Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long(ish) Term Rental

Long(ish) Term Rental

Old Oct 30th 2016, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default Long(ish) Term Rental

OK so we have done the 'Place in the Sun' bit and ventured down to Spain on several holidays but the truth is we have only scratched the surface when it comes to finding an area that really suits our needs. I love the vibe of Granada City and have even started to follow their football team but when I discussed living there with my wife we both agree that full time it may not be for us and perhaps a place down on the coast (Almunecar/Nerja) would suit better or if we want to be close to a city maybe even Alicante which we both really enjoyed.

My Spanish is coming along (slowly) and whilst I will never be fluent I can see people appreciate that I make the effort and with modern Apps there really is no excuse - I only found out last week that my wife is a 'Poloco'.

This move needs to be right and I'm now starting to warm to the idea of a long term rental to see if the lifestyle suits and to make sure we have picked the right area. The uncertainty caused by Brexit and the shitty state of the £ are other considerations.

Does anyone have any recommendations on renting? if you can share your own experience then so much the better. For instance as a renter I assume I can still go an buy a car and do pretty much the same things as a homeowner. The monthly rentals look to be good value by comparison to the UK and from what I have seen so far 4 to 500 Euros should do the trick.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long(ish) Term Rental

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
OK so we have done the 'Place in the Sun' bit and ventured down to Spain on several holidays but the truth is we have only scratched the surface when it comes to finding an area that really suits our needs. I love the vibe of Granada City and have even started to follow their football team but when I discussed living there with my wife we both agree that full time it may not be for us and perhaps a place down on the coast (Almunecar/Nerja) would suit better or if we want to be close to a city maybe even Alicante which we both really enjoyed.

My Spanish is coming along (slowly) and whilst I will never be fluent I can see people appreciate that I make the effort and with modern Apps there really is no excuse - I only found out last week that my wife is a 'Poloco'.

This move needs to be right and I'm now starting to warm to the idea of a long term rental to see if the lifestyle suits and to make sure we have picked the right area. The uncertainty caused by Brexit and the shitty state of the £ are other considerations.

Does anyone have any recommendations on renting? if you can share your own experience then so much the better. For instance as a renter I assume I can still go an buy a car and do pretty much the same things as a homeowner. The monthly rentals look to be good value by comparison to the UK and from what I have seen so far 4 to 500 Euros should do the trick.
Hi, I have been renting for over two years. Our apartment is 2 bed, 1 bathroom and a very large balcony. Our rent is €500 per calendar month. The only other required payment is electric, which in our case is around €40 per month. We do have movistar fibre optic internet installed at €58.40 per month but the internet is our choice. Our apartment is on the 12th floor which might not suit some.

As a renter you are able to do anything that owners are able to do or buy.

I wouldn't let Brexit deter you to much but I would rent without a doubt for at least a year before buying. I won't buy in Spain as I like the freedom to move around without having to sell each time.

Steve
Old Oct 30th 2016, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only find "Polaco" on my spanish translation program as opposed to Poloco in your post!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
I can only find "Polaco" on my spanish translation program as opposed to Poloco in your post!
Poloco is OK on Google translate. Polish.

Rosemary
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary, yes I agree but Google translate keeps asking me if I meant to spell it Polaco, which also means Polish .

Steve
Old Oct 30th 2016, 5:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi Rosemary, yes I agree but Google translate keeps asking me if I meant to spell it Polaco, which also means Polish .

Steve
Ah, I see what you mean, that will teach me to look at what it says underneath the box!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a tbought if you are open to other options see post 10

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain.../#post12083407

Jon
Old Oct 31st 2016, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest

What sort of property are you looking for? You can can rent a car when renting.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
As he is talking about his wife it should be "polaca"

Looking for an idea of rental prices try this link :https://www.idealista.com/en/
You can also practise your Spanish

Last edited by Loafing Along; Oct 31st 2016 at 12:19 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Hola Hola what's going on 'ere then. I'm very interested in this subject of long term rentals. I'm 68, male, single and retired. I'm new on here but I've been following this site and read many of the old posts. I'm living in Hampshire but hoping to move to the Albir area as it looks a nice quiet place but I would be within easy reach of Benidorm which seems a lively place with great beaches. What bothers me is the way that most Spanish people (business or public officials) are corrupt - according to the posts here. A suggestion that you can say farewell to your 2 months rental deposit as it disappears into your landlord's deep pocket for example. Another problem being the need for a bi-lingual lawyer to ensure you are made aware of the responsibilities of yourself regarding the property. But apparently you can't trust someone recommended by the estate agent. I've also read somewhere that you can be made to pay for the insurance of the property and it's contents. And hands up those of you who understand the 11 month and 12 month long term rental contracts that apparently aren't as legal as they might appear. I've rented properties throughout my life and it can be a very insecure way of living so the prospect of moving from one property to another isn't what I want but who do you trust? And another thing..........I don't quite understand the position of apartments. Are they in a residential block or are they holiday comings and goings. I would really appreciate as many comments as possible to help me decide on my future. Thanks, and may I be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by ned flanders
Hola Hola Hola what's going on 'ere then. I'm very interested in this subject of long term rentals. I'm 68, male, single and retired. I'm new on here but I've been following this site and read many of the old posts. I would really appreciate as many comments as possible to help me decide on my future. Thanks, and may I be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hola Hola Hola what's going on 'ere then. I'm very interested in this subject of long term rentals. I'm 68, male, single and retired. I'm new on here but I've been following this site and read many of the old posts. I'm living in Hampshire but hoping to move to the Albir area as it looks a nice quiet place but I would be within easy reach of Benidorm which seems a lively place with great beaches. What bothers me is the way that most Spanish people (business or public officials) are corrupt - according to the posts here. A suggestion that you can say farewell to your 2 months rental deposit as it disappears into your landlord's deep pocket for example. Another problem being the need for a bi-lingual lawyer to ensure you are made aware of the responsibilities of yourself regarding the property. But apparently you can't trust someone recommended by the estate agent. I've also read somewhere that you can be made to pay for the insurance of the property and it's contents. And hands up those of you who understand the 11 month and 12 month long term rental contracts that apparently aren't as legal as they might appear. I've rented properties throughout my life and it can be a very insecure way of living so the prospect of moving from one property to another isn't what I want but who do you trust? And another thing..........I don't quite understand the position of apartments. Are they in a residential block or are they holiday comings and goings. I would really appreciate as many comments as possible to help me decide on my future. Thanks, and may I be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Hi Ned, you are in an ideal position, being single etc, for moving out here.

Albir is a lovely place to live but not as lively as Benidorm and very quiet in the winter months. Albir is only a short 15 min bus ride away from Benidorm town centre and will cost you €1.50.

There is some corruption here but it's being cleaned up fast and as an ordinary citizen does not affect you much. Normally you will be asked for only one month's deposit on your rental plus one month advanced rent. I got my deposit back last time I moved apartment. Most residential apartments are in a block of their own but some owners like to rent them to holiday makers through the summer.

There are some English speaking solicitors local to Albir and Benidorm which are very trust worthy and extremely helpful and I have used them throughout my time here.

IF you are a lively pensioner this area will suit you well. Benidorm is a fantastic place but it's not to everyone's taste.

Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Nice mix of hearsay, half-truths and a bit of gossip.
The 11 month v 12 month contract ... A TOTAL NONSENSE. People seem to believe by signing up tenants for less than a calendar year they have some extra protection , not true. What governs the owner's and the tenant's rights is the type of contract - residential or short-term holiday let , in other words the rental purpose . A normal rental contract, residential, should have an automatic renewal clauseunless both parties agree to a notice period clause. Check that first otherwise a good tenant should be comfortable for a minimum of three years in a residential let.
Apartments tend to be residential with a number of owners either absent, abroad, investors in Madrid and elsewhere and a few solitary souls who live 365 days a year. Our community is just like that, out of thirty properties 70% UK owners who visit thoughout the year for short breaks, 4 full-time owner/residents and four long-term tenants.
Long term renting is currently very popular - uncertainty about the future, lots of availability and flexibility.
For a "first-timer" definitely recommend it. Chose your area, rent and then explore, your opinions may/will change.
Lawyers generally good and helpful. High level of english and good experience in the property market. Always insist on a bi-lingual contract .
Corruption is not endemic, there are many, many , many good honest people out there willing to help.You would be considered unlucky if you are dishonestly treated.
If you are worried about your deposit often Spanish landlords will accept a bank guarantee, costs about Euro 50.- a year to maintain but means no deposit.
We have rented in Spain for twelve years and three different properties , never any hassle with our Spanish landlords, always had 100% deposit refunded always been treated extremely , repairs, replacement of white goods etc etc etc.
Come and see for yourself

Last edited by Loafing Along; Nov 2nd 2016 at 4:15 pm. Reason: Correct typos
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rosemary for the warm welcome. How do you cope with the daft and the awkward on here every day ? I will try to behave....Ned.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Steve (or may I call you tebo53 ?). Thanks for being positive with your reply.....Ned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.