Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I WILL move to Spain :)

I WILL move to Spain :)

Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

douggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant future
Default I WILL move to Spain :)

Hi guys

First post on here

I am planning on moving to Spain in about February 2018. I would move earlier (like August 2017 when I start drawing my state pension) but my life is complicated (a matrimonial home to be sold which I currently live in) so that ain't gonna happen. So I'll be 65 when I move (65 and a half actually ) and I'll be on my own. I probably won't have enough capital to buy - well, nothing decent - so I'll be renting, which is probably the best thing initially anyway.

I'm looking at the south-east corner, Almeria area - I made that decision some years back when I was obsessed with astrophotography. Astrophotography requires clear skies and relatively low humidity (which we don't have in the UK you may have noticed) and that area of Spain is ideal. Having said that, I'm less obsessed these days, although I still enjoy it so would still want to live in an area that is predominantly clear for much of the year, and down south somewhere.

I don't want to live in a British ghetto, but I also don't want to cut myself off completely up a mountain or something. I am learning the language but I tend to do that in fits and starts so it's taking time. Inland is probably fine but there is a (fairly large) part of me that would like to live by the sea. Having said that, cost is a consideration and I'm aware that inland is likely to be cheaper. I reckon I'll be surviving on about £1100 a month (plus some capital) so rent of about £450-500 is probably a maximum. 3 beds would be nice, just in case any of my family ever visit me, which would also be nice

Now I know this is very generalised, but any suggestions as to possible locations guys? I have some ideas but advice from people that are more familiar with the area would be useful. I'm flying out to Almeria on 12th November this year for a week, on my own, just to have a nose about and get a feel for a few places, but I have no places on my list at the moment, hence this post.

Any help (and perhaps future contacts that I can run to when panic sets in) would be nice

Cheers

Doug
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WILL move to Spain :)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 20th 2016, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

douggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant futuredouggerman has a brilliant future

Thanks Rosemary
Old Oct 20th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome, divert to the other side :-) over Ayamonte way. Lots of nationalities here and the sea plus fabulous skies and all the beaches you could want in Portugal :-) not mention great choice of food and affordable accommodation.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hello and welcome, divert to the other side :-) over Ayamonte way. Lots of nationalities here and the sea plus fabulous skies and all the beaches you could want in Portugal :-) not mention great choice of food and affordable accommodation.
Thanks for that A bit further west than I was planning but I'll certainly bear it in mind
Old Oct 21st 2016, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do better than Almeria. Best beaches on Med coast. Only true desert in Europe. Very dry with clear skies, and one of cheapest places to live in Spain. Had we opted for the coast it would have been there. Plenty of open spaces around Cabo de Gata, for sky viewing, and mild winters.
Pete
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
You can't do better than Almeria. Best beaches on Med coast. Only true desert in Europe. Very dry with clear skies, and one of cheapest places to live in Spain. Had we opted for the coast it would have been there. Plenty of open spaces around Cabo de Gata, for sky viewing, and mild winters.
Pete
Thanks for the response Pete. Yep, those are exactly the reasons I went for Almeria in the first place - lots of major telescopes in the mountains in that region, and if it's good enough for them... Dark sky maps show that area as the best in Spain as well.

What concerns me now, as I'm less obsessed with astro than I was a few years ago, is would I be happy living in a shack in the desert? I may feel the need for brit company now and again, and I don't think there are too many expats living in Almeria province
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there are plenty of Brits living around Almeria and it does not take long to find out where and what is happening, indeed this is an excellent forum for just that kind of thing. In our town of about 12,000 there are probably only about half a dozen British families living here, but we keep bumping into each other from time to time. good luck with your hunting.
Pete
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:01 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douggerman
>>>>I'm looking at the south-east corner, Almeria area - I made that decision some years back when I was obsessed with astrophotography. Astrophotography requires clear skies and relatively low humidity (which we don't have in the UK you may have noticed) and that area of Spain is ideal. >>>>
Hi Doug,
Have you considered Tenerife?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:41 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douggerman
Thanks for that A bit further west than I was planning but I'll certainly bear it in mind
Hi its great that you have time to consider options and I agree that renting is a good way to 'suck it and see'

Its a very personal and subjective decision, but I would second the Ayamonte area.

We are an active and friendly community, with our own sub-forum called the 'Ayamonte Club' that you will find at the top of the Spanish page. The only one on the Spain forum. It's been going for years.

We are in Spain, but minutes away from Portugal, another culture. In fact where we live, the closest resto outside our development, is in Portugal. We actually fly into Faro airport home of many low cost airlines 40 mins to our place, just across the border. Seville is another option.

