Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in isolation ????

Living in isolation ????

Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in isolation ????

P.S. Can´t wait for the American elections. Brilliant fun.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:57 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
P.S. Can´t wait for the American elections. Brilliant fun.
ooh when is that? (sorry) Can Bush be voted in for another term or is he only allowed 2, I hope he goes.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:03 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
ooh when is that? (sorry) Can Bush be voted in for another term or is he only allowed 2, I hope he goes.
No, HE'S OUT!!!!!!!!!!! Adios, cabron, hijoputaaaaaaa!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

afega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really nice

I think he will come to Spain after elections for a tour of conferences.. jajajajajaja
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:09 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
Unfortunately, his little texan friend's party looks like it'll be back in in spain.

Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I think PL would be proud of the ironic twist this thread has taken!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:21 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Sorry, I love it. I want to know what is going on in the world around me and I am a political animal. Would hate to be cut off and I am intelligent enough to know what is garbage or not. Mind you there is a lot of the latter at the end of the road today being blown around in the Levante! I have just written my first complaint letter to Sevillana in Spanish. Wonder if I will get a reply!
Well I get caught up in it as well, but don't you think it is really an awful waste of time ??? Do we ever really know what is going on in the world of politics ?? Hell we do... I remember my mother in her seventies getting very animated about goings on.....she was so far removed and couldn't have any effect on what she was concerned with. Then I suppose they would get away with even more if they weren't being watched closely.
My point is that we spend two weeks away, not caring what was happening, and actually not very much has really changed in that time. Here at home it's let's have the news every night at 10, and I am beginning to wonder why.
Let's just have a precis of the previous five or so years just before election time so we know who to vote for.......and even that will be manipulated.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:22 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by poollounger
Well there is more than one way of taking an interest in the world around you.
Does not watching or caring about Big Brother denote a lack of interest in the world about you ?? Or the minutiae of the happenings in the various political parties ?? For two weeks I was mainly engrossed in the soil of my garden, the local food, the feeding habits of the owl who swooped on my neighbours gheckos. Do we really need to be continously updated with news reports ?? Leave ourselves open to the manipulation of advertisers??
I lived quite happily without the internet or television or radio or newspapers for a fortnight, and could have kept going for longer. I focused on different aspects of life. I am not proposing we all become total recluses and become hermits in a cave.. therein lies madness... but wonder how much we can do without. Weaning myself off BE forum, or rationing myself to dipping in once a week is my next objective...
especially as most news reports are so focused on whats happening in the Capital anyway!if you don't live in London most of its not relevant
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well I get caught up in it as well, but don't you think it is really an awful waste of time ??? Do we ever really know what is going on in the world of politics ?? Hell we do... I remember my mother in her seventies getting very animated about goings on.....she was so far removed and couldn't have any effect on what she was concerned with. Then I suppose they would get away with even more if they weren't being watched closely.
My point is that we spend two weeks away, not caring what was happening, and actually not very much has really changed in that time. Here at home it's let's have the news every night at 10, and I am beginning to wonder why.
Let's just have a precis of the previous five or so years just before election time so we know who to vote for.......and even that will be manipulated.
Good for your Mother....remember it was only a short time ago that women got the vote and prior to that only land owning men. I also remember that it was only in the sixties (think I have got that right) that women were allowed to vote in Switzerland.

