Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

log burning stove

log burning stove

Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: log burning stove

My advice would be to go to the suggested bronpi shop in Lucena, they have a large selection and are very helpful.
Also give some thought to the type of tubing you buy for the chimney if the chimney is going through an outside wall via an elbow, rather than straight up through the roof.
In my experience the normal push fit black coloured tube will leak at the point where it exits the wall due to condensation of the gasses released by the burning wood, this will result in a smelly, unsightly brown liquid running down the wall. (If you are unlucky it may also run down the tubing inside the house)
The alternative is to ask for "tubo aislado", The shops do not tend to have this on display. It seems that they like to keep it a secret This is usually a silver coloured chimney tube consisting of two tubes, one inside the other, with a layer of insulating material between them. Bronpi will supply a "reducer" so that you can connect the larger diameter tube to your fire. This type of chimney stays relatively cool, so that there is not such a temp drop between the section inside and outside therefore no condensing effect. The tube sections also clamp together giving a tight fit. The downside is that it costs around five times as much per metre
But as you only fit it once using "tubo aislado", could save a lot of grief in the future, as I now know to my cost having to replace my original cheap chimney.

Last edited by big wheels; Nov 5th 2008 at 10:53 am.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:55 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
My advice would be to go to the suggested bronpi shop in Lucena, they have a large selection and are very helpful.
Also give some thought to the type of tubing you buy for the chimney if the chimney is going through an outside wall via an elbow, rather than straight up through the roof.
In my experience the normal push fit black coloured tube will leak at the point where it exits the wall due to condensation of the gasses released by the burning wood, this will result in a smelly, unsightly brown liquid running down the wall. (If you are unlucky it may also run down the tubing inside the house)
The alternative is to ask for "tubo aislado", The shops do not tend to have this on display. It seems that they like to keep it a secret This is usually a silver coloured chimney tube consisting of two tubes, one inside the other, with a layer of insulating material between them. Bronpi will supply a "reducer" so that you can connect the larger diameter tube to your fire. This type of chimney stays relatively cool, so that there is not such a temp drop between the section inside and outside therefore no condensing effect. The tube sections also clamp together giving a tight fit. The downside is that it costs around five times as much per metre
But as you only fit it once using "tubo aislado", could save a lot of grief in the future, as I now know to my cost having to replace my original cheap chimney.
Thats the right way your supposed to do it.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
Thats the right way your supposed to do it.
I just wish I'd known about this tube before I started. I must have spent at least 50 euros on various sealants, fire gum, exhaust repair paste and fire resistant paint, etc on the old push fit chimney trying to cure the leaks. The stuff that comes out through the joints will eat through anything.
Even fitting the tubes "upside down" using an adapter so that the female ends were facing up did not make a bit of difference.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

........and back to the fan........ do try to hear one working. Not only might the switch melt & (thankfully not on ours) do its best to electrocute you, the decibells of ours before it died rivalled concorde's maiden take-off from Filton......
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish I'd known about this tube before I started. I must have spent at least 50 euros on various sealants, fire gum, exhaust repair paste and fire resistant paint, etc on the old push fit chimney trying to cure the leaks. The stuff that comes out through the joints will eat through anything.
Even fitting the tubes "upside down" using an adapter so that the female ends were facing up did not make a bit of difference.
The residue is also mainly caused by the difference in flue temperature, the double skin helps to eliminate this.
Where the pipe runs through a brick flue insulate it with Vermicalite.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: log burning stove

You mean one of these!
Attached Thumbnails log burning stove-lourdes-007.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about insulating your chimney - just run it up the inside of your house and out through the roof. There is so much heat going up the chimney that we heat our upstairs solely from the excess chimney heat. Honestly, they get so hot that it should be criminal to direct them straight outside through the wall. Make use of that heat instead of wasting it.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:26 am
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Do Not BUY A cheap stove as you will regret it...JOTUL and Morso are about the best.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
You mean one of these!
That flue is leaning to the right John. ;-))
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:34 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
You mean it reads the Daily Mail
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Cleri
You mean it reads the Daily Mail
Maybe it was lit with it. ;-)
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
What do you mean I voted for Obama
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by earlswoody
Do Not BUY A cheap stove as you will regret it...JOTUL and Morso are about the best.
Jotul are very good indeed my sister and brother in law have fitted them in the last 3 houses they have had in deepest Wales and boy are they warm but they are not cheap. Ours is a cheaper one but the infrastructure is ready for refit with the best if that becomes necessay.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:06 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Jotul are very good indeed my sister and brother in law have fitted them in the last 3 houses they have had in deepest Wales and boy are they warm but they are not cheap. Ours is a cheaper one but the infrastructure is ready for refit with the best if that becomes necessay.
The ones that burn smokless pellets. The adjustable flow rate dropped out of the hopper controls the heat and they dont need a flu just a vent to any outside wall are supposed to be good going by the free porky paper
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

You mean one of these!
That's the one John.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.