Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

1 year trial rental in Costa del Sol

1 year trial rental in Costa del Sol

Old Sep 30th 2015, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Su51ejane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 year trial rental in Costa del Sol

Hi, We think we would like to live in the Costa Del Sol, and want to rent a property for 1 year to see how ŵe settle. We don't own our property here so we have nothing to lose and no dependants. My husband is self employed and will be able to work in any country so finances are not a problem either.

What are they key points we need to investigate and look out for, we both have repeat prescription medication also and we are aged 48/53.

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 4:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year trial rental in Costa del Sol

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 30th 2015, 5:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You will need private health care. Medications can be expensive, but most are not. Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

1. Be aware that rentals are easy to pick up in Spain and off season you should expect to pay €550 per month + electricity charges.
2. It's no big deal, you can choose your areas for one, two, three months or more in any location. If you wish to change resort, town, village, province, street, it is easy too.
3. October - April is where you learn most about any area you choose.
4. Nearby Airport that services your area in the UK is important.
5. If you are not using your car, good public transport is a must. Walking distance to good local supermarket is probably more important than you think.
6. You probably need at least two bedroom accommodation. Suddenly, your family/friends will want to visit you, nothing like some winter sunshine!
7. You'll realise that bottle of wine you pay €10.00 for in the UK wouldn't even be used by the Spaniards for cooking. You are now paying €3.00 for a bottle of wine in Spain that you would pay ten times the amount in London.
8. You will need to readjust (I kid you not) i.e. slow down, prepare to spend more time in the supermarket, bank, etc. Don't rush the Spaniards, whatever you do. If it takes you less than two hours after sitting down to dinner you are not readjusting.
9. Learn some Spanish and use it, you will be appreciated all the more in Spain even amongst the Brits.
10. Why wait, go now - set Nov 1st as your arrival date.
11. Not least; expect to live longer.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

peaceoutnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leper
1. Be aware that rentals are easy to pick up in Spain and off season you should expect to pay €550 per month + electricity charges.
2. It's no big deal, you can choose your areas for one, two, three months or more in any location. If you wish to change resort, town, village, province, street, it is easy too.
3. October - April is where you learn most about any area you choose.
4. Nearby Airport that services your area in the UK is important.
5. If you are not using your car, good public transport is a must. Walking distance to good local supermarket is probably more important than you think.
6. You probably need at least two bedroom accommodation. Suddenly, your family/friends will want to visit you, nothing like some winter sunshine!
7. You'll realise that bottle of wine you pay €10.00 for in the UK wouldn't even be used by the Spaniards for cooking. You are now paying €3.00 for a bottle of wine in Spain that you would pay ten times the amount in London.
8. You will need to readjust (I kid you not) i.e. slow down, prepare to spend more time in the supermarket, bank, etc. Don't rush the Spaniards, whatever you do. If it takes you less than two hours after sitting down to dinner you are not readjusting.
9. Learn some Spanish and use it, you will be appreciated all the more in Spain even amongst the Brits.
10. Why wait, go now - set Nov 1st as your arrival date.
11. Not least; expect to live longer.
Thanks for the details to the other couple. I am also considering this area. But the most important issue for me is/are bugs. I can count off 11 holy terrors here in Texas. Is it the same in Spain? Do I need to consider cities over coastal. I wanted to be near Alicante, water at my front door.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Peaceoutnow, Every country has bugs of some kind or other. Can you say what your 11 holy terrors are? I've never been bitten by any bug in Spain. However, there is one bug to look out for i.e. the Timeshare Salesmen, My God, how they can bite! Personally, I would use only coastal locations.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peaceoutnow
Thanks for the details to the other couple. I am also considering this area. But the most important issue for me is/are bugs. I can count off 11 holy terrors here in Texas. Is it the same in Spain? Do I need to consider cities over coastal. I wanted to be near Alicante, water at my front door.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary