Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain - the good things!

Living in Spain - the good things!

Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Youcancallmeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Spain - the good things!

Afternoon all.

Little did I know when I started this thread that I was also starting a vegetable war.

Wifey and I were looking at flights this morning Luton to Malaga with ezJ during April. Any way I recon if we fill up a couple of cases with parsnips, bread and earl grey tea, flog em down the market it should pay for the trip.

Not sure what I can do about my ugliness but I think I have a decent sense of humour. Will be bringing own crumpet (wifey) who is a beautiful English rose! Lo siento senoritas, I know many of you are mucha hermosa, but I will stick with my English rose.

Anyway thanks to all who have posted so far. Much of the info is useful or funny.

You can call me Al.

Last edited by Youcancallmeal; Mar 11th 2010 at 12:06 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

pip001 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello al
pip here we are looking at trying to grow lots of things out here as well as gaz will miss her parsnips as well but from what i have seen of our garden i am sure we will be ok
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Double agreed! I bet if he had been working for you and spent as much time as he does googling and posting, he'd have been sacked long ago!

Only El Jefe is allowed to waste time on forums in this office
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:59 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why am I here...maybe because I like it, warts and all. I just counteract people spewing statements like there are no yobs in Spain, you can live well on a pittance and many more which are totally unrealistic.

Of course all spanish women aren't fat (the ones from Madrid etc. are quite elegant). Andalucian women are shorter and more inclined to put it on, it's the Moorish genes. Neither are all British youths yobs.

It is clearly evident that many posters on here don't read or watch spanish news. Either that or they prefer to supress what they know
Nobody has said there are no yobs in Spain that I recall, the point was made that the problem of yobs in the U.K. is worse. Fact.
You CAN live better here on less money than the U.K. Fact.
You did say 'Spanish women' you did generalize. (We are all guilty from time to time but I'm just proving a point). Fact.

You do tend to get things wrong when they are right in front of you. 100 tons of cocaine. Fact.
I do not believe I personally said that ALL British youths are yobs. Just a lot of them when they congregate in city centres and parks.
I'm done now, I know what I know and I know what's what. So there.
It isn't an argument or an attack either, I like people to disagree or it would be boring. People wouldn't exchange opinions or learn anything. I've still seen no proof that the wildlife was shot either.
What a FACTING nuisance I am..
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:05 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agoreira
Érase una vez................ y vivieron felices y comieron perdices.
Great reply?
You want the truth.??
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH...!!!
SPAIN IS LUSH..!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:56 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by HBG
Look, don’t keep writing stuff like that, there’s enough expats going home without you starting. And it’s not as bad as all that, I’ve just been down to the basura bin and there’s plenty of wildlife left, there’s rats everywhere. And I’ve seen some lovely graffiti on the way back. And I like fat women.
Sorry, I'll try to be more positive about Spain in the future. And how the hell do you quote more than one person in a reply, I'm no computer whizz kid and keep having to put single replies on.
P.S. Those rats down our way would've been eaten by all the cats. We even have our own wildlife hygiene system. Pest control at its best.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:51 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The cats round my way seem to have smoked the peace pipe with the rats, but a pair of new saviours have appeared. Just before nightfall, a large Falcon appears in the sky, it’s lightning fast and circles the basura bin. I think it’s a Peregrine, but they’re pretty rare, aren’t they?

Then, after dark, an owl the size of an eagle starts making its rounds in silence. That’s when I panic and bring the little dog indoors. The owl has even swopped on the Dobe and he jumps as high as he can to try and catch it.

But what really keeps the rats down is the Russian guy (he pretends he’s Finnish), who lives opposite the basura bin. I caught him on his wall once, firing a pistol at the bin. He showed it to me and said it was an air pistol. With a silencer?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HBG
The cats round my way seem to have smoked the peace pipe with the rats, but a pair of new saviours have appeared. Just before nightfall, a large Falcon appears in the sky, it’s lightning fast and circles the basura bin. I think it’s a Peregrine, but they’re pretty rare, aren’t they?

Then, after dark, an owl the size of an eagle starts making its rounds in silence. That’s when I panic and bring the little dog indoors. The owl has even swopped on the Dobe and he jumps as high as he can to try and catch it.

