Long lets

Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

pyscho64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long lets

Hi
Im new to the forum and would like to know if someone out there could offer us sound advice, i am seriously thinking about moving to Spain with my disabled husband and we are thinking of moving to the Costa Del Sol area.

The reason we are wanting to move to Spain is because my husband is disabled due to spinal cord damage and this affects his mobility and due to our cold climate back in the Uk this affects his quality of life (he stays indoors throughout the winter period due to this condition, he had an operation 5 years ago, and had to have a fusion and compression in the neck area, and has similar problems to folk who have had a stroke, all this at the age of 40 ) so hence whilst we come on holiday to Spain you can imagine the difference the heat makes on my husband, its almost as if he can walk properly and the severe pain isnt as bad as it is back at home, so you can understand why we are thinking of moving to Spain.

What i would like to know is has anyone got experiences on long term lets, can you recommend letting agencies and what are the conditions to long term lets (ie) what is the time period for a long term let, how much deposit are we likely to be asked for, have the tenants much rights in Spain and are they similar to that of tenants in the UK, as you can see this is all new to myself and my husband, and we would appreciate as much info as possible, also does anyone know if there are good letting agencies in the CDS area and if so please could you recommend them to us.

Well there you have it, im glad i got that bit done, i was a nervous as anything as i didnt know what put down on this forum, oh by the way my name is Juliet and my husbands name is Tom and it is a pleasure reading this forum and taking part in it, we both look forward to any help and assistance and we would be grateful for any info.
Regards
Juliet
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:10 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long lets

I do not have any advice to offer, but I would like to welcome you and Tom.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

jollyjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Juliet.
There are many places now where you can rent with an entitlement to buy later if you choose. If you did that then your rent-money would not be wasted as it would go against the purchase price.

Can I ask you: why the Costa del Sol? It is very crowded and very pricey too (we used to live there). For instance my house here has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and 2 terraces and a biiig patio with trees and a pond. If it was in the Costa del Sol it would be about 400,000 Euros. Here in Valencia province it is 170,000 Euros. Rents are similarly pricey I am pretty sure.

Many people seem to just automatically go to the Costa del Sol (as we did) and then discover that there is a lot more to Spain than that.

We have had 7 houses in Spain over the 17 years we have been in Spain and we haven`t done moving yet. We are in a smallish village in Valencia at the moment but are thinking about moving to a bigger inland Town where there is more life. (see my other thread about Ontinyent).

if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

My experience of letting agents (bar one but they are now a client and so can´t really promote them on here!) down here has been much the same as it was in the UK - they are all money grabbing con artists! Try and go privately through something like www.enalquiler.com and you won´t be lumbered with ridiculous commissions, fees and deposits.

Tenants here seem to also have more rights than the landlord

Prices on the CDS have dropped drastically over the last year or so and bargains can easily be negotiated. The best advice is generally to come over on a fact finding mission, choose your area and then drive around and make note of the 1000s of For Rent signs that litter the place!

Last edited by ShinyAndy; Sep 13th 2010 at 1:19 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jollyjack
Hi Juliet.
There are many places now where you can rent with an entitlement to buy later if you choose. If you did that then your rent-money would not be wasted as it would go against the purchase price.

Can I ask you: why the Costa del Sol? It is very crowded and very pricey too (we used to live there). For instance my house here has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and 2 terraces and a biiig patio with trees and a pond. If it was in the Costa del Sol it would be about 400,000 Euros. Here in Valencia province it is 170,000 Euros. Rents are similarly pricey I am pretty sure.

Many people seem to just automatically go to the Costa del Sol (as we did) and then discover that there is a lot more to Spain than that.

We have had 7 houses in Spain over the 17 years we have been in Spain and we haven`t done moving yet. We are in a smallish village in Valencia at the moment but are thinking about moving to a bigger inland Town where there is more life. (see my other thread about Ontinyent).

if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
Hi Jollyjack

Thankyou for your assistance, in regards to the reason why we have thought about moving to the Costa Del Sol region is because we like the area, but we are also thinking of moving more inland than say on the coastal areas of the Costa Del Sol.

We have also thought about the many different regions of Spain and are open minded about that also, it will obviously be something that we will have to give some considerable thought on before making our mind up.

The reason we want to rent is because we know we are taking a giant step forwards in relocating and we want to make sure it is for the right reasons and we also want to make sure it is the right area, after all we want to relocate for the rest of our lives but we also have to make sure that everything fits the bill first.

Also one or two of our friends who have properties in Spain have suggested that this is the thing to do first, so in hindsight we want to be a bit open minded but we also want to see if it is the right thing to do, after all its not every day that you intend to up sticks and relocate to a different country!

If you could recommend any different regions of Spain that we could look at and research on it would be more than welcome.

Regards
Juliet
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
My experience of letting agents (bar one but they are now a client and so can´t really promote them on here!) down here has been much the same as it was in the UK - they are all money grabbing con artists! Try and go privately through something like www.enalquiler.com and you won´t be lumbered with ridiculous commissions, fees and deposits.