Mind you if I hear one more report about Posh & Becks arriving in Los Angeles I won´t be responsible for my actions!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Also Poollounger, I can understand you wanting to get away and communicate with nature for a couple of weeks but when you live here you do miss things like the theatre (okay so we have Chiclana theatre but NOT quite the same as the West End or equivalent), exhibitions, concerts, and of course SHOPPING!!!!!! Of course the best thing would be if you had the money to just jump on a plane and like a junkie "get your fix" but unfortunately it´s not that easy when on a fixed income. On a personal basis I would love to go back to the UK for a two or three months a year and have a job and then I believe I would appreciate more the "retirement life" I have here.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:40 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Chiclanagir I do appreciate your sentiments....however back in London it takes almost an entire week to acclimatise and readjust. As I am not working very much over the summer not having a job to head for every day makes matters worse, but then it does make me question my existence here in the capital. My OP was mainly thinking out loud, but as I said before, anyone leading a 'semi dropout' existence is unlikely to be reading or posting on a forum.
I do still think that we often fill our lives with trivia fed from the media. I know one cannot bury one's head in the sand, and Chiclana politics would probably impose at some time or another, but two weeks without trivia was bliss. As to Posh and Becks.. that is a triumph of marketing over content.
He may be a talented footballer, but she got lucky otherwise would probably have got no further than summer seasons, panto and possibly a cruise ship.
Good luck to them....what I find sad is the many young women who see her as a role model.
I look forward to the day when the gardening is almost done and I can explore the theatres, festivals in Granada, the cities of Cordoba and Toledo.
Have you eaten at Bolandros in Cadiz ?? superb....and the atmosphere and food of the Las Vinyas district ?? Go!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir I do appreciate your sentiments....however back in London it takes almost an entire week to acclimatise and readjust. As I am not working very much over the summer not having a job to head for every day makes matters worse, but then it does make me question my existence here in the capital. My OP was mainly thinking out loud, but as I said before, anyone leading a 'semi dropout' existence is unlikely to be reading or posting on a forum.
I do still think that we often fill our lives with trivia fed from the media. I know one cannot bury one's head in the sand, and Chiclana politics would probably impose at some time or another, but two weeks without trivia was bliss. As to Posh and Becks.. that is a triumph of marketing over content.
He may be a talented footballer, but she got lucky otherwise would probably have got no further than summer seasons, panto and possibly a cruise ship.
Good luck to them....what I find sad is the many young women who see her as a role model.
I look forward to the day when the gardening is almost done and I can explore the theatres, festivals in Granada, the cities of Cordoba and Toledo.
Have you eaten at Bolandros in Cadiz ?? superb....and the atmosphere and food of the Las Vinyas district ?? Go!!
Where are these? More details plse? Also the one in old Sancti Petri which I keep forgetting to write down and it goes out of my head. Can you email me so as not to bore everyone here.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:20 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got back from Spain on Monday night....17 glorious days, temperatures sometimes in the mid thirties, and even the strong Levante that blew for two and a half days couldn't spoil it... we just found a cove beneath some cliffs and were well protected.
The I logged on to BE and amidst all the useful info and discussion was all the usual moaning and groaning. Now we don't have a TV in Spain, never buy the English papers. Apart from our Spanish neighbout telling us about the controlled explosions in London and the very wet weather we ignore what's happening at home. Never even knew that GB was the new PM until the last day talking to some Swedes on the beach.
Can one sustain this long term if one is living over in Spain?? Would it make everyone happier and less moany ???
not in spain but the question posed remains the same anywhere I suppose ...

the locals here in their majority are COMPLETELY unaware of any facts of the outside world. Although they receive cable TV the only channels watched are the local SVG channel - which solely relates to news here, or BET for the hip hop music.

oh did a test and sent a fun quiz to his staff during christmas last year as the company is doing a "worldwide info" training programme - and not a single one out of over 100 of his staff knew who the British Prime minister was, could pinpoint more than 7 countries on a world map, nobody knew what the holocaust was or Hitler, etc etc

it was truly shocking as to their lack of knowledge of anything that goes on outside these small islands. They are only interested in what phone they can get, etcetc

and do they whinge and moan ..... god YES!! if you think the brits are bad you have no idea, they all hate their neighbours, the shopkeepers, the tourists, the boat skippers and the list goes on!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right of most places I have been too. ;-))
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandmom
not in spain but the question posed remains the same anywhere I suppose ...

the locals here in their majority are COMPLETELY unaware of any facts of the outside world. Although they receive cable TV the only channels watched are the local SVG channel - which solely relates to news here, or BET for the hip hop music.

oh did a test and sent a fun quiz to his staff during christmas last year as the company is doing a "worldwide info" training programme - and not a single one out of over 100 of his staff knew who the British Prime minister was, could pinpoint more than 7 countries on a world map, nobody knew what the holocaust was or Hitler, etc etc

it was truly shocking as to their lack of knowledge of anything that goes on outside these small islands. They are only interested in what phone they can get, etcetc

and do they whinge and moan ..... god YES!! if you think the brits are bad you have no idea, they all hate their neighbours, the shopkeepers, the tourists, the boat skippers and the list goes on!
Very interesting. I understand that the majority of Americans do not have a passport and are very limited in their knowledge of world events. "Blinkered" comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.