Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latvia to join euro / poland to hold euro vote

Latvia to join euro / poland to hold euro vote

Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:01 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latvia to join euro / poland to hold euro vote

Originally Posted by BAT7311
... .dont be sexist why should women be left in poland
they are allowed to work now you know ..
Nice one
There are many Polish women working and contributing to the ecconomies of EU countries, including Spain and UK. Many do go home, but others choose to settle in their adopted country - just like those UK nationals currently living in Spain.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:23 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
Nice one
There are many Polish women working and contributing to the ecconomies of EU countries, including Spain and UK. Many do go home, but others choose to settle in their adopted country - just like those UK nationals currently living in Spain.
lots of polish women marry LOCALS from the country they are in but those that do not tend to go back home for a family life
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by amideislas
The euro is one of the greatest achievements in history. Unfortunately, the very foundation of it is fundamentally flawed, and the rectification of those flaws requires almost total loss of sovereignty for Eurozone members, which was never part of the deal. And support for that notion is slipping away more and more every day.

Next, the structure of the EU is not exactly set up to act as a functional democracy, designed to represent the will of the population. EU leaders are not elected to office and therefore have no specific responsibility to any electorate or constituency.

As you might expect, relinquishing sovereignty to an authority which has no responsibility to any electorate is not particularly palatable to individual member states who currently enjoy some level of democratic rule where their leaders are responsible to their electorate and constituencies. So, a fundamental, far-reaching mass-restructuring of the EU itself will probably be the minimum required to achieve a truly unified "European state".

As the crisis unfolded, EU "leadership" has consistently been in question, and the kind of draconian tactics now being implemented are not particularly encouraging to member states to relinquish sovereignty to the EU.

And that assumes that all of the actors involved are operating openly and without self-interest, which I think you would agree, would be a patently naive view to subscribe to. Trust isn't exactly ubiquitous in the EU.

So, it's not a simple solution or a pretty picture, and at this point I'd seriously question how sustainable it really is. It's certainly not going to get better before it gets better.
greatgradfather,grandfather,father all in european wars ...im first generation of europeans since the romans not to have to fight for my country ... its not all about money you know
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

It is when you’re queuing at a food bank, BAT.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

greatgradfather,grandfather,father all in european wars ...im first generation of europeans since the romans not to have to fight for my country ... its not all about money you know
Wars have always been about power and money - and of course religion, which, at the end of the day, can be argued is all about power and money. But this isn't about religion at all.

If you consider the draconian economics and self-serving politics increasingly imposed on the European population, our energy vulnerability (particularly to the Russians and the east in general) and the quietly growing civil unrest in the Eurozone, I think even you might agree that in the event things don't work out as we'd like, the next war will be all about power and money (or the lack of it, in this case).

I'd have to believe that if it did happen, it would more likely be a civil war, not a war between countries. I can already hear a faint drumbeat...
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Wars have always been about power and money - and of course religion, which, at the end of the day, can be argued is all about power and money. But this isn't about religion at all.

If you consider the draconian economics and self-serving politics increasingly imposed on the European population, our energy vulnerability (particularly to the Russians and the east in general) and the quietly growing civil unrest in the Eurozone, I think even you might agree that in the event things don't work out as we'd like, the next war will be all about power and money (or the lack of it, in this case).

I'd have to believe that if it did happen, it would more likely be a civil war, not a war between countries. I can already hear a faint drumbeat...
and there was me thinking it would be religious - Christians vs Muslims, again.

food is probably the one thing that could cause a war, or at least the lack of food. The have's are probably throwing away more than the havenot's need, just in some cases it isnt the right sort of food. The wrong diet can kill as easily as war, at far less cost.

`
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:36 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and there was me thinking it would be religious - Christians vs Muslims, again.

food is probably the one thing that could cause a war, or at least the lack of food. The have's are probably throwing away more than the havenot's need, just in some cases it isnt the right sort of food. The wrong diet can kill as easily as war, at far less cost.

`
Some of those good meat-like products they now pack into beef ready meals might help.

You can bet that if things go down the tubes, both the haves and the have-nots will suffer. But it appears that some of the haves may be already moving what they have elsewhere - just in case.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those good meat-like products they now pack into beef ready meals might help.

You can bet that if things go down the tubes, both the haves and the have-nots will suffer. But it appears that some of the haves may be already moving what they have elsewhere - just in case.
other than under granny's bed I am not so sure there are many "safe" places left - unless you think Virgin Galactic is actually ferrying people off the planet.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
other than under granny's bed I am not so sure there are many "safe" places left - unless you think Virgin Galactic is actually ferrying people off the planet.
Perhaps, but so far I only know of one place where it's completely legal for government to engage in indiscriminate raids of bank deposits. Of course, some would consider the declining benefits we receive for paying some the highest taxes in the world as a type of raid, too. But that's all academic.

Really, I reckon almost anywhere would seem more attractive than a Eurozone jurisdiction at the moment. It would be hard to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that UK banks are quietly receiving extraordinary deposits daily. And US banks, and Singapore, and Hong Kong, and Panama, and... and...
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:46 am
Banned

that was a part political broadcast on behalf of UKipper .. plenty of planes to go home and live in the UK ,and fight for freedom from those dam foreigners
cant see the logic in living in some one elses house and moaning about it all the time .... me i love europe,the euro,and ithe fact i can live and work here
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:49 am
Banned

Perhaps, but so far I only know of one place where it's completely legal for government to engage in indiscriminate raids of bank deposits. Of course, some would consider the declining benefits we receive for paying some the highest taxes in the world as a type of raid, too. But that's all academic.

Really, I reckon almost anywhere would seem more attractive than a Eurozone jurisdiction at the moment. It would be hard to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that UK banks are quietly receiving extraordinary deposits daily. And US banks, and Singapore, and Hong Kong, and Panama, and... and...
good off you go then .... yes much better to pay UK taxpayers money to buy failed banks ,so even POOR people dont have a say in 700 billion debt
at least in cyprus it the RICH (mostly russians) who are taxed ....
as for people putting their money into the british pound .... did you see that program on the container docks at felixstow
lot of importers are thinking of moving to EUROPE ax they only have EMPTY ships leaving england after dropping off the latest Chinese goods
so they will go to ROTTERDAM instead ,then the cost of goods to the uk will be higher as they are moved from there to the uk

Last edited by BAT7311; Mar 28th 2013 at 5:54 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:04 am
Banned

that was a part political broadcast on behalf of UKipper .. plenty of planes to go home and live in the UK ,and fight for freedom from those dam foreigners
cant see the logic in living in some one elses house and moaning about it all the time .... me i love europe,the euro,and ithe fact i can live and work here
Good on you, Mate! You're precisely the most desirable citizen Europe could ever want. No matter what they do, you won't complain.