Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish tax confusing!

Spanish tax confusing!

Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Spanish tax confusing!

Just getting slightly confused (not hard with me )
Now I will be coming over with my Daughter and Gary will be staying in the uk with his work. We are paying into the uk system but what taxes etc will we pay in Spain.

Thank all help will be appreciated.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish tax confusing!

Originally Posted by missbad
Just getting slightly confused (not hard with me )
Now I will be coming over with my Daughter and Gary will be staying in the uk with his work. We are paying into the uk system but what taxes etc will we pay in Spain.

Thank all help will be appreciated.
If you and your daughter are both resident here and not working, then you should still put in a tax return but will pay NO tax.

If your husband is not Spanish resident (and he must be able to prove when he is/isn't here), then he will only have to pay tax in UK.

However, that (potentially) means that you will have no healthcare here is Spain as no one is paying into the system. Your EHIC card will be invalid as you will be Spanish resident so you will have to take out private cover I suspect.

(I think that's correct)
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:47 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

However, that (potentially) means that you will have no healthcare here is Spain as no one is paying into the system. Your EHIC card will be invalid as you will be Spanish resident so you will have to take out private cover I suspect.
Under EU rules I think you will find that the family of a worker in the UK who is paying NI contributions are entitled to equivalent healthcare in the country they live in. The form to apply is the new S1 form - it used to be the E109.

Another point is that under Spanish tax residency rules, if your family live in Spain you are deemed tax resident in Spain. That means that the husband would have to declare his UK income for tax in Spain but deduct any tax paid in the UK. A classic case of being tax resident in both countries.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Do I also pay for private health care I am under a consultant at our hospital in the uk and I am not sure if it is best for me to come to the uk for my check ups or pay for a doctor in Spain.
I dont want to get in any trouble for not doing the right thing especially when it comes to financial things.
Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
Do I also pay for private health care I am under a consultant at our hospital in the uk and I am not sure if it is best for me to come to the uk for my check ups or pay for a doctor in Spain.
I dont want to get in any trouble for not doing the right thing especially when it comes to financial things.
Thanks
If you are eligible under the EU reciprocal arrangements then you would be fully covered just as if your husband was working in Spain. You and your children would be entitled to complete cover under the Spanish health system.

One you become resident in Spain, in theory you can't go back and get NHS care in the UK. Private insurance wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition anyway.

Get in touch with the HMRC in the UK and check out just what you will be entitled to.

This is the form you need to apply for a E109/S1

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are eligible under the EU reciprocal arrangements then you would be fully covered just as if your husband was working in Spain. You and your children would be entitled to complete cover under the Spanish health system.

One you become resident in Spain, in theory you can't go back and get NHS care in the UK. Private insurance wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition anyway.

Get in touch with the HMRC in the UK and check out just what you will be entitled to.

This is the form you need to apply for a E109/S1

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf
Thank you X
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under EU rules I think you will find that the family of a worker in the UK who is paying NI contributions are entitled to equivalent healthcare in the country they live in. The form to apply is the new S1 form - it used to be the E109.

Another point is that under Spanish tax residency rules, if your family live in Spain you are deemed tax resident in Spain. That means that the husband would have to declare his UK income for tax in Spain but deduct any tax paid in the UK. A classic case of being tax resident in both countries.
Thanks Fred, didn't know that one.