Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in isolation ????

Living in isolation ????

Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:13 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in isolation ????

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Think the OP was more talking about isolating oneself from the greater world, not just being isolated.

I was isolated from the greater world, I had no electricty, internet, phone, newspapers, sometimes no car...pretty isolated from outside world
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:14 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
I was isolated from the greater world, I had no electricty, internet, phone, newspapers, sometimes no car...pretty isolated from outside world
Yeah OK.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:17 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Not surprised your name is glad 2 b back then!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:18 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?

Can't imagine that wasn't self-imposed if it were the case. Unless of course you're Alan Johnstone?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Lochy
Not surprised your name is glad 2 b back then!
It did get quite boring and it did mess up my mental health. I was always stressed out to the limit.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:19 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

It did get quite boring and it did mess up my mental health. I was always stressed out to the limit.
but was that after a certain period of time - was it ok for a while?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Seriously?

Can't imagine that wasn't self-imposed if it were the case. Unless of course you're Alan Johnstone?
No it wasn't self imposed, when we moved there we were told that there was electricity and shown underground cables to prove it!, then we noticed a telephone cable 50 metres away so thought no probs, called out telefonica they wouldn't connect as that line was for the 'outside' huh! never could undertand that one especially as my spanish neighbour had a landline.

I can't drive yet, so when OH was working I was stuck unless I ventured out to walk along the death trap road, which was quite scary and sometimes we had a lot of car trouble... a lot, my oh used to say we were the griswalds, I just put it down to plain old murphys law.

But then people think living in the country being at one with nature is so idylic, and it is for a while..I just found it boring in the end.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Lochy
but was that after a certain period of time - was it ok for a while?
we had a lot of ups and downs, sometimes I'd be on top of the world, loving it, country walks etc at other times I'd be in deep despair.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:25 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

No it wasn't self imposed, when we moved there we were told that there was electricity and shown underground cables to prove it!, then we noticed a telephone cable 50 metres away so thought no probs, called out telefonica they wouldn't connect as that line was for the 'outside' huh! never could undertand that one especially as my spanish neighbour had a landline.

I can't drive yet, so when OH was working I was stuck unless I ventured out to walk along the death trap road, which was quite scary and sometimes we had a lot of car trouble... a lot, my oh used to say we were the griswalds, I just put it down to plain old murphys law.

But then people think living in the country being at one with nature is so idylic, and it is for a while..I just found it boring in the end.
Research, research, research!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:26 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't agree more............oh wait, its you.........................I don't agree!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:28 am

I did plenty of that, I had already been living in Spain for 3 years before moving inland and had visited the area tons of times. We had friends who lived out there, who incidentely have left.

In the end it was fine, rd access is great, train nearby, electric connected, internet connected, At that stage I had just had enough.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:29 am
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
couldn't agree more............oh wait, its you.........................I don't agree!

Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:52 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Ok one last reply then I am getting off here. I didn't mean isolation, as Rugby correctly says...just not being so involved with the minutiae of the news channels and popular television etc. After all how many of the British population really know what is going on in politics and the greater world??
They just get manipulated all the time. My semi-ignorance of the last two weeks was a welcome relief.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:00 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by poollounger
Ok one last reply then I am getting off here. I didn't mean isolation, as Rugby correctly says...just not being so involved with the minutiae of the news channels and popular television etc. After all how many of the British population really know what is going on in politics and the greater world??
They just get manipulated all the time. My semi-ignorance of the last two weeks was a welcome relief.
I know just how you feel, every now and then I just don't have any contact at all with any news/currant affairs.

It gets me down sometimes, and I am the worse for hating consumerism.

Basically PL, if you don't want to be drawn into the whole ball game then just don't be, simple as.

You will be a better man for it in my opinion.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Sorry, I love it. I want to know what is going on in the world around me and I am a political animal. Would hate to be cut off and I am intelligent enough to know what is garbage or not. Mind you there is a lot of the latter at the end of the road today being blown around in the Levante! I have just written my first complaint letter to Sevillana in Spanish. Wonder if I will get a reply!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.