Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish

Learning Spanish

Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Bolehill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning Spanish

Hi there expats. I'm a newbie. I've just bought a house near Cartagena. Only for holidays at the moment, rather than to live in full-time, but I'd like to learn Spanish. I've heard that if you own a house in Spain it can entitle you to attend free classes in Spanish. Does anyone know if that is true and, if so, how do I find out about classes in my area?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Spanish

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bolehill,

I've lived in Spain most of my life and have never heard such a thing. I doubt it is true, but if it is I'd be interested to know too.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary. Hi Mina! Watch this space, then - maybe we'll both learn something!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Some councils do offer free Spanish lessons but as with (it seems) every region of Spain it depends upon where you live. Ask at you local Ayuntamiento.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

OK, will do. Thanks rspltd :-)
Old Mar 12th 2016, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved we had a basic understanding of Spanish having had lessons in the UK.
On arriving in Spain we were pleased to find out that our town hall provided free Spanish lessons, so we registered and went along to the beginners class hosted on Tuesdays.
After our first lesson we realised that we were probably more suited to the intermidiate classes as the beginners class was very basic and most fellow pupils knew no Spanish at all. (not even numbers or days of the week etc)
The following week we went to the Wednesday intermidiate class only to find the same Brits in attendance who were struggling at the beginners stage.
Ok we thought we will try the advanced class held on Thursday only to find the exact same folk turned up at that class also.
It was a complete shambles and waste of time. When we asked some fellow Brits why they attended all the classes they replied that they thought they would learn quicker!

IMO you can't beat taking an interest in local affairs & talking to the neighbours to pick up the lingo.
Watching Spanish tv also helps a great deal.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I use italki.com. I have several regular chat partners some of whom have become friends who we've met in "real life", as they say.

It's very easy to find suitable people to chat with. At first glance it looks like a place to find online professional teachers, which it is, but there is a "community" area where you can meet other members.

I'd recommend it for you Big Wheels given the problems you've had with the classes. If you give away free turds somebody will eat em, eh.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond reputeMina_Alicante has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so those Spanish classes do exist - good to know!

I have also used Italki and I recommend it too.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
When we moved we had a basic understanding of Spanish having had lessons in the UK.
On arriving in Spain we were pleased to find out that our town hall provided free Spanish lessons, so we registered and went along to the beginners class hosted on Tuesdays.
After our first lesson we realised that we were probably more suited to the intermidiate classes as the beginners class was very basic and most fellow pupils knew no Spanish at all. (not even numbers or days of the week etc)
The following week we went to the Wednesday intermidiate class only to find the same Brits in attendance who were struggling at the beginners stage.
Ok we thought we will try the advanced class held on Thursday only to find the exact same folk turned up at that class also.
It was a complete shambles and waste of time. When we asked some fellow Brits why they attended all the classes they replied that they thought they would learn quicker!

IMO you can't beat taking an interest in local affairs & talking to the neighbours to pick up the lingo.
Watching Spanish tv also helps a great deal.
Perhaps they were thinking the same about you being there
Old Mar 17th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Classes do exist and they are free, however they vary tremendously not only from town to town but from year to year. Ours lasted two hours every wednasday. The "teacher" turned up half an hour late, and just gave us ( badly) photocopy sheets to fill in every week. little speaking and she would tell us what to do when we had done them. We lasted a year then packed it in. Try pod casts from Notes in Spanish, or light speed Spanish. They are both free and you can contact them both by email or better twitter. In each case they are both married couples and the man is native English and the Woman native Spanish. They both have various level from beginners to advanced.
Pete
Old Mar 18th 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys - lots of good tips there :-)
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bolehill
Thanks guys - lots of good tips there :-)
There might be an "Escuela de Idiomas" in your area. If so, try to enrol this coming September. In our area (Basque country), they offer English, Basque, German, French, Italian, Russian & Spanish. They cost €75 for the year and the classes are twice a week @ 2½ hours per class.
There's an online test you can do to get an idea of your level. (pruebas de nivel)

This website might help you:
Listado de escuelas oficiales de idiomas - educaweb.com
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Blass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really niceBlass is just really nice

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Classes do exist and they are free, however they vary tremendously not only from town to town but from year to year. Ours lasted two hours every wednasday. The "teacher" turned up half an hour late, and just gave us ( badly) photocopy sheets to fill in every week. little speaking and she would tell us what to do when we had done them. We lasted a year then packed it in. Try pod casts from Notes in Spanish, or light speed Spanish. They are both free and you can contact them both by email or better twitter. In each case they are both married couples and the man is native English and the Woman native Spanish. They both have various level from beginners to advanced.
Pete
Thanks for that [light speed Spanish] just what I have been looking for. I will definitely try the podcasts and will buy the books.

Forgot to mention I can only speak about Fuerteventura but when I was over February they were starting Spanish classes for non Spanish residents. The Culture Department of Antigua were running them. You received 2 hours 30 minutes of lessons per week. You must be registered with the local council of Antigua,and take a photocopy of your NIE & passport.

One hundred students have enrolled for the courses. These include German, British, Indian, Polish, French and Italian speakers so there is a demand for it. Hope when we move to Spain we can get lessons. I would even be prepared to pay.

Last edited by Blass; Mar 19th 2016 at 6:11 pm. Reason: add on
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

leeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't heard of the free lessons personally, however Spain is full of wonderful and rather inexpensive Spanish classes that you can attend. You won't regret learning such a beautiful language

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.