Light fitting

Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Haydan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Light fitting

Can anyone tell me if you can fit a light in Spain that has been purchased in England ?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light fitting

Originally Posted by Haydan
Can anyone tell me if you can fit a light in Spain that has been purchased in England ?
Yes
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can but remember that if it is a bayonet style one that you will need to bring the bulbs to fit it with you because the shops sell screw fitting bulbs here.

Rosemary
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Yes you can but remember that if it is a bayonet style one that you will need to bring the bulbs to fit it with you because the shops sell screw fitting bulbs here.

Rosemary
Good point: I would even reconsider bringing it over if it had a bayonet fitting, as its just a hassle having to have a stock of bulbs. Unless its super-special I would suggest that you consider getting one in Spain - easy to find.

There maybe a way to change the fitting from bayonet to screw, depending on the fitting (if you are comfortable working with electricity) or there used to be an adaptor, baronet to screw (I don't know if you can still get them) - but that would push the bulb out further. It depends on your light fitting.

Good luck

Jon
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

Recently gave up sourcing bayonet fitting bulbs for my Brit lamps. Bought adapters from Amazon uk now work fine with screw fittings.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Recently gave up sourcing bayonet fitting bulbs for my Brit lamps. Bought adapters from Amazon uk now work fine with screw fittings.
Great thanks, you can still get them.

Do they push the bulb out a lot further though? (As opposed to having a bayonet fitting + bulb, with no adaptor)

Jon
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

I haven't noticed any difference, but these are 3 standard floor lamps so the bulb is covered by the shade.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I took out some lovely 30 yrs old light fittings from the UK that seemed appropriate for our living room at CE. Yes they are bayonet fitting. I just go to Poundland (UK) and get the bayonet fitting small candle bulbs which are LED now and take them out. I believe the LED bulbs are supposed to last several thousand hours. Yes , incredible value - only £1. Quarter of the Spanish price, even in the Chino shops.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by keithBT
I took out some lovely 30 yrs old light fittings from the UK that seemed appropriate for our living room at CE. Yes they are bayonet fitting. I just go to Poundland (UK) and get the bayonet fitting small candle bulbs which are LED now and take them out. I believe the LED bulbs are supposed to last several thousand hours. Yes , incredible value - only £1. Quarter of the Spanish price, even in the Chino shops.
Being out of the UK for a long time now - I only discovered poundland, Wilko's, B+M, poundstretcher (I think its called) in 2017!

Love em!! 2 items of a big batch of other stuff I bought included blocked nose relief and huge bags of Bombay mix!! Throw in some cashews and ground dried chilli flakes and its delicious!

As mentioned in my post, my comments depended on the kind of light fitting and whether it was 'super - special'. So of course you want to enjoy your lovely fitting.

LED is amazing - we use a 1 watt night-light in the bathroom and it gives out enough light to use it - when needing 'to go' in the middle of the night, without that blinding effect of switching the light on.

Jon