Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain facebook page:'As you will be aware from our previous posts and the Ambassador’s recent video, the Spanish government is introducing a new residency document for those UK nationals who are protected by the Withdrawal Agreement – the Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero or TIE. We understand that this will be introduced shortly and instructions are being issued to local authorities in the next few days. This will mean a revised appointments process for UK nationals – we expect details to be published on www.lamoncloa.gob.es and we will share this information as soon as we have it. We also understand that in some areas there may be a gap of about a week between the current system and the introduction of the new one, where no appointments will be available. This is a change in the system and does nothing to affect your overall rights.
Whether you have the green A4 certificate, the green credit card-sized version or whether you are issued directly with the TIE – all remain equally valid in demonstrating your rights as a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, even after the end of the Transition Period. You may choose to exchange your current certificate for a TIE in due course, but it is not obligatory.
We will update this post with further information as soon as it is available' (Ends)

Out of interest - are existing residents planning on obtaining the TIE?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Given the time limit to obtain residency due to Brexit and given per this information from the Embassy states you do not need to exchange old residencia for TIE at this time, then to do so currently will only increase pressure on the system. It should for at least until Jun 2021 be only new residents applying. Otherwise there will be a log jam and some will not get the residency they require. While some that have current residency and are safe will be able to show off their latest shiny new card.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

Out of interest - are existing residents planning on obtaining the TIE?

You don't need to. At the end of 5 years you can then apply.

I would hope that the authorities would not allow existing residents to make the change until at least the end of June 2021.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
You don't need to. At the end of 5 years you can then apply.

I would hope that the authorities would not allow existing residents to make the change until at least the end of June 2021.
Totally agree
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I will change to a TIE as soon as possible as it gives you a card which, like the old residency card, is acceptable for ID. The green form/card is not.

Most long term residents that I know feel the same way.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

However, if that means that existing residents should have to wait to obtain a TIE to give priority to people who may have been living here for years and are only just bothering to register, I disagree. I doubt whether there are enough people only just in the process of moving to cause a serious backlog.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Fred - the card will be useful and will apply when the system is up and working and settled down.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Personally I will change to a TIE as soon as possible as it gives you a card which, like the old residency card, is acceptable for ID.
As is a Spanish driving licence which we should all have by now or be in the process of acquiring
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain facebook page:'
Can you post a link please as I'm not finding that.

Found it (shouldn't have had to!)

https://www.facebook.com/BritsInSpain/

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Jul 1st 2020 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did not bother posting a link to FB as I know some people do not use it and those that do will probably have seen it.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

You don't need to be a FB user to read stuff there, I'm not.

Crap like this in the press doesn't help.

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/...s-put-on-hold/
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. These crap free “Brit” rags are a constant source of misinformation. I wouldn’t believe anything you might read in them.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
However, if that means that existing residents should have to wait to obtain a TIE to give priority to people who may have been living here for years and are only just bothering to register, I disagree. I doubt whether there are enough people only just in the process of moving to cause a serious backlog.

There is a huge backlog because of all the people who are only just coming out of the woodwork.
With the virus having stopped over 3 months of applications. When I spoke to our solicitor in when we were over in march, she said they had enough applications then to take them through to september, I've been advised that we may not get an appointment before december when we arrive mid august.

She said that they were getting residency enquiries from people who had been living in Spain for over 20 years GO FIGURE.

Added to the fact that most regions now only use one office for the appointments if you are British. In the Alicante region the office is in the city, you cannot go to benidorm anymore.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did not bother posting a link to FB as I know some people do not use it and those that do will probably have seen it.
I put a screen shot re embassy update on the other thread running. Like you I wasn't aware the embassy Facebook page could be viewed by all from a link.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is a huge backlog because of all the people who are only just coming out of the woodwork.
With the virus having stopped over 3 months of applications. When I spoke to our solicitor in when we were over in march, she said they had enough applications then to take them through to september, I've been advised that we may not get an appointment before december when we arrive mid august.

She said that they were getting residency enquiries from people who had been living in Spain for over 20 years GO FIGURE.

Added to the fact that most regions now only use one office for the appointments if you are British. In the Alicante region the office is in the city, you cannot go to benidorm anymore.
That always was going to be a problem the under the radar people. Myself I have residencia however my wife hasn't as due to the pension age increase has only just been able to retire. So like yourself we are hoping to get her a residency appointment as soon as available. One Question someone may be able to answer the s1 I have that for my wife as dependant however unable to do anything with it until she gets residency. I am assuming there is no time limit by which the S1 has to be registered with the INSS office ? Given delay re residencia appointments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.