Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Live in Spain, work for UK remotely

Live in Spain, work for UK remotely

Old Dec 27th 2015, 7:59 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live in Spain, work for UK remotely

I'm well aware about health care I would happily pay for private care that's why I've not mentioned that much
But once you live here you may not have any choice, just like all the other counties in the EU.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Edge2247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks all again I have now spent some time on this Subject
And as far as I can see once you are living in Spain for excess of 184 days you must pay Spanish income tax which you can offset against your UK tax bill

After 184 days you become a Spanish resident

These are the tax rates I can find
Euros: 20%
6,000 - 50,000 Euros: 22%
24,000 + Euros: 24%

Non-residents: 20%

I shall call a Spanish tax advisor over the next few days

QUOTE=Casa Santo Estevo;11822167]But once you live here you may not have any choice, just like all the other counties in the EU.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Moving on to my second concern before moving

My daughter is 3 at the moment and will be 4 in September so she will be 4 when we arrive in Spain if all goes to plan

I was of the opinion of putting here in private school from the age of 5
So for the first year I was considering using private nursery
Has anyone been in this situation ? What did you do ??? How did it go ??

I'm just trying to get a general feel of it also I'm trying to avoid mistakes and surprises
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that and I have know spent a couple of hours on this and the information you have me is correct

I will call a Spanish tax advisor as its not so straight forward as I run/ own a ltd company also

Many many thanks for your help

QUOTE=Fred James;11822060]The tax rules are similar in most countries. If you are tax resident in country A, you pay tax in country A on your world wide income. If that income arises in country B you also pay tax on that income in country B even if you are not tax resident in country B.

Clearly it would be unfair to pay tax twice on the same income, so if you are in this situation, you will pay tax in country A on the income from country B, but you will be able to deduct the tax paid in country B from the tax paid in country A.

That's a bit simplistic, I know, and there may well be exceptions built into any tax treaties between country A and country B, but that is the essence of it.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 28th 2015, 6:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edge2247
These are the tax rates I can find
Euros: 20%
6,000 - 50,000 Euros: 22%
24,000 + Euros: 24%

Non-residents: 20%
Those are CGT rates. You can find the income tax rates and allowances here

Spanish tax rates and allowances for 2015.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 11:32 am
Just Joined

el_fary is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, i still haven't sorted my situation out. The main question i have is

If i have private healthcare insurance in Spain. Do i still need to pay into the social security system in Spain?

Is it absolutely required no exceptions?
Old Aug 8th 2016, 3:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_fary
Hey, i still haven't sorted my situation out. The main question i have is

If i have private healthcare insurance in Spain. Do i still need to pay into the social security system in Spain?

Is it absolutely required no exceptions?
Basically, YES. If you are working in Spain or are self-employed in Spain, then you MUST make SS payments. You can even choose to pay more than the minimum in order to increase your pension pot and/or and subsequent benefits.

Just like you have to make NI payments in UK.

These payments are not just for healthcare, they also cover pension, benefits etc.