But what really keeps the rats down is the Russian guy (he pretends he’s Finnish), who lives opposite the basura bin. I caught him on his wall once, firing a pistol at the bin. He showed it to me and said it was an air pistol. With a silencer?
What other country could do daily rubbish collection and throw in the evenings entertainment for free ?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Youcancallmeal is an unknown quantity at this point

She (vet nurse, worked on farm for 30 years ) who know more than me says
" cats are not much good for adult rats, they will catch the small ones or babies, Jack Russell or German Shepherd Dog are good." Old GSD of wifey caught 100 rats in 1 day when they turned over an old hay stack.

You can call me Al.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I’m neutral on this. I watched the Spanish news this morning, as I do every morning, and there was a couple from Andalucia walking around their house up to their knees in mud. Then there were scenes of snow in Majorca and Barcelona and I got depressed and switched it off. I tried La Sexta but that was in English.

It was nice to see Prince Felipe in Chile. Now there’s a tall Spaniard, didn’t the family escape when the Moors were around? But to be honest, the Moors were here for 300 years, they must have left something behind, surely? Imagine if the Germans had been in the UK for 300 years – we’d all have blue eyes.
That would not have been too bad, it is the little tooth brush mustache that would be a bummer......
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:54 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by Youcancallmeal
She (vet nurse, worked on farm for 30 years ) who know more than me says
" cats are not much good for adult rats, they will catch the small ones or babies, Jack Russell or German Shepherd Dog are good." Old GSD of wifey caught 100 rats in 1 day when they turned over an old hay stack.

You can call me Al.
I am only presuming that there are no rats near our bins. I have never seen any but there are shed loads of cats. There are a few Eagle type things and falcons that fly over so maybe they catch some. Unforunately we have no Russians with pistols either so I hail the cat. Mind you, they get on my nerves. I left my door open one day as it was sooo hot and went out.. (Unbelievable that I went out with the door open and nothing was gone when I came back over 3 hours later, I couldn't do that in the U.K.).
A great pesky cat had roamed in and was tucking into my chicken.. The other time I left my door open and went out. (I don't do it on a regular basis but I can if I want) another great pesky cat had got in and got stuck up the chimney. We didn't find it until the day after though and we awoke to the sound of unpleasant cat howls to find our drapes coverd in cat paw prints of soot where it had climbed right up them. Little git.
Naughty cat, better than a rat though..
Smiley's rock..
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:56 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip001
hello al
pip here we are looking at trying to grow lots of things out here as well as gaz will miss her parsnips as well but from what i have seen of our garden i am sure we will be ok
Parsnips grow very well where we are, the soil is very sandy. They come out a bit deformed, but it doesn't seem to affect the taste.

Rats, those snappy plastic traps with a smear of peanut butter on the bait lever does the biz in record time.

Our rats are VERY arboreal here, so I am planning trapping stations in the fig trees this year as last year the rats got more than I did.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
What other country could do daily rubbish collection and throw in the evenings entertainment for free ?
It’s not just in the evenings. When I walked past the basura this lunchtime,. there was an organ placed next to it. I had a look and I was tempted. It had all the keys, two rows of them, and foot pedals at the bottom. It looked a bit tatty but could have been cleaned up.

I was tempted to try it, but then I saw the electric plug and didn’t bother.

Needless to say, when I walked past an hour later, it was gone.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s not just in the evenings. When I walked past the basura this lunchtime,. there was an organ placed next to it. I had a look and I was tempted. It had all the keys, two rows of them, and foot pedals at the bottom. It looked a bit tatty but could have been cleaned up.

I was tempted to try it, but then I saw the electric plug and didn’t bother.

Needless to say, when I walked past an hour later, it was gone.
They must be huge to do that!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
They must be huge to do that!
Well there was a beat up old guitar walked off from my local basura last week, so I imagine they're trying to get a band together,..rats on tour, appearing at your local basura tonight and every night.

This time of the year especially when its wet, they move up into the top of the orange trees and indulge themselves on whats left,...not much left on the lower branches,..the local sheep flock always make short work of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.