Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leaving Spain - Costa/ Ireland good idea? work?

Leaving Spain - Costa/ Ireland good idea? work?

Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Monito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Spain - Costa/ Ireland good idea? work?

Hi, I have lived in Valencia for 7 years with little work during that time mostly casual or working for myself but lately i am on my own ,its just too tough and I cannot earn enough,the work was seasonal and this year poor. I have considered going down to the Costa del Sol-Marbella zone to see if there are any possibilities there but am a bit negative that I am just wasting time and should leave Spain now . I ran a small tourguide business for American tourists but I don't think that idea would work there and am short of new ideas and cannot risk losing more money.
Number 2 option is to return to Galway Ireland , yes its tough there too but I think nothing can be quite this bleak and you can rent/buy a decent home unlike here. Any thoughts on returning to Ireland ? Seems there are no jobs in Spain especially for non-Spanish, speaking fluent Spanish counts for little in my experience in getting jobs. If I do go back should I take my lhd Mercedes 2002 with me - is it costly to take it back ? I have 13cbm of stuff too that I would take with a removal outfit so its a big decision that I really have trouble making .

Last edited by Monito; Sep 14th 2011 at 10:28 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leaving Spain - Costa/ Ireland good idea? work?

Best will in the world, moving back to your homeland is only a choice you can make. If you have a support system back in Ireland, people who can help you out till you get your self back on your feet then maybe it is worth considering. You may be able to find work but like many places jobs are not the easiest things to come by and as you have been out of the country they may or may not hold it against you.

Try applying for work before you go back, may even pay you to attend interviews, sign on with an agency and see what they can offer you, have a look at local papers on line and see what sort of work is available at least you will have an idea what your going back to.

Never give up and if you have to go back at least you have tried and lived the dream, you never know what will happen in a few years, if you can muddle through, maybe flat share you may even be able to do some handman work in return for small wage and a roof over your head.

What ever you choose good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you have few options. I try a working holiday back home first. Then if if things work out move your stuff. I would sell the car before you leave.

More demand for a tourist agency for USA visitors to Ireland, but I guess there is a lot of competition?

Good Luck
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

There is a wealth of information in the Movng Back to the UK section which may be of help to you. Also look in the Ireland forum because this will give you further help with what is happening there and may help with your decision. We are sorry to hear that you have had a problem gaining sufficient employment recently in Valencia it must haver been a wonderful place to live in the last 7 years.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham