leishmania

Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:01 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default leishmania

One of our three dogs was found to have leishmania yesterday she is on the whole rather well and still running around. The vet mentioned a new treatment that is in liquid form and taken by mouth by the dog for a total of 4 weeks.The cost is about 200 euros. Prior to this treatment you took the dog for a course of costly injections. The vet states there is every possibility she will be cured with this new treatment. All my dogs wear the white collar and have their avanta treatment on their fur. She can of course catch it again from the sandfly as we live near the rice delta and beaches. I wonder if anyone has heard of this treatment and what was the outcome and if there are any side effects.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leishmania

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
One of our three dogs was found to have leishmania yesterday she is on the whole rather well and still running around. The vet mentioned a new treatment that is in liquid form and taken by mouth by the dog for a total of 4 weeks.The cost is about 200 euros. Prior to this treatment you took the dog for a course of costly injections. The vet states there is every possibility she will be cured with this new treatment. All my dogs wear the white collar and have their avanta treatment on their fur. She can of course catch it again from the sandfly as we live near the rice delta and beaches. I wonder if anyone has heard of this treatment and what was the outcome and if there are any side effects.
my dog had leishmania, he had the injections and then 2 different lots of tablets..he went to new owners and when I last spoke to them he was doing fine
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Is Leishmania prevalent across ALL of Spain, i.e. Galicia? I ask because I haven't seen these collars.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Jan 17th 2009 at 7:11 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

A near neighbour's lost a dog to this, but I don't think after the new treatment....I thought this was mainly a summer problem?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

what is it?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
what is it?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...leishmania.htm
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its a people problem as well
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

yesssss
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A recent high profile casualty was Ben Fogle.

http://tinyurl.com/5nz348

Luckily he has since recovered.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Languedoc and our former dog caught it a few years ago. It's caused by a mosquito bite. We had to inject the poor thing three times a day for several weeks. I couldn't bear it, but a kindly neighbour took over. He died (of old age) and we now have another dog and I hope that, if he gets bitten, your liquid treatment will be available in France. Whatever side effects there are, they can't be worse than the distress of being injected by well-wishers (and three visits to the Vet per day for so long would be too expensive). Hope yours soon recovers!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Hello poshnbucks
i have two friends who have a dog with leishmania. They had to have a treatment and both are ok. there is nothing to prevent lesihmania, the collar is just for avoiding parasites. Having some test is the only thing we can do and if the illness is detected in their beginning, then you can treat it and the dog will be ok.
The leishmania is due to mosquito as you all know and that is why the places in where there is more abundant is close to the rivers and in humidity zones.
i wish your dog all the best, and i'm sure she is going to have a very long and happy life.
kind regards
marisol
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
The leishmania is due to mosquito as you all know and that is why the places in where there is more abundant is close to the rivers and in humidity zones.

They are not mosquitoes, they are sandflies. They lay their eggs in the soil so they can be found almost anywhere as opposed to mosquitoes who need water to breed.

The best prevention is get the dogs inside before sundown.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
They are not mosquitoes, they are sandflies. They lay their eggs in the soil so they can be found almost anywhere as opposed to mosquitoes who need water to breed.

The best prevention is get the dogs inside before sundown.
And is it, as I had thought, more prevalent in warmer/hotter weather?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw
And is it, as I had thought, more prevalent in warmer/hotter weather?
I would assume that sandflies, just like mossies, don't like cold weather as it affects the breeding cycle. If you see a mossie in the winter it's probably breeding and living indoors.

They don't like high temperatures and low humidity which is why they are only active after sunset.

A quick Google came up with this article

http://www.ehponline.org/members/1996/104-7/cross.html
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:35 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

We use the white Scalibor collars. I thought they were good against sandflies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.