Reload this Page >

Laying Bricks and Mortar

Laying Bricks and Mortar

Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

rosstoward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laying Bricks and Mortar

Hey,

Being a dab hand at all things DIY, I'm, building a new Inglenook chimney breast, I don't need alot of materials so was thinking of Ready Mix Mortar, would only need 2 or 3 bags (Just add water) - what do I use here and what is this called over here?

Also in the uk I would use a bonding coat onto the bare brick then a top coat - Again what do I use here and whats it called? I have heard Capa Fina but it won't bond direct onto the bricks, is that also right.

AND

Can I use Yeso for internal brick laying, my dad says the spanish use it for everything! Even makeup foundation.....

Thanks in advance - off to builders merchant today so swift reply needed
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:13 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laying Bricks and Mortar

Those sort of materials are dead cheap here. I pay about 2.40€ for a bag of cement and 1€ for a capazo (large bucket) of sand.

So, at those prices, I wouldn't use ready-mix.

I also don't recall seeing anyone use 'browning' or 'bonding'. I would paint the wall with a PVA solution then render over.

In Spain, they would generally leave the final finish very rough. If you want a smooth finish then you certainly would use 'yeso listo' but it can be hard to use for the 'uninitiated' - it's best mixed by hand.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

so capazo is a measure of sand, I would imagine sold in bags, and cement would be cementos?

Do they builders merchants rip you off in like they do in the UK if your not trade?

I was trade in the uk so used to cheap as chips prices.........
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sika seal do a good line in sealing and bonding. I sealed the lower level of our villa with it to eradicate damp
Available from most leading builders merchants :-)
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Yeah Sika, used loads of it in the past, also weber rend as a top coat, dunno if I could get that here, its for a fire place so needs a good Bond.....
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosstoward
so capazo is a measure of sand, I would imagine sold in bags, and cement would be cementos?

Do they builders merchants rip you off in like they do in the UK if your not trade?

I was trade in the uk so used to cheap as chips prices.........
Just about everyone here uses these 'buckets' (I call them capazos but that may not be the correct spelling). I see they are also now being used in UK.

The idea is that you just take one along to the builders yard, either fill it yourself or get them to fill it. I guess it must be about 1cwt when full (40kg - does that sound about right?).

I have never had a problem and have not been ripped off (I'm certainly not a builder, just like DIY) - helps if you speak the language (or at least try).
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Sika, used loads of it in the past, also weber rend as a top coat, dunno if I could get that here, its for a fire place so needs a good Bond.....
Yes, you can
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

just a side note - I seen Rammstein 2 years ago at download festival - been the last 4 years and going again this year...
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:29 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Being a dab hand at all things DIY, I'm, building a new Inglenook chimney breast, I don't need alot of materials so was thinking of Ready Mix Mortar, would only need 2 or 3 bags (Just add water) - what do I use here and what is this called over here?

Also in the uk I would use a bonding coat onto the bare brick then a top coat - Again what do I use here and whats it called? I have heard Capa Fina but it won't bond direct onto the bricks, is that also right.

AND

Can I use Yeso for internal brick laying, my dad says the spanish use it for everything! Even makeup foundation.....

Thanks in advance - off to builders merchant today so swift reply needed
Sand & cement is all you need (IMO) and all this comes in bags.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 2:12 pm
Senior Moment

just a side note - I seen Rammstein 2 years ago at download festival - been the last 4 years and going again this year...
Ha ... well done
Seen them in Badalona, Barcelona, Berlin, Bilbao (BBK) Birmingham & Nottingham
Old Feb 9th 2015, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cement 2,90 a bag

Real Bricks (UK Style) 230 x 110 x 90 - 19c each

Not bad really happy with those prices - I have a dumpy of render sand which I can mix with the cent for laying..... Alls well.....
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Sand is called Arena (not areena like the the brits say) come in various measures, the big outlets like BricoDepot & Leroy Merlin you can buy it in the 25k bag. Smaller merchants will sell it by the 1metre square bags, typically containing 1 tonne of sand. As you say cement in the bag is called cemento.