Tenants here seem to also have more rights than the landlord

Prices on the CDS have dropped drastically over the last year or so and bargains can easily be negotiated. The best advice is generally to come over on a fact finding mission, choose your area and then drive around and make note of the 1000s of For Rent signs that litter the place!
Hi Andy

Thank you for that, i will definitely go on a search finding mission, after all its better to see what you are looking at up close and in the flesh, rather than leave it to chance, once again thank you.
Regards
Juliet
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pyscho64
Hi Andy

Thank you for that, i will definitely go on a search finding mission, after all its better to see what you are looking at up close and in the flesh, rather than leave it to chance, once again thank you.
Regards
Juliet
Do as andy says, try and go private, there are so many to let they will bite your hand of for a long let.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

... But if you do decide to go private you should still insist upon a fully legal contract ( Preferably in both English AND Spanish )...
yes, in English so that you can understand it - & get a third party to check the translation, too

& in Spanish to make it actually legal
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, in English so that you can understand it - & get a third party to check the translation, too

& in Spanish to make it actually legal
you need it in Spanish to ensure that you can use it for registering on the Padron etc, you will be lucky to get a contract for mare than 11 months, as if they give you a 12 month contract you are legally entitled to stay for 5 years AFAIK and the landlord can do nothing about it. Tenants have a lot more protection and rights in Spain than the UK. If you can send PMs, then I suggest you contact SueG, who works for a legal company in Spain, not in the area you are looking, but she would give you good advice.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
you need it in Spanish to ensure that you can use it for registering on the Padron etc, you will be lucky to get a contract for mare than 11 months, as if they give you a 12 month contract you are legally entitled to stay for 5 years AFAIK and the landlord can do nothing about it. Tenants have a lot more protection and rights in Spain than the UK. If you can send PMs, then I suggest you contact SueG, who works for a legal company in Spain, not in the area you are looking, but she would give you good advice.
Hi Mikelincs

Thank you for that i will send SueG a message, once again thank you.
Juliet
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:14 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pyscho64
Hi Mikelincs

Thank you for that i will send SueG a message, once again thank you.
Juliet
here's a link

http://www.expresslegalcafe.com/

they are actually on the Costa Blanca, but might still be able to help
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
here's a link

http://www.expresslegalcafe.com/

they are actually on the Costa Blanca, but might still be able to help
Hi Lynnxa

Thank you very much for that, its much appreciated.
Juliet
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:42 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Juliet.
Would the Canaries not suit better as the climate is a lot more stable over the year & going from your first post info this would be important IMO.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

We moved to inland CdS a few months ago and as of yet have no regrets. We used an agent and I have to be honest have no complaints about her at all, she has been here for over 20yrs and speaks fluent Spanish, she found the house that was right for us and did not complain at all when we asked to view and review at different times to suit us.

Our land lords are Spanish and lovely, our agent is happy to translate and act as our middle woman not just with them but with authorities, postal and general problems as well.

It is a renters market and rents are really reasonable but nothing lost if you find the right place and then ask for it 50e cheaper, better in your pocket and it all adds up, we paid nothing for her to help us and I would recommend her any time.

Generally leases are for 11 months and renewable after that, you should pay no more than 1 months deposit and 1 month in advance of moving in, rent is due within 5 days of the new month although about the 28th of the previous month is when it gets collected, you have to decide what level of property your looking for furnished, pt furnished or empty but if you find something that you like it maybe worth asking for things to be added or removed they can only say no. Stick to your specifications do not accept what they are showing you if it does not fit your remitt, they should be working for you not the other way round and do not let them bully you into something that is only ok, you have to live there not them so take your time and get it right.

Research is power, find the area that your interested in, look into what medical facilities there are, bus routes, shops and anything else that you may need, be practicall to all your needs it may be lovely living in the campo but what if's have to be thought through.

Look at it as an adventure and if it is not suitable for you nothing lost just lots of experiences gained, good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jay01
We moved to inland CdS a few months ago and as of yet have no regrets. We used an agent and I have to be honest have no complaints about her at all, she has been here for over 20yrs and speaks fluent Spanish, she found the house that was right for us and did not complain at all when we asked to view and review at different times to suit us.

Our land lords are Spanish and lovely, our agent is happy to translate and act as our middle woman not just with them but with authorities, postal and general problems as well.

It is a renters market and rents are really reasonable but nothing lost if you find the right place and then ask for it 50e cheaper, better in your pocket and it all adds up, we paid nothing for her to help us and I would recommend her any time.

Generally leases are for 11 months and renewable after that, you should pay no more than 1 months deposit and 1 month in advance of moving in, rent is due within 5 days of the new month although about the 28th of the previous month is when it gets collected, you have to decide what level of property your looking for furnished, pt furnished or empty but if you find something that you like it maybe worth asking for things to be added or removed they can only say no. Stick to your specifications do not accept what they are showing you if it does not fit your remitt, they should be working for you not the other way round and do not let them bully you into something that is only ok, you have to live there not them so take your time and get it right.

Research is power, find the area that your interested in, look into what medical facilities there are, bus routes, shops and anything else that you may need, be practicall to all your needs it may be lovely living in the campo but what if's have to be thought through.

Look at it as an adventure and if it is not suitable for you nothing lost just lots of experiences gained, good luck.
Hi Jay

Thank you for the sound advice, we are grateful for all advice and recommendations, we know this is going to be a big change to our lives and want to make sure we have done all of our home work first, so all advice is very much appreciated and welcomed.

Jay could i possibly ask you for the details of the agent that you used, she sounds perfect.
Juliet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.