Reload this Page >

living in marbella

living in marbella

Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:53 am
Just Joined

lisaadele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in marbella

Hey there,
Have just moved to marbella for the first time and have a job in the centre working as an English teacher. Im currently living in the av.las palmeras area,about a 15 min walk from the centre. Ive now been told its not the best place to live as there were real problems in this area with crime about 15-20yrs ago,apparently its better now but im still concerned.
Can any marbella locals give me some good feedback about my area,best places for nightlife and meeting others and cheaper gyms. I was also thinking about getting a job at a local irish bar for extra money but mainly to meet other people. However,im slightly concerned about how much I'll get taxed for having two jobs although as most bar jobs are cash in hand maybe that won't be too much of a problem.
Can anyone give me a heads up??
cheers guys
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in marbella

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Do you mean Calle Las Palmeras, just up from the Copper Tower toward the bus station on the right hand side? If so then yes, it used to have quite a reputation (mainly for housing quite a few prostitutes) but that was some time ago. That area is OK now as far as I know, the worst part of Marbella is over on the East side by the feria ground.

The best place for nightlife in town is the Puerto Deportivo, everyone goes there nowadays and it's been full with people all year (not just summer). As to gyms, there's a cheap one just opposite Beckitts called Gimnasio Nueva Área, sea views too! There's also the option of the many Beach Fit type courses that are being run currently, they sound pretty cheap and are a great way to meet people – although running flat out up and down the beach in this heat sounds like madness to me.

Job in a bar sounds like it might have been ok over the summer but things are calming down now. If it's cash you're likely to get rumbled at some point, I've lost count of the times where I've been sat in a place and a member of staff has been chatted to by a normal looking guy that just walks in and sits down - after a few minutes it dawns on them that they're from the Town Hall but by then it's too late. Can't see it being worth it, especially when you already have a job, but each to their own!

Check out some of the networking groups here, TweetMarbella for example, they're a great place to meet new people from a both business and personal perspective and it really pays to try and make an effort. Our intern from last year returned here a few months ago, she found a full time, contract job within a few weeks thanks to the connections she’d made.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Do you mean Calle Las Palmeras, just up from the Copper Tower toward the bus station on the right hand side? If so then yes, it used to have quite a reputation (mainly for housing quite a few prostitutes) but that was some time ago. That area is OK now as far as I know, the worst part of Marbella is over on the East side by the feria ground.

The best place for nightlife in town is the Puerto Deportivo, everyone goes there nowadays and it's been full with people all year (not just summer). As to gyms, there's a cheap one just opposite Beckitts called Gimnasio Nueva Área, sea views too! There's also the option of the many Beach Fit type courses that are being run currently, they sound pretty cheap and are a great way to meet people – although running flat out up and down the beach in this heat sounds like madness to me.

Job in a bar sounds like it might have been ok over the summer but things are calming down now. If it's cash you're likely to get rumbled at some point, I've lost count of the times where I've been sat in a place and a member of staff has been chatted to by a normal looking guy that just walks in and sits down - after a few minutes it dawns on them that they're from the Town Hall but by then it's too late. Can't see it being worth it, especially when you already have a job, but each to their own!

Check out some of the networking groups here, TweetMarbella for example, they're a great place to meet new people from a both business and personal perspective and it really pays to try and make an effort. Our intern from last year returned here a few months ago, she found a full time, contract job within a few weeks thanks to the connections she’d made.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Great advice,best so far shinyandy!thanks so much.You've obviously lived here quite a while. I have to say,I quite like my area,apart from the walk up the hill,early days though I guess!
I've seen the beachfit and it looks like fun,I might do it but I'll also check out that other gym,i wonder if it does classes as thats what interests me more,i get bored with just running on a treadmill!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Great advice,best so far shinyandy!thanks so much.You've obviously lived here quite a while. I have to say,I quite like my area,apart from the walk up the hill,early days though I guess!
I've seen the beachfit and it looks like fun,I might do it but I'll also check out that other gym,i wonder if it does classes as thats what interests me more,i get bored with just running on a treadmill!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Have lived here for 6 1/2 years or so I guess now - time flies!! Used to live down on Ricardo Soriano and was out all the time but now have had to grow up a tiny little bit with the addition of a little one (he goes to the nursery just opposite where you are) and moved up the hill from El Corte Ingles a bit!

The port has been transformed over the last year or so, it used to be pretty tragic and only a handful of bars so everyone would tend to stick to the old town and a few bars near the Marbella Cafe. Now you can get down to the port for some sundowners and then stay as late as you like, there's even some decent places to eat. You can then move onto the Buddha club which is where the Dali statues are, or for something a little less frantic there are a few places near where that gym is (Franks Corner is great for example).

If you fancy something a little different when it comes to gyms then check out Look Your Best Marbella on Facebook (they're in Banus though), you can even win a free trial session. Been doing it for a month now and it's crazy but results are fantastic!!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Ah fab,I know where that nursery is,its bilingual right?
Im just trying to picture where el corte ingles is actually. Its a shame that gym is in banus as although buses are good it still seems a bit far when u havent got a car!
do you have a group of mates now that you go out with?are they expats or spa nish?ive met a few people so far and have been to the puerto deportivo and buddha.all good so far..
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Yup, bright pink and green.. can't miss it!

ECI is where the big copper tower is if you were to walk toward Banus, 10 mins from you.

We have a decent group of people that we've acquired over the years I guess, mainly through work though and mainly expat. Tend to just go down for a drink anyway and then bump into the same old crowd so never really plan anything. It's a nice feeling, makes you feel like you belong somewhere!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:06 am
Just Joined

well thats great,its nice to hear someone is settled and enjoying life here!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

You can read more about Marbella here: Attractions in Marbella
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyx
You can read more about Marbella here
As long as English isn't your first language and you're just coming for a weeks holiday maybe!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 11:40 am
Just Joined

cabbrighton is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: living in marbella

Shiny Andy, where do I find TweetMarbella on here please? I am new to these forums and don't know where to find it. Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

It's not on here, just type it into Google and you'll find links to it