Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain - the good things!

Living in Spain - the good things!

Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:58 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain - the good things!

Having nearly wet myself on reading about an ignore list on a well-moderated forum for adults, I want to get back to the good things about Spain. My car insurance and broadband charges were reduced today, without me asking; the sun has been shining all day and Roxy won the auction.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:07 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the sun is finaly starting to do its' job here and about time too, 18ºC preicted for tomorrow, may be even tempted to wear a T-shirt to the gym.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:16 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lushdaddy;8424778]Thanks, I like that more than just binman.

You still wrote it down though, that's what it means and that's what you wrote. As for swooping to Africa, we weren't on the topic of Africa so why would you bring it up? Africa has nothing to do with this.
No you may not be in the super dictator league but they all started somewhere. Maybe on forums, who knows..

Do you ever read what you post, and have you ever thought of seeking medical help?????????
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Do you ever read what you post, and have you ever thought of seeking medical help?????????
No idea what he's on about now, but sounds like the very reason I gave up on him, he makes no sense.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:41 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=JLFS;8425287]
Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Thanks, I like that more than just binman.

You still wrote it down though, that's what it means and that's what you wrote. As for swooping to Africa, we weren't on the topic of Africa so why would you bring it up? Africa has nothing to do with this.
No you may not be in the super dictator league but they all started somewhere. Maybe on forums, who knows..

For having an opinion..?? Nope, you don't need medical help for that.
I think you should look at what I quoted you as saying.. Dude, you wrote those words. You actually wrote them down..
"please lets not have any Id rather be skint in the sun comments"
That's what you wrote..
Whatever man.. It's boring..

This thread's starting to repeat itself and it's getting to bickering stage.
I'm on here to be friendly with Spain and ex pats and all other people. Sorry if what I say gets on your nerves, I don't mean it to. I only go off what people say and what I know. Please post a pm to me if you want to say anything else as other people will get annoyed by me keep going on. ( I can't keep replying when it's off topic soooo much). Thanks..
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:00 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, this quite interesting thread has turned into a slanging match What a shame.

Regarding the comments about not getting any help when returning to the UK.

If you intend to claim State benefits as soon as you get there then you have to pass the Habitual Residency Test (anyone coming from abroad does). You have to demonstrate that the UK is to be your home for the forseeable future and that you have not just come to claim Benefits. This can be evidenced by a tenancy/mortgage agreement, or a letter from someone you are staying with, a Bank Account, registration with a Dr, registering on the electoral roll, a job offer etc.

If you have genuinely come to stay it should be easy enough to prove it.

Another reason you may not get means-tested Benefits is if you fail the means-test. If you have capital over £16k you will not get any m-t Benefits. The value of a house abroad will be counted as capital (because you could either live in it, rent it out or sell it -allegedly).

I became UK resident again last year and as I didn't need to claim any Benefits all I had to do was register with a Dr and carry on with my life. (We are still in Spain for half the year though).
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Oh dear, this quite interesting thread has turned into a slanging match What a shame.

Regarding the comments about not getting any help when returning to the UK.

If you intend to claim State benefits as soon as you get there then you have to pass the Habitual Residency Test (anyone coming from abroad does). You have to demonstrate that the UK is to be your home for the forseeable future and that you have not just come to claim Benefits. This can be evidenced by a tenancy/mortgage agreement, or a letter from someone you are staying with, a Bank Account, registration with a Dr, registering on the electoral roll, a job offer etc.

If you have genuinely come to stay it should be easy enough to prove it.

Another reason you may not get means-tested Benefits is if you fail the means-test. If you have capital over £16k you will not get any m-t Benefits. The value of a house abroad will be counted as capital (because you could either live in it, rent it out or sell it -allegedly).

I became UK resident again last year and as I didn't need to claim any Benefits all I had to do was register with a Dr and carry on with my life. (We are still in Spain for half the year though).
A very helpful post, for those needing to know this information, there is help out there for those in real need.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:48 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say, I think they may disregard the house for a certain time it if it is for sale.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I have a specific, recent example of what happens when you return to the UK. This couple, in their middle-fifties, had sold up in the UK and bought a small property in Andalucia where they lived happily for five years. Their income consisted of two small occupational pensions, they had low outgoings, and lived within their means.

One reason for emigrating was the husband’s illness, something that worsened during their stay in Spain, and when the pound fell, they could no longer afford the extra cost of medication.

They returned to the town they had come from in the UK and initially lived with one of the adult children, having put their house up for sale in Spain. Being respectable people they reported to the authorities.

Within a few weeks they rented a house similar to the one they had sold, with housing benefit, the husband got the allowances connected with his considerable illness, and the wife found a part time job.

Their house in Spain hasn’t sold and probably never will because of all the problems on the CDS (nothing to do with their small asking price), but they are financially much better off in the UK, although they miss their five years in the sun.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:26 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by HBG
I have a specific, recent example of what happens when you return to the UK. This couple, in their middle-fifties, had sold up in the UK and bought a small property in Andalucia where they lived happily for five years. Their income consisted of two small occupational pensions, they had low outgoings, and lived within their means.

One reason for emigrating was the husband’s illness, something that worsened during their stay in Spain, and when the pound fell, they could no longer afford the extra cost of medication.

They returned to the town they had come from in the UK and initially lived with one of the adult children, having put their house up for sale in Spain. Being respectable people they reported to the authorities.

Within a few weeks they rented a house similar to the one they had sold, with housing benefit, the husband got the allowances connected with his considerable illness, and the wife found a part time job.

Their house in Spain hasn’t sold and probably never will because of all the problems on the CDS (nothing to do with their small asking price), but they are financially much better off in the UK, although they miss their five years in the sun.
Yes, I too have heard of several people like this.

You can just imagine going back to most other countries and being helped like that. (Or finding a part-time job!).

I DO also know someone who has failed the Habitual Residency Test and been given nothing (although I can understand why the DWP came to this decision in his case). But even he will be eligible for Benefits once he has been in the UK for six months.

Last edited by scampicat; Mar 17th 2010 at 8:32 am.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
but they are financially much better off in the UK, although they miss their five years in the sun.
I think that example is typical of many, whilst they enjoyed their life in Spain, financially it turned out to be a disaster. In another forum I read, this week someone is telling a very similar story, jobs have gone, no money coming in, and much as they love their life in Spain they are having to return to UK. As others have pointed out, they are "lucky" in a way to have this safety net, to be able to head back to UK because there is no doubt if you are poor, the UK is one of the better places to be. The UK has it's usual detractors here of course, everything is so much better in Spain etc, but both countries do some things better than the other, both do some things worse. Perhaps Spain with a UK style benefits system would be the ideal world?????? Or UK with Spain's weather???? As I have always said, those with sufficient funds, with no need of benefits, will probably be enjoying their life in Spain anyway.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
I think that example is typical of many, whilst they enjoyed their life in Spain, financially it turned out to be a disaster. In another forum I read, this week someone is telling a very similar story, jobs have gone, no money coming in, and much as they love their life in Spain they are having to return to UK. As others have pointed out, they are "lucky" in a way to have this safety net, to be able to head back to UK because there is no doubt if you are poor, the UK is one of the better places to be. The UK has it's usual detractors here of course, everything is so much better in Spain etc, but both countries do some things better than the other, both do some things worse. Perhaps Spain with a UK style benefits system would be the ideal world?????? Or UK with Spain's weather???? As I have always said, those with sufficient funds, with no need of benefits, will probably be enjoying their life in Spain anyway.
Great post, that is what have been saying, having the UK as a safety net is a great plan B, if or when things go wrong in other countries. And as you say no country is perfect, but you pay your money and take your choice.

nioce one.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:45 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a bit off-topic, but, as this has already been discussed on the thread I thought i'd ask - re. Spanish Benefits, is there such a thing as sickness or long-term incapacity benefit here?

Our neighbour has a grown-up son & daughter who both have a mental illness and are unable to work. The old man (in his late 70's!) seems to work all hours on the fields to provide for the family (plus a small pension from Germany from when he worked there).

There is also a 16 year old grandaughter who has recently had a baby of her own and who lives with her boyfriend in a nearby town. Neither of them work and apparently boyfriend's dole is coming to an end - so the old man has been going to see them, giving them money and buying groceries etc.

Is there no welfare provision at all for them? God knows what'll happen when Rafael can no longer work or is no longer around!!!

Back on topic - our neighbour is wonderful and kind & is always bringing us fruit & veggies & enormous slices of Jamon
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:02 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by lunacrout
I know this is a bit off-topic, but, as this has already been discussed on the thread I thought i'd ask - re. Spanish Benefits, is there such a thing as sickness or long-term incapacity benefit here?

Our neighbour has a grown-up son & daughter who both have a mental illness and are unable to work. The old man (in his late 70's!) seems to work all hours on the fields to provide for the family (plus a small pension from Germany from when he worked there).

There is also a 16 year old grandaughter who has recently had a baby of her own and who lives with her boyfriend in a nearby town. Neither of them work and apparently boyfriend's dole is coming to an end - so the old man has been going to see them, giving them money and buying groceries etc.

Is there no welfare provision at all for them? God knows what'll happen when Rafael can no longer work or is no longer around!!!

Back on topic - our neighbour is wonderful and kind & is always bringing us fruit & veggies & enormous slices of Jamon
I believe there is, because a man in the village got it because of his ulcerated legs, but how you qualify for it I don't know.

He had to go to an appeal, I do know that, (he is one of the few who speaks English so he told me himself, he said he had 'hired a good liar' - he meant lawyer, ), but he is in receipt of it now.

So, the answer to that question is yes.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the title of this thread is "Living in Spain-the good things" and we have ended up talking about benefits!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.