Lindsay

Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:57 am
Just Joined

lindsay031167 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lindsay

hello, I am new to this forum so please be gentle. I am hoping to relocate to the Almeria region of Spain, although am still very flexible with exactly where. My main concern is a follow on education for my son who will be 16 so am looking for the A level equivalent in an english speaking school but most seem to be in the Malaga region, is this the case? I am wanting to move to an area not in the touristy areas. any advice/help would be much appreciated thank you.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lindsay

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

My feeling is that it would be better for your son if you stayed in the UK for him to finish his A levels before moving to Spain. There are people on here who have a lot of knowledge of the education system so hopefully they will be along to advise you soon.

Rosemary
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would concur with Rosemary.

There are some very good English speaking international schools. As one might expect, these are expensive and are located where there is a demand, i.e. in what you call "touristy" areas.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:15 am
Just Joined

thank you, that seems good advice
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:05 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You may like to consider extended vacations, i.e. rent a property in Almeria during the school holidays. This would be valuable experience and help you decide Almeria is / is not for you, before committing to a permanent relocation.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks
Old Sep 29th 2015, 9:18 am
Spanglish

Spangligh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lindsay,

I'd like to recommend you and your family "Costa de la Luz" in Huelva.

People here are really nice and friendly. The weather is wonderful, neither too hot in summers nor wet in winters. You also have two airports really near here, one in Portugal and another one in Seville. Being an unexpensive area to live as well.

Concerning your son education, there are several public schools which have a bilingual sistem and some of them have an "Erasmus programme" which provided them with young English-speaking students, it's an "swap program and agreement" among Andalusia and other English-speaking countries governments. If your son will be 16, he'll study in a secundary school, where Spanish teenagers will show off about to have an English classmate.

I personally belive that the younger your son is the better from him to speak Spanish and get completely integrated in our Spanish culture. Obviously, at the beginning you all will be a little lost here but you'll get used to this country and its people really quickly.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi is Costa de la Luz anywhere near Praia da Luz?
Old Sep 30th 2015, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

thank you
Old Sep 30th 2015, 12:44 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
Costa de la Luz is in Spain. Praia da Luz is in Portugal.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks sorry, I noticed Portugal being mentioned above.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lindsay

Originally Posted by wilsman77
Costa de la Luz is a coastline from the Portuguese border east about one hundred miles from the town of Ayamonte to the town of Punta Umbria then south about one hundred miles to Gibraltar.
Pria da Luz is a Portuguese town along the same East/west coast about one hundred miles from the Spanish border.