf
Old May 21st 2014, 8:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mongoose Ramhard
Hi Guys,

Just popping some lights out in the garden - using a switch certified for use outside and using standard 3 core cable.

Easy enough - ten minute job....or so I thought.

Opened up my switch to find I have ports labled for 1x live and 2 for neutral.....

Can anyone explain in simple terms how an idiot like me can wire this switch properly. I'll have 3 core coming in to the switch and 3 core going out of the switch

Truly baffled, guys and would appreciate any help.

Ta j
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary