Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:50 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Some absolute pillock on another similar forum refuses to have one along with any Covid vaccine as he's convinced they are putting tracking chip technology in both and thinks the entire thing is stage managed. The alarming thing he's a moderator of the site
Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
TIE cards have been around for a while, years even. Its only now that the government has decided to do away with "green papers / little green cards" that people are finding out about them.
But not to British or other EU Nationals? Which I am presuming is what that post referred to?
The TIE card being referred to is the one specific to UK citizens having or getting residency before 31 December. Other EU citizens will still use the green card. So the green card is not being "done away with" it is being replaced by TIE card for UK citizens who apply for residency after 6 July or those already resident who wish to change from green card to TIE.

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 18th 2020 at 9:58 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update. We have managed to complete the whole 2 phase procedure within 1 week and are now just awaiting the card being made. It was very straight forward really. Complete the ex 20 and attend the Extranjero Office in Malaga. They were very helpful although no English spoken. At the end of that visit they gave us a printed certificate and told us to make a cita with Police National . We did that only surprise was it was not to attend Torre Del Mar Police Station but main Malaga police station. We got an appointment the next day. We completed the ex 23 attended Malaga with required documents , queued at Extranjero police queue bang on time my wife went in no one allowed with her. They processed paperwork including checking 790- 12 which we had paid the 12 euros and got stamped at the bank. My wife said it was straight forward check paperwork take the photo off you take fingerprints that was it done. They told her she would collect card when ready from local police station.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Just to update. We have managed to complete the whole 2 phase procedure within 1 week and are now just awaiting the card being made. It was very straight forward really. Complete the ex 20 and attend the Extranjero Office in Malaga. They were very helpful although no English spoken. At the end of that visit they gave us a printed certificate and told us to make a cita with Police National . We did that only surprise was it was not to attend Torre Del Mar Police Station but main Malaga police station. We got an appointment the next day. We completed the ex 23 attended Malaga with required documents , queued at Extranjero police queue bang on time my wife went in no one allowed with her. They processed paperwork including checking 790- 12 which we had paid the 12 euros and got stamped at the bank. My wife said it was straight forward check paperwork take the photo off you take fingerprints that was it done. They told her she would collect card when ready from local police station.
Well done bobd22 and thank you for the update, I'm glad things went so smoothly.

What documentation did you present with the EX20 on your first visit? I'm wondering why you had to present your documents again at the second appointment. The EX20 has an appendix that allows you to list the documents that you are presenting and I'm wondering if you just fill this in first and present the required documentation on the second visit.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The documentation required for our first visit was S1 for medical cover, NIE if you have it, padron if you have it. Proof of income we took a nota simple showing our house owned outright with no debt and we took UK bank statements showing wife's income over 12 months. Passport. We took copies of everything. They also wanted a copy of my green residencia and the ex 23. The part you mention on ex 23 re filling in evidence you are producing we filled in ourselves, they seemed happy with that. The ex 20 has the same procedure to fill in for documentation you are giving them. For the ex 20 submission you only require the completed EX 20, certificate of authorisation (given when we submitted ex 23) passport + copy and competed paid and stamped 790 - 12 form plus 1 photo same size as driving licence photo 32 mm X 26 mm. That was it.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you first submit EX-20 at the extranjeria and then EX-23 at the national police station?
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

The documentation required for our first visit was S1 for medical cover, NIE if you have it, padron if you have it. Proof of income we took a nota simple showing our house owned outright with no debt and we took UK bank statements showing wife's income over 12 months. Passport. We took copies of everything. They also wanted a copy of my green residencia and the ex 23. The part you mention on ex 23 re filling in evidence you are producing we filled in ourselves, they seemed happy with that. The ex 20 has the same procedure to fill in for documentation you are giving them. For the ex 20 submission you only require the completed EX 20, certificate of authorisation (given when we submitted ex 23) passport + copy and competed paid and stamped 790 - 12 form plus 1 photo same size as driving licence photo 32 mm X 26 mm. That was it.
Thanks again bobd22. It's interesting that they would accept UK bank statements. Were these certified in any way or translated? I'm going to be using an agent and he says that they will only accept certified Spanish bank statements in Alicante, which is awkward as I use N26 in Spain and I'm "paperless" for my uk Santander account.

Has anyone completed this procedure in Alicante? We have proof of private pensions (P60's) but these are UK documents in english, would these be acceptable? We can also provide downloaded statements from our UK bank but I'm not sure if these would be acceptable or how we would get these certified.....might be time to change my agent.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Thanks again bobd22. It's interesting that they would accept UK bank statements. Were these certified in any way or translated? I'm going to be using an agent and he says that they will only accept certified Spanish bank statements in Alicante, which is awkward as I use N26 in Spain and I'm "paperless" for my uk Santander account.
Re the bank accounts it does seem to be dependant on the office what they will accept. I had contacted the office making enquiries by email to ascertain what we would require. I am resident with the old green card. We knew I could claim my wife on my pension etc but preferred for her to get residency in her own right. When we emailed them I explained she had UK savings buy no Spanish account as she had to be removed from that once I became resident. They replied by email saying UK accounts were ok. On the day the lady did query the bank accounts she thought we were both applying. I explained that I already had residency and showed her the email where they had told us we could use UK bank account to prove income. She went on the phone shortly after another lady appeared who looked at bank statements. She then took a copy of my residencia and said it was all fine. The statements were not certified or anything by the UK bank or anyone else.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's frustrating but this is often how things will happen. I have done this process a number of times over 20 years in different places and with different situations. Twenty years ago it was common to get a grumpy funcinario who would tell you you need more copies or better pictures etc only to find a week later a different person would accept only half the stuff. Nothing has really changed. The last time I applied I went with my wife who is a Spanish speaker. We had absolutely everything but were rejected as he said he wanted to see what are bank accounts would be in 3 months time. Immediately we got a friend who is a local gestor and went back. He then went and talked to someone and came back with some papers to sign and we got the cards the next day. So just go with the flow. Dont phone or write emails and DO NOT try and do it in English or with basic Spanish. Take someone who can at least speak fluent Spanish as this is respectful. Many Spanish probably speak some English but they might feel slightly nervous or feel they lose power if forced to use it. So for some funcinario this can make them uneasy and therefore they might not be so willing to accommodate you. My Spanish neighbour who is a nurse always says she hates being expected to speak English as she says she feels stupid and unprofessional.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Without writing emails to enquire as to relevant documentation required and in particular asking if UK bank accounts would be acceptable we would never have got anywhere. I can't understand why you say don't email or telephone? For a start to make an appointment for phase 1 of the procedure in the Málaga region that can only be done by phone. Yes you need to speak Spanish but certainly you don't need to be fluent, just prepared and don't expect any English to be spoken by anyone. We found (can only speak of our experience) that the main thing is have the correct forms fully and clearly completed in Spanish where required, have the correct and acceptable documentation, we ensured that by email enquiries which were answered quickly and clearly all be it in Spanish of course but easily translated when required. All the forms we submitted were easily completed online and printed off so clear to understand. Having done that there was very little by way of need to speak in reality other than the odd simple question to clarify the savings. In fact having a copy of the email made that very simple. Obviously as everyone knows it is very much regional specific as to experience on has but for us it was excellent no one put any unnecessary hurdles in our way the whole procedure from booking to completion done in 6 days.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Without writing emails to enquire as to relevant documentation required and in particular asking if UK bank accounts would be acceptable we would never have got anywhere. I can't understand why you say don't email or telephone? For a start to make an appointment for phase 1 of the procedure in the Málaga region that can only be done by phone. Yes you need to speak Spanish but certainly you don't need to be fluent, just prepared and don't expect any English to be spoken by anyone. We found (can only speak of our experience) that the main thing is have the correct forms fully and clearly completed in Spanish where required, have the correct and acceptable documentation, we ensured that by email enquiries which were answered quickly and clearly all be it in Spanish of course but easily translated when required. All the forms we submitted were easily completed online and printed off so clear to understand. Having done that there was very little by way of need to speak in reality other than the odd simple question to clarify the savings. In fact having a copy of the email made that very simple. Obviously as everyone knows it is very much regional specific as to experience on has but for us it was excellent no one put any unnecessary hurdles in our way the whole procedure from booking to completion done in 6 days.
sorry I meant dont email in English
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
sorry I meant dont email in English
OK now I get the point yes totally agree, basically from the word go expect no English to be spoken
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think people who need TIEs should be aware that Spain is really struggling again with outbreaks in all areas and in some areas in Murcia is back to phase 1 this means offices will be closed. At the moment in Alicante it's not too ( apart from Santa Pola) bad but its important not to assume that everything is back to normal .
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think people who need TIEs should be aware that Spain is really struggling again with outbreaks in all areas and in some areas in Murcia is back to phase 1 this means offices will be closed. At the moment in Alicante it's not too ( apart from Santa Pola) bad but its important not to assume that everything is back to normal .
Very valid and one of the reasons we didn't want to wait and see what gestors came up with etc. Better to get on with it ASAP given uncertain times at the moment. As you say they could close down the system at any time.