Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leaving on a Jet Plane....

Leaving on a Jet Plane....

Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:51 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving on a Jet Plane....

Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
Nice picture in today's Sunday Times of two children in their macs and wellies, sheltering from "a torrential downpour" that struck an agricultural show in Gloucestershire yesterday - what fun they appeared to be having!

The commentary on Andy Murray's match at Wimbledon yesterday evening kept mentioning how cold it was getting for the spectators before the roof was closed.

I'm not stuck indoors cowering from unbearable heat here in Spain, left the house at 12.45 pm today to go and buy the paper and have a stroll around town, which we did for an hour and it was a very pleasant 32C with a lovely breeze. I'm about to spend an idle couple of hours lying on my sunlounger finishing off the rest of the paper and my book. In fact my normal routine when I'm at home rather than on holiday remains much the same in summer as in winter - go out and do the shopping and other chores in the morning, have lunch, 3 afternoons a week spent at the health club for swimming and fitness classes, another afternoon out somewhere, and so on. The only change is that at this time of year we cross the street to walk on the shady side rather than doing the opposite the rest of the year!

Having got back last Sunday from 4 days shivering in the cold, rain and wind in Manchester, I wouldn't swap. And my family assured me that I hadn't experienced the worst of the weather they'd had by any means.
Well each to their own. Any temperature with a 3 in front of it is too hot for me!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering how long this turned into a Spain vs Britain thread.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Since early yesterday afternoon, apparently.

My OH used to work for a travel company and they got some truly wonderful complaints from customers - eg someone went on a safari holiday to Africa and complained that it was hot and dusty and there were wild animals. I always think about that when I hear people who have moved to Southern Spain complaining about the heat in summer. Did they
a) not realise that temperatures often get over 35 degrees in that area?
b) not realise that they as individuals didn't find hot weather very pleasant before they moved?
c) not consider moving to another area of Spain with a cooler, wetter climate if that's what they prefer?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

And what about those who went for the heat and bought a place in the alpujarras and then complained about the icy winters

My perception was that the summers were getting hotter and the winters getting colder...I think it was me getting older

My ideal would be somewhere between Spain and UK climate. Florida is ideal in winter but hot and humid in summer. LA seems milder. The thing is when on holiday it seems different. Go to Spain in winter and if it's been sunny all day then you are out in it and then in a warm hotel at night. You don't realise how really cold the houses can get. I love going to the caribbean in winter but I don't know if I would like the 28C to 32C all the year round.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I guess, being British, that moaning about the weather is just in our genes and we would find something to complain about anywhere in the world. Mind you the Spanish are nearly as bad, every day it's either "Que calor" or "Que frio", and I think "you what?". They fall over themselves to sit on the shady side of the bus, fanning themselves and closing the curtains, or go about with their faces covered with scarves in the winter like my Mum used to do to us as kids if we'd just been to the dentist. Shouldn't they be used to the heat/cold by now?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I guess, being British, that moaning about the weather is just in our genes and we would find something to complain about anywhere in the world. Mind you the Spanish are nearly as bad, every day it's either "Que calor" or "Que frio", and I think "you what?". They fall over themselves to sit on the shady side of the bus, fanning themselves and closing the curtains, or go about with their faces covered with scarves in the winter like my Mum used to do to us as kids if we'd just been to the dentist. Shouldn't they be used to the heat/cold by now?
True, if they can't handle it then what hope for us ?

Apart from the longer spells of blue skies and sunshine, though often too darned hot anyway, the weather can often be just as changable and unpredictable as in the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Since early yesterday afternoon, apparently.

My OH used to work for a travel company and they got some truly wonderful complaints from customers - eg someone went on a safari holiday to Africa and complained that it was hot and dusty and there were wild animals. I always think about that when I hear people who have moved to Southern Spain complaining about the heat in summer. Did they
a) not realise that temperatures often get over 35 degrees in that area?
b) not realise that they as individuals didn't find hot weather very pleasant before they moved?
c) not consider moving to another area of Spain with a cooler, wetter climate if that's what they prefer?
I knew full well I did not like it that hot. My husband, however, is solar powered. I put up with it because I love him and sometimes you have to compromise. The last three years we were there he compromised by spending the summer in the UK.