Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lidl Bacon AWOL!

Lidl Bacon AWOL!

Old Aug 6th 2021, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lidl Bacon AWOL!

Looks like the bacon is out of stock again, Ive been into my local Lidl looking for it a few times over the last few weeks no sign of it...
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Consum always has it.. Not to bad either @ 1,80 something for a pack of 10 strips.

One of our Dealz had peanut butter in yesterday tho not the normal stock but nut valley @ €2 a pot - has anyone tried the €3 peanut butter from Mercadoona?
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Consum always has it.. Not to bad either @ 1,80 something for a pack of 10 strips.

One of our Dealz had peanut butter in yesterday tho not the normal stock but nut valley @ €2 a pot - has anyone tried the €3 peanut butter from Mercadoona?
yes but is a cream, prefer the crunchy type
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manclass
Looks like the bacon is out of stock again, Ive been into my local Lidl looking for it a few times over the last few weeks no sign of it...
Think Ive only had Bacon once since we got here last year and to be honest Ive never been a fan of the English brerakfast (and the only time I used to have one was when away for work as we used to skip lunch)

But Carrefour do a nice range of bacon I saw some this morning when we were out shopping.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

It is bad for you but so good. I put it on burgers, in quiches, in breakfast burritos, on pizza and I have cravings for a BLT sandwich every now and again especially with the heat, but I never sit down and have a english breakfast or any other type. Tea and cigarettes are my daily brekky.

I always tin foil the backing tray and cook it all at once in the oven at 200° then store in a tupperware container in the frigo until ready to use...
Old Aug 7th 2021, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

IminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manclass
yep same here been about a month now😞
Old Aug 7th 2021, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

If your retired and not limited to hours of work why not make your own bacon at home? Belly pork for streaky and pork loin for back bacon.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing how and all you need to make your bacon is easily available online.

I've made my own many times in the past and when your bacon is ready what I do is place in the freezer not to freeze but to really 'firm' up and then slice on small electric slicer (not expensive). I use a vacuum sealer and seal batches of bacon. These will last an easy 4-6 weeks in a fridge and frozen are good for 3-6 months.

A new satisfying hobby for you
Old Aug 7th 2021, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

IminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bob_bob
If your retired and not limited to hours of work why not make your own bacon at home? Belly pork for streaky and pork loin for back bacon.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing how and all you need to make your bacon is easily available online.

I've made my own many times in the past and when your bacon is ready what I do is place in the freezer not to freeze but to really 'firm' up and then slice on small electric slicer (not expensive). I use a vacuum sealer and seal batches of bacon. These will last an easy 4-6 weeks in a fridge and frozen are good for 3-6 months.

A new satisfying hobby for you
BRILLIANT Hhahahah
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm serious Imin, its not hard to do. You can pick up a vacuum sealer for €25 and about the same for an electric slicer. Last lot I made was about two years ago, got the grandkids helping and I'm going to make a batch next weekend, get me off me ass...there's more to life than ham radio and my polytunnel LOL (my chilli plants are in overdrive this year, I'll have enough chilli chutney to last a lifetime).
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I only eat smoked bacon. Do you make that as well?
Most of the time we eat the Oscar Meyer pack of streaky smoked bacon. Wonderful flavour and far better than any English bacon - not so lean though.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Most of the time we eat the Oscar Meyer pack of streaky smoked bacon. Wonderful flavour and far better than any English bacon - not so lean though.
You can buy artificial smoke flavor in some shops here.. It is the same that oscar meyer uses.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

I do.
Like Bob I cure the pork but then smoke it. Again, not difficult and satisfying to do.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I've made smoked bacon and ham, not hard but you need a smoker (I also make sausages). This thread has made me feel quite guilty, I've not made any bacon or sausages since 2019!!! Soon to be remedied.

The Oscar Mayer bacon is much the same as the Tesco or Asda smoked dry cured bacon, high quality that cooks without throwing out a pan full of water and additives. You can get smoked streaky in Spain easy enough, bought it myself in the past though Fred?

Home made thick American pancakes and crisp cooked smoked streaky with Maple syrup is one USA export I enjoy from time to time.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Yes, I've made smoked bacon and ham, not hard but you need a smoker (I also make sausages).
With liquid smoke or powdered smoke flavour for your dry rub you do not need a smoker but it is "not natural".

there are some very useful designs on the www for no weld smokers (55 & 21-30 gallon metal drums) or plans on how to turn your current bbq into one.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growinspain
With liquid smoke or powdered smoke flavour for your dry rub you do not need a smoker but it is "not natural".

there are some very useful designs on the www for no weld smokers (55 & 21-30 gallon metal drums) or plans on how to turn your current bbq into one.
liquid smoke (very popular in the USA) I have used for some years, bought it off ebay but now Tesco sell Knorr liquid smoke in the UK. Its OK but just not the same as 'real' smoked meat. My smoker is third hand, an American stationed here bought it over, he sold it to a friend of a friend who couldn't get on with it so I ended up buying it in back around 2008.

You can make a smoker from an old filing cabinet, plenty of plans/videos online to help you.

I've been a bushcrafter/prepper since the 80s (no, I don't have a bunker or loads of firearms) so items like smokers/vacuum packers/slicers are basic kit for me but I'd say have a go if you've not tried it and making sausage is very easy so you need never run out of 'British' sausages in Spain again You can get a sausage maker of Amazon Spain from €40 and the skins.

Ham radio conditions are good tonight, piles of Spanish stations on air.