Cost of living is cheap. Yesterday 6 of us ate at this Portuguese resto. Salad, choice of main course, desert, coffee and e.g half litre of wine (each) 8 euros. BH 2 friends& I had a wonderful salmon with roast spuds in skin with garlic and oil for 1 euro supplement. Others had a tasty (belly buster) home made Lasagne. There were 3 other main course choices. After we went to a local bar 100m away for drinks in the sun on the terrace. 6 drinks eg wine pints came to less than 7 euros. The total for the lot,10 euros/head. Plenty of options on both countries to eat out, have a drink in the sun for these sorts of prices.

There's no heavy industry, chimneys etc for 50km+. So clean fresh air. We are surrounded by villages, national parks, a plethora of golf courses and the Atlantic. Amazing beaches that stretch for miles....and miles.

I cant understate the positive of having Portugal 5 mins away. It is another culture to profit from.. watch out though there's an hour time difference.

We are not 'tourist heavy' like some of the costas, if you like that of course. Mixed cultures of tourists and locals. For a heavy buzz go e.g west of Faro 40 min+ drive.... Or to Seville 1.5hr drive max.

There are post crisis problems here, no doubt but it means property prices and rentals are very 'interesting''... Very much so! Some great deals here as banks try and shift properties off the books. We bought pre-crisis, so have lost a LOT in value..... But I strongly believe that the 'down-side risk' of losing even more is very small, non existent even. Others can profit from our loss. We have come to accept all that, though, and love it here.. for all the reasons you will see in this post (and many others too many to get into here).

Last week BH and I took a holiday. Drove to the roman town of Merida for a night. Then the medieval city of Caceres (where they filmed some of GO-thrones) for a night, then on the way back to Badajoz for a couple of hours then into Portugal and by luck a wonderful resto, with eg the best ribs 6euro, litre of lovely wine 4eur. As we were driving we took half litre. After they showed us their Adega... Where they make their own wine. This part of the trip was on the' route of wines' in the Alentejo region of Portugal, home of really delicious wines. In fact we personally would say that Portuguese wines are the best (and we are a French-speaking couple, with strong links to France). We were in shorts all day and night, could play tourist in low season without the crowds and heat. Hotels with brekkie, nice 3star, all in walking distance 55 and 62 euro.

Here is something for a casual day trip
http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo.../#post11987845

Or more help on visiting the area post 186 and 188

http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo.../#post11952460

http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo.../#post11953737

We've done other trips to say Seville, Cordoba. Also up to Lisbon, Cascais etc... All driveable. We went to Porto once Ryanair from Faro 19.99 each quick flight.

Anyway as I said its all subjective. I am NOT saying we are the best.... But AM saying there is a lot to consider here.

Good luck
Jon

PS we have Donana natural park abt half hour away which I think is part of the dark skies initiative.
PPS if you have any good links re astrophotography, and how to set up the camera for the best results, please can you share?

PPPS just a thought, dont rule out living in Portugal on our side, meaning do it 'in reverse'. And be minutes away from Spain. Portugal has an attractive system to attract residents. Check out the Portugal forum.... Or Google 'non habitual resident'. No taxes on your pension, no death duties etc. In your case this could be VERY interesting. A 'tax haven' potentially, depending on your circumstances...or post 16. http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain.../#post11352679

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 23rd 2016 at 9:20 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I am sure there are plenty of Brits living around Almeria and it does not take long to find out where and what is happening, indeed this is an excellent forum for just that kind of thing. In our town of about 12,000 there are probably only about half a dozen British families living here, but we keep bumping into each other from time to time. good luck with your hunting.
Pete
Cheers Pete
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Hi Doug,
Have you considered Tenerife?
Hi. Thanks for that

I hadn't, I must be honest. Probably cheaper for my family to drop by in mainland Spain. Good skies down there?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Anyway as I said its all subjective. I am NOT saying we are the best.... But AM saying there is a lot to consider here.

Good luck
Jon
Hi Jon

Thanks so much for that very comprehensive response. You've left me no choice but to have a good look

Doug
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

PPS if you have any good links re astrophotography, and how to set up the camera for the best results, please can you share?
You could have a look at this Jon:

BudgetAstro

That's a website I set up a while back that has some stuff you may find interesting if you want to get into this insane hobby. I tend not to keep it up to date, but the stuff there is useful

PPPS just a thought, dont rule out living in Portugal on our side, meaning do it 'in reverse'. And be minutes away from Spain. Portugal has an attractive system to attract residents. Check out the Portugal forum.... Or Google 'non habitual resident'. No taxes on your pension, no death duties etc. In your case this could be VERY interesting
After all the time I've put into learning Spanish?!
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

But is the property good prices compared with Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.